Help me fit into my wedding dress!!!

Options
Hey there,

So, I made the mistake of ordering a wedding dress online, the measurements are 38 inch bust, 31 inch waist and 41 inch hips. At the time, I wasn't thinking, my bust was 38 inches and my hips 39 inches, so I figured oh, I will be able to fit into that no problem (ordered it two months ago and wedding is 08/08). Ok, shortly after I thought i better research how many inches you can loose off of your waist since my waist at the time was 35 1/2, and I found that 1 inch is generally 10lbs... it was too late to change the order. So, today I am 34 1/2", and if I wear a very uncomfortable corset it brings me down to 33". I haven't received the dress yet so I don't know how bad it is, but assuming it's a 31" waist, I am in big trouble and need your help figuring out how I can get down enough to squeeze into this thing in 3 1/2 weeks. I am desperate!!! I guess, if by the end of July it doesn't zip, I can go get the back changed to a lace up, but I don't' want to just give up that easy.

Replies

• sccamero
    sccamero Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    If push comes to shove, I say go and get the dress altered by a good sew person (as a last resort). Just keep trying to lose the weight anyways (work out 6x a week) and you might be surprised. good luck!
  • WWhitaker
    WWhitaker Posts: 309
    Options
    Spanx!!!! Also, reduce your sodium intake to limit any water retention. Push comes to shove, I would personally take some drastic measures that aren't really that healthy. But, I myself am getting married so I understand the stress. Maybe try a body cleanse. Definitely invest in some Spanx though! Every girl should have a pair no matter what!
  • lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    If push comes to shove, you can get a wrap at a salon. It's totally temporary, but you will lose a good couple of inches off your waistline. A friend of mine who designs custom dresses used to get so angry when brides came in for final alterations after having one of these done. Like I said, it is totally temporary, but you could do it if desperate.
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Also, if worst comes to worst they can let it out a little bit. Watch your sodium, drink lots of water to help prevent bloating! Good luck.
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I echo the sentiment of the first poster. Don't take any chances and get it altered to fit if you can.

You have less than a month. I wouldn't recomment Ideal Protein long-term but I've heard from a few people that it will make you lose weight really quickly.

If you want healthier, I'd recommend doing a Paleo-style diet (low-carb). Gets rid of a lot of bloat pretty much right away, which might shrink you an inch in the first few days. Lots of people lose weight quickly on it too so that could be worth a shot.

Still though, I'd alter it, if I could, to fit correctly.

Edit: I'll repeat what one person said - watch your sodium levels since it makes you retain water.
  • tbisca1
    tbisca1 Posts: 142
    Options
    I agree with working out 6 days a week. I have been doing that for the past 6 weeks and have lost 3 inches in my waist and 25lbs! Just being on here and logging my info has helped tremendously!
  • cheesesandwich
    cheesesandwich Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Spanx, definitely ... and maybe cut back on sugar? This purely anecdotal, but my sister had a similar problem with her wedding dress. She cut WAY down on sugar in the weeks before her wedding and had to have it taken in several inches just before the date. Something to look into, good luck!
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    Like other people have said, lower your sodium intake, also remove caffiene. I personally would do a cleanse a the weeks before the wedding.
    I'm sure you will look lovely in your dress and feel beautiful! Congrats! :)
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I lost three inches off my stomach for my wedding... Here is what I did.

I upped my protein to 40% of my intake (you can set your own percentages on here)

I also cut out all dessert, pop, candy, sugary cereal, etc... anything with an excess of processed sugars....

I also did cardio like crazy atleast 4 times a week for about an hour.

My waist shrunk from a 27 1/4 inch waist to a 25 1/2 inch waist.

I did all this and it took me a month to drop almost three inches.

DO it sista!
  • Raskle12
    Raskle12 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I do know generally* dresses can be let out about an inch or so, so if all the other things (water, no salt, wrap, etc) don't work that may work. My advice is to drink water like crazy, it will not only let you loose some water weight, but also will flush your system and skin of toxins and help you be that beautiful bride with glowing skin. :happy:
  • Minilover36
    Minilover36 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    CARDIO, CARDIO, CARDIO... dont worry about lifting weights untill after the wedding. Try to run/ fast walk ATLEAST 30 min a day. Or try the elliptical or bike. Also be sure to cut down your calories and if you want even quicker results cut out most of your carbs (sugar and breads). I was 15 lbs over weight to fit into my wedding dress and I dropped it all withhin a few weeks. (the reason I gained the weight in the first place is b/c I ate out for lunch everday so be sure to fix your own lunches and dinners).

GOOD LUCK and congratulations!!
  • ckncj
    ckncj Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    LOVE spanx!

You could always get the dress altered...have as much as possible taken out in the waist.
  • Riebop
    Riebop Posts: 275
    Options
    Definitely get the back altered to a lace up style so you know it'll fit. You don't want to cause additional stress on yourself during an already stressful time. However, keep trying to lose weight in a healthy manner. I wouldn't do anything over-the-top to lose those inches. Just keep it healthy.
  • MsNiss
    MsNiss Posts: 57
    Options
    I don't like the no carb diets at all, BUT, when I did the first (and only) one (atkins) about a year ago, I lost about 15 pounds in two weeks, and I found that a lot of that weight came from my stomach.

Of course, this works differently with everyone, so who knows how it would work for you. I'd suggest just drink TONS of water, and really, REALLY push yourself at the gym.

Good luck, and congrats on the wedding!
  • charvey333
    charvey333 Posts: 11
    Options
    Thanks guys, it actually really helped me to post this and read everyone's suggestions. I am stressing out about it. I think I will take everyone's advise and plan on getting the dress altered, it sounds like it might be too big in the bust anyway. And I will still try to loose weight and just not stress out about how much. I am going to cut down on salt/sugar and drink tons of water. I do feel so much better. Stressful times!!