Toning? More Weight for Women???

Options
I was talking with the PT at my gym today - telling him that I'm pretty happy with my current weight, but that I want to look more toned overall. I currently weight train about 3-4 times a week and fill my other days with pretty intensive cardio. His suggestion for me is to start lifting more. Specifically, he said he wants me to be able to squat lift and bench press my own body weight (150 lb)!!!
He said it's a newer school of thought that women should be lifting more weight, similar to men (not the same, but you know, relatively speaking). He said that contrary to old beliefs, because women don't have testosterone, our muscles will never get HUGE (unless we're taking supplements to get them that way in addition to major lifting), but they will tone. I'm intrigued by this.

He also reminded me that we need to be constantly challenging ourselves - if we're just doing the same things, not increasing weight, not increasing intensity then we will not see improvement. Seems like common sense, but I think it's a good reminder in the gym. If I'm not somewhat (or even VERY) uncomfortable during a workout, then I'm not working hard enough, in my opinion.

Anyway - just wondering everyone's opinions on this, especially those of you in the industry.

Replies

• sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Definitely agree!!!!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I want to be able to squat and bench press my body weight (145lbs). It is my goal though I don't have a time frame to meet it since I have steel rods in my spine AND a bulging disc in my lower spine. I have to take it very slowly, but I WILL do it.

I have been focusing more on toning since I hit my goal weight and I can definitely see a difference in my body.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Sounds like he's been reading "new rules of lifting for women"
  • suse75
    suse75 Posts: 33
    Options
    Makes since to me. When I tell people that I can leg press 200+lbs they tell me that my legs are going to be huge. I look at them & tell them that I have always beeble to do that & my legs are the best thing about this overweight gal :) my upper body has no strength though. it's all I can do to do 50lbs on the bicep curls at the weight machine. Since I have one hand, I have to use the machine instead of the free weight.
  • somigliana
    somigliana Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I totally agree! Since I started lifting heavy weights, I've seen some lovely definition developing. No huge bulk :)
    I'm still far off bench pressing my body weight, but I'm almost able to squat my body weight.

Good luck!!
  • scoops728
    scoops728 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, I highly recommend The New Rules of Lifting for Women by Lou Shuler. I never thought it was okay to lift heavy weight, but since starting this program I am seeing results so much faster than any other 'baby' weight program I have done in the past. And most of those programs I have trouble sticking with...maybe because of the lack of results. I am on Stage 5 of this program and absolutely love it. You should definitely check it out. :)
  • ElaKuz
    ElaKuz Posts: 49
    Options

My friend is a HUGE fan of this book... she lost all her weight through cardio and weight lifting but mostly cardio and then she took the next step and started doing this program.

She looks amazing!
  • Jenlynphi
    Jenlynphi Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    He also reminded me that we need to be constantly challenging ourselves - if we're just doing the same things, not increasing weight, not increasing intensity then we will not see improvement. Seems like common sense, but I think it's a good reminder in the gym. If I'm not somewhat (or even VERY) uncomfortable during a workout, then I'm not working hard enough, in my opinion.

My boot camp instructor swears by this too. I gripe and groan but I am noticing an all over toning. lol
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I'm 132 pounds and squatted 165 this morning at the gym. I'm sort of amazed as after 1.5 months of this I took my squat from 105 to my current 165. That's at an interval of 5 sets of 5 reps.

I have a ways to go on upper body. Can only bench 70, row 80. All simple barbell work. I started with the New Rules of Lifting program, but switched to Stronglifts 5x5 for its simplicity.

This and some very basic core work along with diet is getting rid of a very pesky stomach that I've been battling for quite some number of years. Amazing that a compound lift works the entire body so well :) Soooo yes, I agree with your trainer!
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Agree with him. I took the advice of a trainer at my gym and increased the weights while decreasing the reps and in the last month, I have had more people stop me and mention the total difference and definition in my overall body comp. It works!
  • kgagnon7779
    kgagnon7779 Posts: 216
    Options
    Hi, I highly recommend The New Rules of Lifting for Women by Lou Shuler. I never thought it was okay to lift heavy weight, but since starting this program I am seeing results so much faster than any other 'baby' weight program I have done in the past. And most of those programs I have trouble sticking with...maybe because of the lack of results. I am on Stage 5 of this program and absolutely love it. You should definitely check it out. :)
    Thank you - I just looked it up on Amazon.com and I think it's exactly what I'm looking for. Not to mention, the reviews for it are awesome!
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    Agree completely. In reality (for a completely balanced physique) your squat should be higher than your bench press 1 ½ times your bodyweight for example which would be 225 for you. A 150lb bench press and 225lb squat are not easy goals for a woman though, it will take hard work, a proper training program and a caloric surplus.

