Easing into a new meal regiment: Paleo

Options
Attempting to go paleo. One day at a time adding more vegetables and removing dairy based items from the line up. I made steak for the first time today! Any easy Paleo meal suggestions?

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Meat, veg, sweet potato.

Search for paleo recipe blogs, there are lots. I'm not paleo (and don't really think it's a healthier way to eat than others, and especially think the restriction on things like legumes is super goofy) but the above is a template for a lot of my meals and I look at lots of different kinds of blogs for food ideas. If it helps you eat more vegetables and get more excited about cooking from whole foods, that's good.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    Roasted veggies are a great staple to add to your paleo diet. You can find charts or websites that show different temperatures and times to roast different veggies, but in essence, it's a teeny bit of an oil rubbed over them, the option to rub salt or other herbs over them, and then you just roast them until done. They caramelize a little bit, develop a deeper flavor.

But roasted veggies can be blended up in the blender and used as a sauce over meats or other veggies. Or the blended up veggies can be added to broth to make nicer soups, or to make more complex sauces, or to put over baked, mashed root veggies (like sweet potato), or added as a good ingredient to one-pot dishes. They taste nice on their own, too.

A super easy, tasty paleo compliant soup is this: put one large onion and one med-large eggplant in a shallow pan and bake until completely cooked through and soft. Don't even peel them, just stick 'em in.

When they are soft, let them cool, then peel and blend them up in a blender. Add the blended veggies to a couple cups of chicken or veggie broth, heat, add salt and pepper and a squeeze of lemon to taste, and soup is done. The roasted onion especially gives it a really deep flavor that's quite nice.

Some other ideas:
    - green chile, beef, and pumpkin or squash fry up - there are many recipes you can find with those three ingredients (you might have to specify squash).
    - roasted chicken with sweet potato mash or fries plus a salad.
    - Add slow cooked mushrooms for some umami flavor when you might otherwise have used soy sauce
    - If you don't have an electric ice cream maker and can afford one (I think you can get some cheap ones for under $30), these are AWESOME. Because all you have to do is get some fruit. If it is soft, blend it up and make sorbet out of it. If it is not soft, cook it until it IS soft, then blend it up, let cool, and make sorbet out of it. It makes it easy to get a really healthy, super quick dessert when your sweet tooth might kick in and make it a challenge. We just made sure we had ripe fruit and typically didn't even put in sweetener of any kind. A nice one was cooked apples, mixed with cinnamon and or cardamom/cloves/nutmeg - it tasted kind of like if you made apple pie into a sorbet. :-)
    - If you try what they are calling 'zoodles' now - zucchini, or carrot, or squash that is peeled with those spiralizer kind of peels, so they are thin strips like noodles - the roasted veggies over those are great.
    - pesto of all kinds - you can make a super easy pesto-like sauce for meats or veggies or zoodles with this basic recipe: leaves (herbs, spinach, etc...) or easily blended up greens of some kind (I've seen cauliflower florets used) +nuts or seeds (pine nuts are traditional with basil but I've seen things like walnuts and broccoli) + oil + salt/seasonings. Just blend them all up in a food processor (there are tiny ones that are sometimes less than $20 on sale) or in a mortar and pestle and use like regular pesto. Since there is no cheese with this, stronger tasting herbs, or more seasonings, may be useful. You want it strong, because only a little bit gets used.
    - Look up common staple sauces or condiments for various countries. Various Asian countries, middle eastern countries, and African countries have some really awesome condiments that can be completely paleo. Like there was one I came across - can't remember where - that was basically a ton of lemon juice, oil, and chopped garlic that is just topped onto meat or veggie dishes and tasted wonderful.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Out of interest, why are you doing paleo?
  • mccraee
    mccraee Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    the hardest problem w/ paleo for me is sticking to it. So, I would advise trying to figure out what is going to satisfy you long term. Personally, I get sick and tired of eggs for breakfast. And, it is hard if you're not cooking at home a lot
  • purplepadres
    purplepadres Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Don't forget your healthy fats if you're following a paleo diet. It'll make it that much easier to feel full & satisfied if you add some avocado, olives, coconut, etc. to your plate. And quit thinking of meals as breakfast/lunch/dinner. If you eat eggs every day, most people will get sick of them. Nothing wrong with eating last night's leftovers for your morning meal. I love taco salad for my first meal of the day. Or soup with protein. I make shredded chicken or pork in the crock pot and throw it in/on everything during the week.
  • Frankenbarbie01
    Frankenbarbie01 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Don't over think things, been paleo (lately a bit less restrictive) for 5 yrs and have to say I just feel better when I avoid grains, soy and dairy. Great place to start is Primal Blueprint - Mark Sisson and another one The Paleo Solution -Robb Wolfe, both have websites and books. Do what makes you FEEL good and if you really want a challenge and a solid reset The Whoke 30 - Melissa Hartwig. No matter what people's opinions are do what makes you feel the best! Good luck!
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Been paleo for 9 years and calorie counting for 2. It helps my ibs and i feel healthier on it. Im not 100%, more like 80%.

