Hitting a plateau

Options
Hi guys! I've lost about 10lbs over the last three months. I'm not in a huge hurry to lose and I'm focusing on changing my habits. I had been losing at a pretty steady .5-1lb rate until recently where I have just been stuck. What helps you through the lull? I'm losing motivation quickly!

Replies

• Hammerschild74
    Hammerschild74 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    That's not really enough information. What's your diet/ training like? You're lifestyle?
  • thrillmonkey
    thrillmonkey Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm currently experiencing my second plateau, the first after I lost 20-25 pounds and the second now, between 30-35 pounds. I tend to get stuck in the "at least I tried now I can give up" mindset for about two or three weeks before I experience something that gets me back into it. This time it was being too large to be an extra in a film, last time it was a terrible first date. You just have to find something to motivate yourself, a goal to reach, or something you never want to experience again (for me, feeling gross). I hope this helps you!
  • shellyld2016
    shellyld2016 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking I'm at my first plateau this time. Not sure yet, but in the past it has always been changing things up that kicked me back into gear to lose. Could be good, exercise or both.
  • stm712015
    stm712015 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    How long have you been stalled?

Weight loss is not linear, more like stair steps: swish, stall, swish, stall. I tend to remind myself of this and keep logging my meals and stay at my calorie allotment. It's hard sometimes to be patient but if I know I'm logging accurately I try to ride it out. My stalls are never more than two weeks though. If you've been stalled for longer, maybe look at your logging to be sure your measuring correctly. Account for every single bite. Hidden calories can make a big difference. Good luck!
  • shellyld2016
    shellyld2016 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Not stalled yet just trying to avoid it. I know change and mixing things up can make a big difference. I'm just curious as to what works for everyone else.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Not stalled yet just trying to avoid it. I know change and mixing things up can make a big difference. I'm just curious as to what works for everyone else.

A true plateau is 4-6 weeks with no movement on the scale, and is generally caused by someone eating at maintenance (intentionally or unintentionally). The best way to combat it is to make sure your logging is as accurate as possible (everything is logged, weighed, no homemade/generic entries, etc.)