Shins hurting after running.

Options
So I got my friend to do C25K. She's on the first week and loves it! The only problem is that her shins hurt. She told me she stretches a little before her run, but mainly after her run. I told her Id post a message for her (since she doesnt have MFP =() to see what advice you all have for her! Thanks =)

Replies

• lausa22
    lausa22 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Tell her to buy some better running shoes. The impact is too much on her shins, so it'll be shin splints.
  • skibrina
    skibrina Posts: 36
    Options
    hello. I have the same issue. i just keep going. i try not to think about it. if it hurts really bad, i slow it down. but i find the more i stretch before and after it is starting to go away!!! just keep with it.
    :)
  • blesliemeow
    Options
    Depending on how severe the pain is she should take Ibprofen for the inflamation. But obviously I wouldnt encourage her to do that every single day! Running track for 6 years has shown me that there is no fast cure to shin splints -they only go away with rest :( BUT take care of the pain with ICING after every single workout and calf massages usually help the muscle relax enough to stay loose :) Good luck
  • MrsRadder
    MrsRadder Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I get shin splints really bad! She might want to try new shoes which helps, try run off the road if you can. And if worst compression socks. :) Good luck it's hard!
  • LoraEllen
    LoraEllen Posts: 81
    Options
    I had this problem when I first started running. First of all remind her it is temporary. Her muscles are not used to what she is doing but with regular runs this will improve. She should not give up. Second, when I did have this problem it would usually go away after my muscles were warm in the second third or fourth mile. It varied. My final advice is two products that she can use that also helped me when my shins were sore. Biofreeze and Mary Kay's Mint Bliss Lotion (it has eucalyptus in it) Most of all take it easy and realize that this is normal. Don't let her get discouraged. It may take a while to see the change but she will.

Good Luck!
  • taracarter42
    Options
    It sounds like she needs shoes designed for her gait. Have her turn over the shoes and look at where the shoes have worn down...insides or outsides? There is a good chance she isn't walking on the cent, and needs shoes specifically designed for her step pattern.
  • Pinocchio1977
    Pinocchio1977 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Tell her to buy some better running shoes. The impact is too much on her shins, so it'll be shin splints.

Yupper, shoes will normally take care of that! Stretching is very important too, whether they hurt or not...
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    yes better shoes, stretching and see a massage therapist... they have a way of talking to muscles to tell them to stop
  • PapaPolarBear
    Options
    the proper running shoe will benefit more than anything, I used to get shin splints really bad until i bought new shoes.
  • Minilover36
    Minilover36 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    This is very common for people that are new to exercising or began a new program that is more intense. It could possibly be the beginning of shin splints and the only way to improve them is to rest.

I would recommend her to slow down for atleast a week and use ice. If it gets worse than to stop alltogether and do some other exercise that doesnt impact the shins. When she starts back, start gradually.
  • CaptainAmerica1970
    Options
    Wow...Ouchy! there are many reasons why. correct cushion shoes? running surface? over worked? Ice? Ibeoprofine? elevate? perhaps walking more and longer before running. stretching before she exercises ie. walk on toes for 20-30 yards, walk on heel for 20-30 yards, jumping jacks for 30 seconds x3. there are many pre running warmups for shin splints. she might want to get them checked if they get worse so they are not serious.
  • vick9180
    vick9180 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Shin issues are almost always related to the type of shoe a person wears while running. If she's had her shoes for a long time and has used them for anything besides running, she might need new shoes. If her shoes are brand new, then it might take some time for her muscles to adapt to the shoe. If she's increased her mileage more than 10% from one week to the next, she might need to back off on mileage for a while until her muscles adapt to the distances she's running.

Either way, if she goes and buys little paper cups and fills them with water and freezes them, she should do ice massage on her shins after she's done running. No heat. I tear off the bottom of the cup and just rub it on the area for 10-15 minutes with a towel underneath to catch the drips. Also, some good strength training exercises are toe raises (not heel raises) and walking with the toes lifted, and/or she can get a thera-band and do flexion and extension with it while someone else holds the band.
  • purplecait1212
    Options
    I'm almost done with week 3 of C25K, and I had spints that first week too. The program has you walk for 5 minutes to warm up, but if time allows I briskly walk for anywhere up to 15-30 minutes before I do the 20 minutes of the program. This helps a lot because I am nice and warmed up when I actually do the hard part. Also hard points and flexes are great stretches for your shins: Sit with legs out in front of you and point the toes hard so your heels are of the floor for 20 seconds or so, then flex the feet for 20 seconds keeping the heels off the floor. repeat a few times!

Hope that helps and tell your friend to just keep going! I am loving this program!
  • MooseWizard
    MooseWizard Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I had this problem when I first started running. First of all remind her it is temporary. Her muscles are not used to what she is doing but with regular runs this will improve. She should not give up.

I can concur with this, as my experience was similar. I found R.I.C.E. techniques to help, particularly elevation. Sleeping with a pillow under my feet made big difference come morning.
  • kelseyannxo
    Options
    those are called shin splints. my friend taught me a stretch to do for those since she used to get them really bad in track...

-stand with both feet hip width apart.
    -put all your weight on one leg, keeping it straight
    -lift your toe up and down repeatedly at a very fast pace, so that you are pushing against the weight of your body.
    -repeat as many times as needed on both legs. remember to always keep the weight on the leg you are stretching.

this has helped her tremendously and she hasn't had shin splints since. also, tell her to try investing in better running shoes. hopefully this helps. :)
  • fitsaxon
    fitsaxon Posts: 57
    Options
    If shin splits-
    1. Running on concrete? Switch to a rubber track or find an outdoor trail.
    2. Use athletic tape to give the shins the support they may need. (An athletic trainer can show you how to tape for shin splints.)
  • Ajontheguitar
    Options
    Luckily most shin splints will go away/alleviate after some time. At least, once her body gets acclimated to running more. Tell her good luck!
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest getting insoles before sinking money into new shoes, it's probably an arch issue and insoles might help, also you can get a sleeve for your legs that helped me tremendously when I had shin splints (kind of like this: http://www.nextag.com/shin-splint-sleeve/compare-html). My shin splints occured because I was going flat footed and I had bad knees/ankles or something. When my shins start to hurt on a run I jog to a curb and put my toes on the road and keep my heels on the curb...it feels amazing. Just make sure there are no cars! .
  • MuShuHugh
    MuShuHugh Posts: 2
    Options
    I used to have this problem and it was really quite bad, I got to the point where I couldnt run at all anymore. Its down to running technique. In my case it was because I was landing hard on my heels when I ran (see link below for a better explaination). So I watched some videos on youtube about proper technique and took 2 weeks off to recover fully and worked hard to correct my running technique. Now I have absolutely no problems at all and haven't for about a year. Also correcting my technique has made me quicker and I can run for a lot longer. So it really paid off in the end. :)

Here is a link to get started with http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrOgDCZ4GUo
  • melinda6569
    melinda6569 Posts: 124
    Options
    I used to get shin splints as well..I agree lots of stretching before and after..good running shoes is a must..I do not get them as much anymore i stopped running and took it slow..intervals on the treadmill to build up the shins. now i can run up to 10-15 minutes without shin splints :o)