I need to lose 40 pounds

Options
lindaperez84
lindaperez84 Posts: 5 Member
edited November 2016 in Health and Weight Loss

I am 32 yrs old 4'11 170 pounds I want to lose 40 pounds, how many calories should I be eating a day and burning at the gym? How long will it take me to lose the weight?

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    plug that information into myfitnesspal. It should tell you exactly what you need.

I just want to add that it's awesome you're trying to lose the extra weight! At your current height and weight you have a BMI that puts you in the "obese" category. I am curious about how you came to determine your weight loss goal, because you would still be in the "overweight" category at 130 pounds. As a matter of fact, if your goal weight was 120 pounds you would be at 24.9 (RIGHT under the healthy BMI range for someone of your height).

I just wanted to point the above out as some people are disappointed by the way they look when they reach their goal weight and often have to lose significantly more than they initially think.

Keep going and I hope you reach your goals!
  • lindaperez84
    lindaperez84 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    No reason, it was a goal I set for myself
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You should probably aim for around 1-1.5lbs per week, which means it will take some figuring out how many calories to eat. You can either set up your account with MFP or use the TDEE model. Also, there is no benefit to aim for a specific amount of calories burned while you are in the gym, but rather the gym should be used to hit a specific fitness goal. What are our fitness goals or body goals outside of weight?
  • saanjali2003
    saanjali2003 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi, I want to loose 20 pounds.
    I weigh 145 pounds
    I m 5.1
    Any suggestions?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Hi, I want to loose 20 pounds.
    I weigh 145 pounds
    I m 5.1
    Any suggestions?

same advice, plug your information into MFP!
  • saanjali2003
    Options
    Did that but it's not working,I m eating 1200 calories a day sometimes less n take 10,000 steps daily. But still scale is not going down n it's been more then month.
  • saanjali2003
    Options
    I track even if I eat extra 1 spoon of rice, n I m eating healthy so far trying to avoid flour,bread, rice n potatoes.
    Not eating white fruits also.
    Only melons n berries I eat.
  • Ploofs
    Ploofs Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I am 32 yrs old 4'11 170 pounds I want to lose 40 pounds, how many calories should I be eating a day and burning at the gym? How long will it take me to lose the weight?
    Plugging your numbers into: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
    1335 calories - 1586 calories/day depending on how fast you want to lose (sorry for the large range but I'm not sure what you were going for). If you're going to exercise, just remember to eat back no more than ~50-75% of those calories since MFP vastly overestimates calories burned!

Did that but it's not working,I m eating 1200 calories a day sometimes less n take 10,000 steps daily. But still scale is not going down n it's been more then month.
    Are you weighing everything properly? Using a food scale? Picking accurate entries within the database? If you just started exercising there may be water retention.
  • saanjali2003
    Options
    Hhmmm,, Okk
    Thanks

• the_new_mark_2017
    the_new_mark_2017 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    @lindaperez84 I too need to lose 40lbs - 44lbs actually. Feel free to add me if you like, I need some motivation. :)