diet pop? thoughts?

Options
i'm just very curious as to where everyone stands with diet sodas and stuff like coke "zero". if you're going to splurge a little and have a soda, is it less bad for you to just drink regular pop (albeit still being unhealthy)??

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,064 Member
    Options
    paulsbutt wrote: »
    i'm just very curious as to where everyone stands with diet sodas and stuff like coke "zero". if you're going to splurge a little and have a soda, is it less bad for you to just drink regular pop (albeit still being unhealthy)??

I dont think regular is particularly bad in moderation either - but it does have sugar (so not suitable for diabetics) and it does have calories so is too hard for me to fit into a relatively small calorie allowance

i have a regular one very occasionally now, perhaps couple of times per year - mainly if diet is not available.

I drink the equivalent of about 3 cans of diet soda per week - I like the taste and a (almost) zero calorie drinks fits into my goals much better.

• crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Not again sigh.....
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    paulsbutt wrote: »

There's nothing inherently unhealthy about either one. If you like the taste, diet is a good alternative to regular soda for zero calories.

Whether it is "less bad" or not depends on the rest of your diet and if you can fit the regular soda into your day.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I have always drunk diet coke because I prefer the taste... I don't drink other 'full fat' fizzy drinks very often because it's a waste of calories.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Soda isn't bad for you. Diet soda isn't bad for you. If you want fewer calories (like many of us do), diet soda can be a better choice than regular soda. "Less bad" depends on your goals and what you want to consume the rest of the day.

Regular soda can contribute to people consuming more calories than they need, which is why it is often singled out as a "bad food." If you're trying to lose or maintain weight, it's certainly something to look at. But it's just a source of calories, like others foods and beverages. It doesn't have any uniquely awful qualities.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you like and how they make you feel.
    I save my calories for food usually and very rarely drink soda pop. When I do drink it I just get regular because artificial sweeteners are a migraine trigger for me.
    If you personally don't have an issue with any of the ingredients or taste then it is fine to drink diet soda pop.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I love diet soda. My favorite is Coke Zero, but I have diet Coke almost every day, too. (It's what we have at work.) I don't know what you think is unhealthy about diet soda, but I've not found it to be harmful in any way.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Could we please just combine all these threads into a single one? I get so confuzzed.
  • thehexenbiest
    thehexenbiest Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I loooove Pepsi Max. And Cherry Coke Zero. No one's gonna take that away from me.

But then again, I only really care about calories in - calories out. If you're gonna go all health nut, yeah, I guess like most things you'll find in a supermarket, diet soda has its bad sides. I don't care, though.
  • delicaterealms
    delicaterealms Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    diet pops do not have zero calories. it's usually <10 per bottle/serving.
    it does feel bad for my body when i drink diet coke and fizzy drinks + i'm not a huge fan of them since they taste pretty nasty anyways.
    i do like bai and crystal light though
  • Karb_Kween
    Karb_Kween Posts: 2,681 Member
    Options
    Diet drinks have zero calories. That's all there is to it.

Actually they have like 10 caloriesbut they can get away with saying zero.

Why else does Coke and Pepsi have zero calorie drink options when they already have "diet" ones on the market?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Karb_Kween wrote: »

Why else does Coke and Pepsi have zero calorie drink options when they already have "diet" ones on the market?

Coke zero is different than diet coke. There is a big taste difference. Pepsi Max has double caffeine and ginsing so it is also different from diet Pepsi.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Karb_Kween wrote: »

In the US, it's less than 5 (except for Diet Dew which has 10 cals on a 20 oz, but the 12 oz can get away with listing zero, but is labeled a "reduced calorie soda" rather than zero calorie).

Coke zero, Pepsi Max/Pepsi Zero Sugar just have different formulations of sweeteners for flavor.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    diet pops do not have zero calories. it's usually <10 per bottle/serving.
    it does feel bad for my body when i drink diet coke and fizzy drinks + i'm not a huge fan of them since they taste pretty nasty anyways.
    i do like bai and crystal light though

Both Diet Coke & Crystal Light use aspartame for a sweetener. Not sure what's making your body "feel bad." Perhaps it's caffeine or carbonation.