Snacking

Do you find you snack in between meals? I've been having a mid-morning and mid-afternoon snack for as long as I remember. I gave up any type of granola bar entirely. I snack on fruit or cottage cheese or yogurt.

I'm wondering if others snack, too, and what a good energy-producing snack might be.

Replies

• fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    I have snacks everyday, there's nothing wrong with snacking, it's just making sure you include them in your calorie allowance. I love making smoothies, or adding dried fruits & nuts in yogurt, healthy snack bars, boiled egg on toast, avocado on toast or rice cakes, cheese, veggies and dips, healthy crisps.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Nothing inherently wrong with snacking. You need to look at your overall diet.

I personally prefer to eat full, balanced meals and only occasionally eat something "off plan". I don't buy chocolate, chips, candy, ice cream, cookies, cakes, so I'll usually have peanuts and sesame seeds mixed with honey or a few slices of salami or cheese or something. I made pumpkin pie for the first time today and it was delicious, a bit curious how I'll manage having it in the fridge.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,787 Member
    I snack pretty much every day. At least one snack, usually two or three. I keep string cheese and nuts at work for mid-afternoon snacks. I have popcorn or veggies with hummus or popchips and salsa or rice cakes with Laughing Cow at home. I'll pretty much snack on anything, though; if I'm out of the stuff I just listed I'm more than happy to have one of my breakfast yogurts at bedtime with some PB2 mixed in, or steal some of my son's Halloween candy, or steam a giant bowl of broccoli, or make a small sandwich, or or or...
  • applesandtapeline
    applesandtapeline Posts: 58 Member
    Snacks are essential in my nutrition, without them I'd go hungry between breakfast and lunch, and eat whatever is put in front of me (and at work they like to get them sweets lying around..) so I make my own oatmeal flapjacks and have a bag of nuts (30g so I don't overeat).
  • fyree39
    fyree39 Posts: 47 Member
    edited November 2016
    Snacks are essential in my nutrition, without them I'd go hungry between breakfast and lunch, and eat whatever is put in front of me (and at work they like to get them sweets lying around..) so I make my own oatmeal flapjacks and have a bag of nuts (30g so I don't overeat).

I work in a cubicle farm and there are candy jars all around me. *sigh* There have been days when I couldn't get in my afternoon snack. By the time I get home I'm gnawing off my arm and end up grazing all through dinner prep. Not good!
  • amandapleighse92
    amandapleighse92 Posts: 47 Member
    It's probably odd, but I eat a piece of toast (Use good bread,I don't use low calorie bread so it's like 110 calories.) I like Mack's Flax and and this brand "Dave's" I beleive. It's this guy with a guitar on the cover. It FILLS me up so I won't keep on munching plus it gives me energy to get up and get moving!
  • mccraee
    mccraee Posts: 199 Member
    I usually don't because I'm at work. If I fill up on lean protein & veggies for breakfast/lunch then I really don't need to
  • zilkah
    zilkah Posts: 207 Member
    I honestly snack all day. I feel like my "meals' are barely above snack size lol. I eat about every 2 hours. I like eggs for snacks and greek yogurt.
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    I love snacking, so I build it into my meal plan (afternoon and then a second dessert). My go-to afternoon snack right now is 1 lightly salted rice cake, with 1 serving (12 grams - about 2 TBSP) of PB2 topped with 10 grams (about 2 tsp) of mini semi-sweet chocolate chips.
  • blabrecque_xo
    blabrecque_xo Posts: 65 Member
    I snack all the time in between meals. My go-to snacks lately have been: greek yogurt with or without granola, carrots with hummus, an apple or banana with a tbsp of pb, a protein shake, a cheese stick and a serving of fruit.
  • kschwab0203
    kschwab0203 Posts: 610 Member
    I almost never snack. I just prefer to have larger meals. Every now and then I may have a little something in the evening if I am starving and I know it will be a while before I eat dinner.
  • vnb_208
    vnb_208 Posts: 1,359 Member
    snacking as i read this ! brown rice cake & 1 tsp of organic peanut butter
  • VeganRaptor
    VeganRaptor Posts: 164 Member
    I have two to five snacks every day :)
    I snack between meals plus two at night because I get hungry then.
    I often snack on fruit, crackers with hummus/vegan cream cheese and jam/peanut butter and jam, bread and margarine, and chocolate occasionally!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I usually have an afternoon snack...my wife buys these little trays of carrots and grapes with a handful of pretzels and a few tiny cubes of cheese...I like them because I prep and brown bag my breakfast and lunch and that's just something I can grab from the fridge and don't have to do any additional work.