Here are some general weightlifting goals (these are just rough guidelines):
    Deadlift = 2 x BW
    Squat = 1.5 x BW
    Bench Press = 1 x BW
    Barbell Row = 1 x BW
    Overhead Press = .75 x BW

Here is good information that lays this out in more detail.
    http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.htm
  • kgagnon7779
    Options
    I'm 132 pounds and squatted 165 this morning at the gym. I'm sort of amazed as after 1.5 months of this I took my squat from 105 to my current 165. That's at an interval of 5 sets of 5 reps.

I have a ways to go on upper body. Can only bench 70, row 80. All simple barbell work. I started with the New Rules of Lifting program, but switched to Stronglifts 5x5 for its simplicity.

This and some very basic core work along with diet is getting rid of a very pesky stomach that I've been battling for quite some number of years. Amazing that a compound lift works the entire body so well :) Soooo yes, I agree with your trainer!

Nice!! Very impressive. As much as I weight train, I haven't really tried lifting a lot of weight (besides pull-ups - HA!), but am always doing a ton of reps with a mid-range weight. I really have no idea what I'm capable of, so I'm looking forward to finding out during my next workout!
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options

Nice!! Very impressive. As much as I weight train, I haven't really tried lifting a lot of weight (besides pull-ups - HA!), but am always doing a ton of reps with a mid-range weight. I really have no idea what I'm capable of, so I'm looking forward to finding out during my next workout!

Just go over to the squat rack and experiment :) It's pretty cool that your trainer is positive about it. Many don't seem to be big fans of compound lifts.
  • kgagnon7779
    Options
    Agree completely. In reality (for a completely balanced physique) your squat should be higher than your bench press 1 ½ times your bodyweight for example which would be 225 for you. A 150lb bench press and 225lb squat are not easy goals for a woman though, it will take hard work, a proper training program and a caloric surplus.

Deadlift = 2 x BW
    Squat = 1.5 x BW
    Bench Press = 1 x BW
    Barbell Row = 1 x BW

Thanks Greg - I'll check this out. The PT did mention he'd like to find out my max, which we'll probably do tomorrow. So, are these maximums you listed above? Do you say you can bench press 225 when you can only do it one time? Or are you expected to at least do a few at a time?
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with him, I love the definition I've had since lifting, and not lots of bulk :-) Not that far off benching or squatting my weight, but been training alot longer on upper unfortunately so they're around the same as each other at the moment when squats should be more :/
    It's definately do-able with a decent amount of training, and eating right :-) Go for it!!
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I totally agree! I didn't see the results I wanted till I started following the book "New Rules of Lifting for Women". It's a great inexpensive book!!!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

My friend is a HUGE fan of this book... she lost all her weight through cardio and weight lifting but mostly cardio and then she took the next step and started doing this program.

She looks amazing!

That's my plan! I just started reading it, I really like it. Weight off, I already can lift quite a bit, but I want to see how far I can push my body now.
  • rachel0923
    rachel0923 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    This sounds like Chalene Johnson! Her motto? Go heavy or go home! And she says the same thing as your trainer. I know some parts of my body tend to get more muscular than others (like my thighs!), but I don't think I could be 'built.'
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options

Deadlift = 2 x BW
    Squat = 1.5 x BW
    Bench Press = 1 x BW
    Barbell Row = 1 x BW

Thanks Greg - I'll check this out. The PT did mention he'd like to find out my max, which we'll probably do tomorrow. So, are these maximums you listed above? Do you say you can bench press 225 when you can only do it one time? Or are you expected to at least do a few at a time?

Typically you would qualify it by saying that it is your 1 rep max (1RM), 5RM etc… If you can get your 1RM to those numbers, then you are in pretty good shape.