What would you do?

Options
When I'm working out, if I see someone using a machine incorrectly, I'll go over and ask them if they would like me to help them use it properly so they can get the most out of it. I don't mind doing that. So far, everyone's been grateful.

What do you do though when you see someone who is very heavy in the belly area just doing the crunch machine over and over and over again. Nothing else except for a slow stroll around the track. I think they think they're going to make their tummy smaller by just doing crunches - the whole targeted weight loss thing.

Would you tell them? Would you offer to help them? I mean to each their own and everything, but I would think I would want someone to tell me.

Replies

• melinda6569
    melinda6569 Posts: 124
    Options
    I don't think i would just go over and say hey your doing it wrong..i think i would start up a conversation and see what their goal was..and then give them some ideas on what they should be doing and how to go about it..
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Even though it's well-meant, I think I'd be offended if someone came up to me when I was working out and offered unsolicited advice. For me, personally, it takes a lot of courage to work out in front of people in the first place - all I would hear is "You're doing it WRONG WRONG WRONG!" rather than a kindly meant "I really want to help you make the most of this."

I don't belong to a gym now but when I did, I really didn't pay attention to what other people were doing or how they were doing it.
  • SimplyDeLish
    SimplyDeLish Posts: 539
    Options
    Unless you are a certified trainer, you are putting yourself at risk by instructing people. Even though your heart is in the right place...
  • PJFaber
    PJFaber Posts: 47
    Options
    The best thing would probably to strike up a conversation and see what their goals are. May for them right now just moving and getting start is their only goal. I know that I didn't work out at the gym until I had lost 100 pounds. I applaud those with enough confidence and will power to go when they are first starting out.
  • TeenaMarina
    TeenaMarina Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Even though it's well-meant, I think I'd be offended if someone came up to me when I was working out and offered unsolicited advice. For me, personally, it takes a lot of courage to work out in front of people in the first place - all I would hear is "You're doing it WRONG WRONG WRONG!" rather than a kindly meant "I really want to help you make the most of this."

I don't belong to a gym now but when I did, I really didn't pay attention to what other people were doing or how they were doing it.

This. I'd be offended and embarrassed. I don't belong to a gym anymore either but when I did, I just wanted to do my workout and be invisible. And I learned by watching other people and by figuring out what worked for me and what didn't, and over time I improved and got better at what i was trying to do. It's nice that you want to help people, but they may not see it that way.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    This website is an excellent resource for information. I have learned so much in 2 months and still find something new everyday. Maybe you could just strike up a conversation with them casually about fitness and weight loss. Recommend the site to them, and let them discover what they need to know on their own. That way you don't seem rude or obnoxious and you just made yourself a new friend. Maybe even a new workout buddy. :happy:
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I know one of the fitness trainers at our gym and I asked him about this sort of question once. He told me he never gave advise unless asked, even though he is a paid trainer.
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Guess I'll just keep to myself. Thanks for the input everyone.
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    One thing to think about, if they have weak abs, then the ab machine may be a good idea. I have some fairly serious piriformitis issues. Strenghtening the psoas is supposed to help with both. Which depending on the ab machine could be happening. Just something to consider, you really never know the other person's circumstances.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    Why are so many people embarrassed about working out in a gym? It is once place where everyone there has something in common. Regardless of the shape they are in, there is at least once thing about themselves that they don’t like and are trying to improve.

I have helped correct the lifting form of several people and they have all been appreciative. I do make it known however that I am not a trainer of any kind.
  • landorki
    landorki Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Unless you are a certified trainer, you are putting yourself at risk by instructing people. Even though your heart is in the right place...

this! It is sad... but true!
  • jbbolton
    jbbolton Posts: 10
    Options
    For a complete stranger I would not offer any advice. For a work out partner I would offer it and hope it was offered to me.
  • justsarah
    justsarah Posts: 17
    Options
    I like to be left alone at the gym. Away from kids, headphones on, it's my alone time... it would really bother me personally.

It sounds like your heart is in the right place, though. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. :)