Off Topic.. But WIGS?

Options
HEY!
So i've been sick this past year and because i've been SO ill, all my hair now has "Telogen Effluvium". Which, apparently means my hair goes into an "abnormal rest pattern" and falls out from the root.
It falls out super easy when anything pulls on it. (no extentions) ..So I have been exploring options to make myself look better for school that starts in early September.
They arn't sure how much i'll lose but expect it all to fall out in the next few months and i've already lost alot... My friends have never seen me without hair and i really want a wig that looks natural, i dont want to have to explain.
...So i'm new to this wig thing and was wondering if anyone had ideas or tips. I'm a senior in Highschool and all the wig shops around carry older women wigs or wigs for, well, black people. I'm open to any ideas. I've considered switching schools over this.. lol

Replies

• CaRmenSandieGo0
    Options
    I don't know where you're from...but in Brooklyn, NY..even people who have hair wear wigs....I love them, I own a million.
    I had dreadlocks for 11 years...got into Nursing school, and shaved my head..
    I don't like chemicals in my hair...and I still want a job (hard to get one with an afro)

SO I wear a wig..
    GO FOR IT!!!
    peace:laugh:
  • nathalie24
    nathalie24 Posts: 22
    Options
    Awesome! I live in Virginia. We dont have many wig shops and i've never met a person my age that wears a wig. But should i get Synthetic hair or Real human hair?? And should i order one online since we dont have good shops? or are wigs a thing that HAS to be tried on?
  • lifeaccordingtolily
    Options
    go to wigs.com they have different hair textures (curly straight wavy) Every length you can think of and a lot of styles. I am a hair dresser and if you take care of it correctly then it will last for ever and your hair will always be styled!
  • sharonfincher1
    sharonfincher1 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Wigs today are a fashion statement...... ppl wear them all the time for every occasion....and every nationality
  • pharah
    pharah Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Lace front wigs you can try looking into to those. I have both types of wigs but the lace fronts I love!! They look like its growing from out of your roots gives a more natural look. You can also go on you tube and type in lace fronts and there are a lot of ladies that will show you diff styles and show you how to apply.
  • CaRmenSandieGo0
    Options
    Disclaimer:

I have a million wigs...so I'll put you on to what I know.
    My hair is "natural"..meaning, if I take my wig off...I have a 15 inch afro..before that I had dreads....(think Peter Tosh).

SO my introduction to wigs came from girls on my block...who wanted to go "natural", but wanted to look cute in the "process".

Street Knowledge:
    I never ordered a wig online...cause with wigs...you really have to try them on to see if they fit "right"...and if you like the style..
    What may look right on one girls head...won't look right on yours....just saying.
    I never get the Synthetic ones because they get tangled and stuff..and you can't curl it the way you can curl human hair wigs..(AGAIN...this goes for the Wigs that are sold...on Flatbush AVe. in Brooklyn NY...could be different in other places)
    I like human hair, because you can curl it...and wash it.,..you can wash synthetic wigs, but its just "DIFFERENT".

OMG...the world of hair is CRAZY...and the more you research..the more you can do.

If you don't want to buy a WIG...maybe you can make your own WIG using a STOCKING CAP...I know it sounds CRAZY...but 'youtube'....wigs and stockingcaps...
    It will shock you. There are so many Black women out there with hair issues...on youtube...and they just made something work for them.

The wig..you see in my profile pic, I made myself...its human hair and it took me a day to sew everything on, cut...and curl it

Good Luck Bella...
  • CaRmenSandieGo0
    Options
    Even tho..the wigs in the shops in VA, have a limited selection...get a wig you want (human hair)...buy some tracks to match the hair on that same wig you purchased..

Then sew it in..or ask someone to help you at a salon...fix it to what YOU like...that means trying it on...and finding a style you like..
  • nathalie24
    nathalie24 Posts: 22
    Options
    THANK YOU ALL SOOO MUCHH <3:) im still searching for a Caucasian human hair wig in Virginia that is a s long as id like it to be.. not having much luck but maybe ill find one eventually.