Need some encouragement or a swift kick in the rear!

Options
Where do I start... I was very proud of my self in May because I had lost 16 pounds total(since February) and was getting into the low 160's. I could see the 150's right around the corner and was really excited. Then we went on vacation and I didn't log in for a week. I didn't eat terribly, but I didn't eat great and I was walking the beach every day. We came back from vacation and I was five pounds heavier than when we left! Okay I thought, it's mostly water weight, so I tried to get back to good eating and plenty of water. Well, my brain was still in vacation mode and I was super busy at home preparing for fireworks season(we own a stand). I was not as diligent as I should have been. So here I am now, still 4 pounds heavier than the end of May. I've been very discouraged and frustrated. And to be honest I'm getting fed up with logging everything(even though I know it's good for me). I seem to lose weight excruciatingly slow and had a trainer tell me that some people are just like that. He said to expect that I might lose one pound one week and then not lose anything for two weeks and to keep plugging away... Is anyone else here like that? Any words of encouragement would be much appreciated.

Replies

• webbstace
    webbstace Posts: 17
    Options
    I'm at almost the same place as you are...I could almost verbatim what you said about losing weight, then vacation and then my brain not coming back from vacation. I made a fresh start back today. Put what has happened behind you and do not think on it anymore. Look ahead and "plug along" knowing that you are making healthy choices for yourself. I know it is hard but try not to focus as much on the number but on how you are feeling & how clothes are fitting. If you don't keep measurements you may want to start. I have found that there have been several weeks where I didn't lose or barely lost but I have lost inches. Best wishes to you!
  • rainbowbuggy
    rainbowbuggy Posts: 320
    Options
    ME ME ME! I am the world's SLOWEST loser. My heaviest was 255...I have lost 70+lbs BUT it has taken me almost 2yrs to do so (Oct 2009) is when I originally started. People around me after two years have reached their goal weight...I in return still have 45 lbs to go! BUT I look at it like this...I only fail if I give up and I cannot move forward looking in the rear view mirror. Yes its hard, but you know what? I am worth it and I can only get to my destination if I keep moving forward. Hang in there!
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    Just remember how excited you were when you were approaching the 150's. Strive for that happiness. Good luck!
  • aprylkemper
    aprylkemper Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I've been there numerous times along my journey and I've learned that the best way to break it is to change the way I see it. Instead of seeing it as failure or backslide, I see it as a chance to do some troubleshooting and learn my body better.
    I was at 150 on June 4th and then have been bumping between 152-155 all the way through June (I too was extremely overwhelmed with stuff, for me it was work, a kid's birthday party, a rental house to maintain).

This week, I decided I needed to simplify things for myself. On Monday I was 152.4 and this morning I was down (to my shock) to 148.4. I am not saying that it will not still fluctuate or that the loss will continue in that pattern, it never does, but I chose a calorie cycle which moves my calories up and down through the week rather than the same intake each day (it coincides with the workouts I'm doing) and also sat down and choose 4 different options for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks that I would eat through the week, made sure I was stocked up and then have been writing out my food journal in the morning and following it, knowing that as long as I follow what I've already written out, I will be getting exactly the calories I need.

For some reason, this has made it easier for me to log everything at the beginning of the day and then only touch it again if I have to modify something. That and planning like that always make me feel comfortable

You have to try something to see if it works for you and you have to give things a chance to work (a week or two). Be patient, don't do anything extreme that will damage your long term results and keep logging, you'll be in the 150's in no time!
  • BeastieGirl
    Options
    Don't give up, you've been doing so well!

I lose really slowly too. I've been on this since 14th February and I've lost 12lbs, but I'm actually very proud of that. I have around 14lbs to go and my trainer told me on my current record it will take me 6 months to lose that, but that's ok with me. I do fluctuate a little but I haven't put any weight back on and my body shape has changed a lot and for the better.

But the best thing is how much my confidence has improved. The other lady was right, don't focus on your weight, but more on the fact that you are making healthy choices and living a better life. Stay with it!
  • faithgin
    faithgin Posts: 32
    Options
    im in the same boat. 100 days here and 7lbs. well actually since i came back from vacation it is more like 3lbs. (on a good day).
    i did better logging yesterday and today so far, i did my p90x for the day. send me a friend request and maybe we can kick each other into gear. L)( <----that is suppose to be my foot kicking your butt.