frustrated

Options
I used to be 243lbs and got down to 173. Wow your thinking thats good.. whats the complaint? I started to gain weight fast . Last month I went glueten free and gained. Started to track calories and following the Amen solution and gained. Had my thyroid tested and nothing. Now dr says try this ( the book your fat will make you thin) and take 12000 steps a day plus your elliptical and that should do it. I am not a dr but is carb free life really healthy? Don't know what to believe.

Replies

• JenOman
    JenOman Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I personally cannot function without carbs. They keep my brain working! Is there a reason you went gluten free? Or did you do it to try it? I am all about whole grains, veggies and nuts/eggs/yogurt for protein, occasionally I eat meat. Maybe your body just wants some carbs to function!
  • SherryGirl
    SherryGirl Posts: 40
    Options
    Gluten Free is hard. I started with weight watchers with the points system. It works but you have to stick with it. I am now counting calories and yes I find it really different then the Weight Watchers. Weigh Watchers teaches you to eat more form all the food groups while counting points. I too had to do the gluten free at the same time and I did loose. You just have to pick one that you find easy to follow and stick with it. Don't fall for any quick fix diets. Its a lifestyle change and you will have to live with it for the rest of your life...... to maintain and keep it off.
  • pauterson
    pauterson Posts: 65
    Options
    There's a big difference between carb free & the right carbs. Also, I've learned (after loosing and gaining alot back) that weight lifting really helps.... it not only helps shed the fat but it builds healthy lean muscle to help keep the metabolism going. Also, consume lots of protein and less pasta, potatos, processed foods, etc... Put your research hat on and dig in... I started researching on bodybuilding.com and have made a huge improvement. :-) Good luck.
  • christinabgsu
    Options
    I'm not familiar with that book, but live a lower carb life than most others. Not a no-carb, just try to make them worthwhile. I do well this way...most of the weight I've ever gained was when I went back to eating the less healthy carbs. When my nephews come to our house and ask for a snack they are shocked that there are no chips, cookies, bread, etc. We have healthy crackers w/no trans fat, nuts, cheese, fruits, veggies, etc. I have way fewer headaches when I'm good about my carbs, too. Do you have specific questions?
  • Jenlynphi
    Jenlynphi Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I have found going carb free makes me want to binge. I did try a gluten free diet for two weeks because of health reasons but I didn't notice any changes besides a little more energy, I have been stuck in a forever plateau and it is frustrating. If you are burning more calories than you are eating, you should be losing weight. But I'm not. Good luck on your weight loss journey. :-)
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I eat a pretty low carb diet (aiming for <50g) Most of my intake is from vegetables. I eat berries here and there, for dessert mainly. No grains or [added] sugar and VERY limited starchy veg. There are also a couple of grams that come from dairy/eggs. I don't generally have any cravings, and when I do, they're typically easy to either shove off or eat a single bite and move on. (I do also allow room for a meal or two out per week, and make as sensible choices as I can) I'm never hungry (seriously) and LOVE everything I eat. SO far, I've lost about 8 pounds in 5 weeks. Not tremendous, but it's consistent and I'm not doing anything I can't continue long term. HTH :flowerforyou:
  • astonbird
    astonbird Posts: 8
    Options
    Hello, your post really actually sounded just like myself! i used to be a size 22 and now im a size 10.. its so frustrating though because im trying to get down as well. Anyway less about me wow you really have done not just well but extremely well, but youve done the hard work and obviously the bigger you are when you start off the quicker the weight comes off but it takes a lot longer when your smaller as your stripping more and more fat. I understand you said your gaining weight as i had exactly the same problem - but it all depends on how much you want to loose as its basically just common sense as you already know the lower you want to go the stricter you need to be on your diet. Diet is actually nearly 90% key to loosing weight! Oh my i know! So the best way to do it is by allowing yourself to have a cheat day of course other wise your be craveing naughty things like mad.. or even balance it out over 2 days. I would suggest writing a food diary as this will show you exactly what your eating as most of us forget. Try to lay off dairy products as they are fattening but you need some good fat of course. But yes, carbohydrates are definately the worst of all and i know all us women um and ah about what ones are good and that we can eat and still loose weight... well bread is the main one to stay away from it is a complex carb and our body finds it hard to digest and us being women and hold more fat than men for babies it really does not break down easily however the best bread would be whole grain as it has good nutrisional values if you want to eat bread. Pasta is a no no i would say though because it swells and as we eat it we all tend to get that bloated feeling. As many people know they all get their portion sizes totally wrong so that can be another area in which you might want to consider. But if you do want pasta, or rice get brown as it hasnt been bleached and had all its good nutrients wiped out and noodles get rice noodles as they are much better. Myself im wheat intolerent so i cant really eat these which okay but you do need a bit of every food group in your diet otherwise your crave and binge and thats really not good!

Exercise
    Exercise may only be lets just say 10% to loosing weight but it is still extremely important! Try shocking your body, requently not everyday but like every say week as this will help your body loose weight as well because your body will get so used to a routine that it will adjust and your weight will platoe and you will find your be not loosing any more! I mean shock for example if you go for a jog do your usual jog then do lamp post work as i say (which i do and it really does work) which is when you mean a lamp post sprint or fast jog from one to another then jog to the next then power walk and then repeat a few times them go back to jogging as you may look a wally but it really does work. As well focus on your core muscles this is planking which tightens everything as really pulls all your muscles in as by connecting with your core muscles it can also make your body react in sucha way you loose weight through this.

I hope ive been of some help, im just about to look for some answers now myself but, i hope its gave you a few ideas.
    Well done so far thinking positive and treat working out as a way of getting to know your own body and how it works :)
  • TamaraGraceS
    TamaraGraceS Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I have always thought a carb free life is not healthy. I don't eat white flour ( Not a closet chip or chocolate person either). I have not enjoyed eating in years. it is more of a project then anything else. I went glueten free as a suggestion from another expert. I am tired of these people who have never struggled with their weight telling me what works. I broke down crying in his office today saying" I DONT WANT TO WEAR THIS STUPID FAT SUIT ANYMORE DONT YOU UNDERSTAND. "That is why I am here asking all of you.
  • TamaraGraceS
    TamaraGraceS Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Thank you
  • astonbird
    Options
    Oh no, hunny theres no need to cry. To look great is hard work, disapline and takes "time" a word we all hate i know but ive it happened quickly then everyone would look amazing and no one would stand out. Really you have done so well and should be proud of what you have achieved! It doesnt matter if youve put on a little bit of weight just means you need to solve the problem by changing factors one at a time and somethings bound to click and change! I know what you mean ive got a friend whos size 0 who gives me advice as she eats a massive takeaway- and dont put on weight. But i at least inside my body is healthy. Just be positive stick at it and im sure something will come up..
  • astonbird
    Options
    I forgot to ask what is a gluten free diet like then, like what do you eat and dont eat and things?
  • Ajontheguitar
    Options
    Gluten free is also not for everybody, and I would imagine it does not give the same effects to certain people. My girlfriend benefits from cutting down on it, as she tends to struggle with blood sugar issues, even fibromyialga-esque problems. So if you, it may help.
  • luvs_choc8
    luvs_choc8 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I too am frustrated regarding my weight gain. I have just got back from a holiday to Vegas where I did lots of walking and ate fairly healthy. Ended up gaining 2 pounds. Since I have been home, I have started the 30 day shred plus an additional 2 mile walk, eat 1000-1200 calories, and drink 12 glasses of water a day. I have gained another pound. Can anybody tell me what I am doing wrong or what I should be doing to jump start things again.