Any Soul Cysters Out There?

Options
I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2014. It was finally the answer I was looking for- why do I feel like this, and why can't I lose any weight. Although it was devastating to hear the news, knowing why was some what comforting.
But now I'm here, 2 years later, just as heavy. I take the meds and try to eat better, but seem to be falling a bit short.
I would love to make some friends on here who are in the same boat, and we can motivate each other and share ideas/tips. Feel free to add me!

Replies

• canadamomgetshealthy
    Options
    hi! i have pcps too and although i am heavy again now i am confident that weight loss is possible because i was very successful in the past.
    a bit of my story...
    i struggled with my weight for years, as well as other symptoms which i now know are pcps related. after reaching my highest weight and having a pretty traumatic misscarriage, my doctor diagnosed me with pcps. i did lots of research and because i desperately wanted children i accepted the fact that it would be more challenging to lose weight... so i worked very hard. i ate a low Gycemic Index diet and exercised 5 days a week. i lost almost 60 pounds, was in amazing shape, and had two babies! unfortunately i have fallen off that healthy wagon and am now back at my starting weight. now that my kids are a few years older I'm ready to work hard again!
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Can I add you just for the awesome thread title!?
  • eluvscats
    eluvscats Posts: 54 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I was diagnosed 12 years ago with PCOS and told by the doc at that time to "just lose weight." Dick move, Doc. I suffered with it for years, trying all the diets (MFP, WW, low carb, low GI, etc), until a doctor finally agreed to put me on Metformin after a ruptured cyst made me feel like I was being stabbed repeatedly in the stomach and I BEGGED for help. Now that I'm on the Met, I can use MFP and it actually works! I think medication management is really crucial for me. Some of us cysters seem to have luck with low/moderate carbs, but for me that gets too restrictive too fast and it's impossible to stick to in the long term. With MFP, I weigh and measure religiously, stay within my calorie goal, and always compare my average estimated deficit to my actual loss for a week or month, just to see if I'm losing at the same rate as expected. Apart from one week a month (period due to bcp), I am losing consistently. I gain water during shark week. Yay... Anyway, all that to say that it seems insurmountable sometimes, PCOS sucks so much, but it's doable. It might take some time to figure out what works for you though. Experiment and see how it goes. :)

Just for reference:
    SW: 255
    CW: 201
    GW: 185
    UGW: 127.5, so I can say I lost half my body weight ;)
  • FitWitBrit
    FitWitBrit Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Can I add you just for the awesome thread title!?

Of course! Add away!! and Thank you :-)
  • FitWitBrit
    Options
    eluvscats wrote: »
    I was diagnosed 12 years ago with PCOS and told by the doc at that time to "just lose weight." Dick move, Doc. I suffered with it for years, trying all the diets (MFP, WW, low carb, low GI, etc), until a doctor finally agreed to put me on Metformin after a ruptured cyst made me feel like I was being stabbed repeatedly in the stomach and I BEGGED for help. Now that I'm on the Met, I can use MFP and it actually works! I think medication management is really crucial for me. Some of us cysters seem to have luck with low/moderate carbs, but for me that gets too restrictive too fast and it's impossible to stick to in the long term. With MFP, I weigh and measure religiously, stay within my calorie goal, and always compare my average estimated deficit to my actual loss for a week or month, just to see if I'm losing at the same rate as expected. Apart from one week a month (period due to bcp), I am losing consistently. I gain water during shark week. Yay... Anyway, all that to say that it seems insurmountable sometimes, PCOS sucks so much, but it's doable. It might take some time to figure out what works for you though. Experiment and see how it goes. :)

Just for reference:

