Trying to Figure Out Recipe....

Options
I have made a pot of red bean and am having difficulty trying to figure out the calories per cup.

I've entered all my ingredients into the MFP recipe calculator, but I am having difficulty figuring out how to divide it into cups.

Example: If a cooked pound of red beans = roughly six cups
Would I just say that the # of servings for the recipe is 6 in order to figure how many calories per cup?

Replies

• sparklyglitterbomb
    sparklyglitterbomb Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Weigh the finished dish, divide how many grams by the number of servings you think you'll get out of it (say 6) then you can portion out accordingly.

(Use weight, cups are much less accurate in pretty much everything :) )

and yummmm beans rock.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    I have made a pot of red bean and am having difficulty trying to figure out the calories per cup.

I've entered all my ingredients into the MFP recipe calculator, but I am having difficulty figuring out how to divide it into cups.

Example: If a cooked pound of red beans = roughly six cups
    Would I just say that the # of servings for the recipe is 6 in order to figure how many calories per cup?

Yes. It really is that simple.
  • Grammytryingtogetfit
    Options
    Good question.......I always go by a recipe......I would think so, but don't quote me.....lol
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    I would weigh the ingredients raw, cook the dish, weigh the cooked food and record the number of grams as servings. For example, if the finished dish minus the weight of the pot is 500grams, then it's 500 servings.

And then scoop out how much you'd like, weigh it and if it weighs 200grams, then log 200 servings.
  • kschwab0203
    kschwab0203 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback!
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I measure ours by the bowls we use for soup/chili/ham and beans. They hold approximately 2 cups, so we figure a serving for a meal is 2 cups. The first time I make the recipe, I'll measure out what it makes (in cups) by dipping it out into a second container then figure out how many 2 cup servings it makes. That way the next time I make the recipe if I stick to my original one I know exactly the serving size and calories.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I would weigh the ingredients raw, cook the dish, weigh the cooked food and record the number of grams as servings. For example, if the finished dish minus the weight of the pot is 500grams, then it's 500 servings.

And then scoop out how much you'd like, weigh it and if it weighs 200grams, then log 200 servings.

This. It especially helps because one day you may have 200g, and the next you may have 240g. The only time I use split equal servings is when I batch cook to be packed up for the freezer.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options

Definitely this. Since the beans are already cooked this time, though, go with @sparklyglitterbomb's suggestion.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options

If you want to be accurate, do it like this.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    The most accurate way to do it is the weigh it out method described above.

A lot of times, I'll just divide it into X servings by serving it out and counting scoops. For example, if I made chili and want it to be 4 servings, I'll get out 4 dishes (or 2 dishes for my husband and me and 2 storage containers) and do a "1 for me, 1 for you" until it's gone. Not as accurate, but hasn't hindered my loss.