I do roasted and steamed veg with meat and various home made sauces. Thats my staple. casseroles and soup too.
  • sociology222
    sociology222 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    shaumom wrote: »
    Roasted veggies are a great staple to add to your paleo diet. You can find charts or websites that show different temperatures and times to roast different veggies, but in essence, it's a teeny bit of an oil rubbed over them, the option to rub salt or other herbs over them, and then you just roast them until done. They caramelize a little bit, develop a deeper flavor.

But roasted veggies can be blended up in the blender and used as a sauce over meats or other veggies. Or the blended up veggies can be added to broth to make nicer soups, or to make more complex sauces, or to put over baked, mashed root veggies (like sweet potato), or added as a good ingredient to one-pot dishes. They taste nice on their own, too.

A super easy, tasty paleo compliant soup is this: put one large onion and one med-large eggplant in a shallow pan and bake until completely cooked through and soft. Don't even peel them, just stick 'em in.

When they are soft, let them cool, then peel and blend them up in a blender. Add the blended veggies to a couple cups of chicken or veggie broth, heat, add salt and pepper and a squeeze of lemon to taste, and soup is done. The roasted onion especially gives it a really deep flavor that's quite nice.

Some other ideas:
    - green chile, beef, and pumpkin or squash fry up - there are many recipes you can find with those three ingredients (you might have to specify squash).
    - roasted chicken with sweet potato mash or fries plus a salad.
    - Add slow cooked mushrooms for some umami flavor when you might otherwise have used soy sauce
    - If you don't have an electric ice cream maker and can afford one (I think you can get some cheap ones for under $30), these are AWESOME. Because all you have to do is get some fruit. If it is soft, blend it up and make sorbet out of it. If it is not soft, cook it until it IS soft, then blend it up, let cool, and make sorbet out of it. It makes it easy to get a really healthy, super quick dessert when your sweet tooth might kick in and make it a challenge. We just made sure we had ripe fruit and typically didn't even put in sweetener of any kind. A nice one was cooked apples, mixed with cinnamon and or cardamom/cloves/nutmeg - it tasted kind of like if you made apple pie into a sorbet. :-)
    - If you try what they are calling 'zoodles' now - zucchini, or carrot, or squash that is peeled with those spiralizer kind of peels, so they are thin strips like noodles - the roasted veggies over those are great.
    - pesto of all kinds - you can make a super easy pesto-like sauce for meats or veggies or zoodles with this basic recipe: leaves (herbs, spinach, etc...) or easily blended up greens of some kind (I've seen cauliflower florets used) +nuts or seeds (pine nuts are traditional with basil but I've seen things like walnuts and broccoli) + oil + salt/seasonings. Just blend them all up in a food processor (there are tiny ones that are sometimes less than $20 on sale) or in a mortar and pestle and use like regular pesto. Since there is no cheese with this, stronger tasting herbs, or more seasonings, may be useful. You want it strong, because only a little bit gets used.
    - Look up common staple sauces or condiments for various countries. Various Asian countries, middle eastern countries, and African countries have some really awesome condiments that can be completely paleo. Like there was one I came across - can't remember where - that was basically a ton of lemon juice, oil, and chopped garlic that is just topped onto meat or veggie dishes and tasted wonderful.

Thank you sooo much for this information. It gives me a creative place to start with this.
  • sociology222
    sociology222 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Out of interest, why are you doing paleo?

Of all the eating regiments I've tried I think it is easiest and safest for me to attempt this type of diet. I cook at home a lot and then I can manage the variety of food it allows. Also, want to ween myself off of complex carbs and unnatural sugars.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    OP, it was probably a typo, but I think you meant regimen -- a regiment is a group of army troops. :)