Amazing! So proud of you by the way, and appreciate you sharing your tips. I am also on Meformin and it helps alot. I also got put on birth control and it seems to help too. I had a dick doctor once too. I was gaining weight rapidly, and it was before I was diagnosed with PCOS. I was also having many other symptoms including missing my periods. She sat me down- and I kid you not- goes "Have you ever seen pictures of people from the Holocaust?" to which I obviously replied, "yes?". She responded, "those are people who are not eating. Clearly you are." I was stunned, horrified and humiliated. I told her as stern as I could, "I NEVER said I wasn't eating. What I said was something is wrong, and my eating habits have not changed and I'm packing on weight rapidly. As well as many other issues. You are offensive and need to be turned into the medical board, and I will NEVER be back". Needless to say, I was blessed to find a new doctor who diagnosed me within a visit, and scheduled blood work to back up her diagnoses. It's a shame doctors like the ones we experienced even go into the field. This is not the job for them.
  • eluvscats
    eluvscats Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    eluvscats wrote: »

Just for reference:

Amazing! So proud of you by the way, and appreciate you sharing your tips. I am also on Meformin and it helps alot. I also got put on birth control and it seems to help too. I had a dick doctor once too. I was gaining weight rapidly, and it was before I was diagnosed with PCOS. I was also having many other symptoms including missing my periods. She sat me down- and I kid you not- goes "Have you ever seen pictures of people from the Holocaust?" to which I obviously replied, "yes?". She responded, "those are people who are not eating. Clearly you are." I was stunned, horrified and humiliated. I told her as stern as I could, "I NEVER said I wasn't eating. What I said was something is wrong, and my eating habits have not changed and I'm packing on weight rapidly. As well as many other issues. You are offensive and need to be turned into the medical board, and I will NEVER be back". Needless to say, I was blessed to find a new doctor who diagnosed me within a visit, and scheduled blood work to back up her diagnoses. It's a shame doctors like the ones we experienced even go into the field. This is not the job for them.

Oh god, that is awful! I can't believe how these terrible docs think it's ok to say these things to vulnerable patients! Jesus Christ... They need better training in PCOS and being supportive and appropriate with people. Makes me so mad!
    I'm glad you found a good doctor now who is helping you. I feel like the newer doctors and nurse practitioners I've seen lately are more up to date on the difficulties and treatment options for women with PCOS, but the "old boys club" is not up to date at all. Anywho, I'm on Yasmin for bcp for PCOS as well and it seems to help somewhat but the Met made more difference in the weight department. :) And thank you! It feels like I have a long way to go still, but I have come a long way too and I hope other cysters know that it is possible! Keep fighting the PCOS monster! Never give up! Never surrender! :)
  • Indygirl_81
    Indygirl_81 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Hey all, I just read the posts and have too been diagnosed with PCOS. About 12 years ago, I lost 86+ lbs.... then I gained it all back plus some within 2 years. I got diagnosed about 5 years ago and hit my highest weight ever, recently. I have been unable to lose weight consistently this time around. I'll get down to about where I am now and then it stalls or goes up and I get very discouraged. I have a really hard time with LC eating as all I want to eat are carbs =( I tried the Met medication and it heightened my sense of smell so much that even a little odor made me gag/get ill.... I am working on increasing my activity but it doesn't seem to matter on the days I eat carbs. I tried BCP but they actually advise against it for me due to a genetic mutation I have- it is a blood clot risk, albeit a small one, but still a risk. I've had bloodwork and normal ranges for thyroid, so this doesn't appear to be it. I've thought about adrenal testing (by hair sample but it is expensive), does anyone have this problem too? Does anyone here have any other suggestions?
  • jojo9515203
    jojo9515203 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What is PCOS?
  • FitWitBrit
    Options
    What is PCOS?

polycystic ovarian syndrome
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,159 Member
    Options
    I'm a more mature soul cyster (by the way, there's a great site called soulcysters.net with tons of info) at 52. I self-diagnosed in my early 40s. Tried Metformin twice, annoyed that it didn't help me drop some weight, did birth control pills until I asked to stop at 49 (worried about all the fun side effects that occur with age). I've always been heavy but packed on a lot more weight in my 40s. 1411 days ago I started here. It's been slow, but the weight is coming off. A lot of the slowness is due to me still using food for comfort. Anyway, I was 248 when I started, now 140. I'd encourage all to stay with it, it can be done. I haven't been this weight since my early 30s.