Fitbit vs MyFitnessPal

Options
I have searched the discussions, but cannot find a simple yes or no answer. Do you track your exercise on just your Fitbit or do you track on Fitbit and MyFitnessPal?
TIA

Replies

• kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I use Fitbit for any step based activity and let it record manually. If I do something that is not step based or an activity during which I can't wear my Fitbit, I log it in MFP.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I use fitbit for steps / activity, Runtastic for running & power walks and log directly things like lifting weights or planks. Any other activity like cutting grass or raking leaves I just let fitbit take care of.
  • Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I use fitbit for steps-based PT and Map My Fitness for strength training
  • kksmom1789
    kksmom1789 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    MommyMeggo wrote: »
    My fitbit is my activity tracker.
    MFP is my food tracker.

same! I let it automatically adjust how many extra calories i get but I only eat back 50-75 % incase I had errors in my logging I lost 3.4lbs this week still so many more to go
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I log my non-step exercise into Fitbit. Fitbit will add those calories to it's adjustment it sends to MFP (assuming my calories will be adjusted). It seems to work the best this way.
  • MaybeLed
    MaybeLed Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    MFP is my food tracker.

This is how I use it, the only thing I will track additionally is swimming (where I can't wear my tracker)
  • katiebean
    katiebean Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    MFP is my food tracker.

Same. I manually log my workouts into Fitbit. But they're not synced up, I just estimate (I don't recommend this, it's just laziness and not understanding technology. I'm at maintenance and it's worked so far so I'm not too bothered about it but it definitely leaves open room for error)
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    I use neither. I track calories consumed against weight lost/gained to get an average TDEE figure.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I use fitbit for activity and mfp for food. I enter work outs when Im not wearing fitbit (if it is charging) into the fitbit site too because I believe the calorie burn estimate to be more accurate. At the very least it is lower so I know Im less likely to be overestimating and eating back calories I didnt really earn.

Example: for my Insanity max30 mfp gave me over 400 calories and fitbit gave me between 200-300.
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I let my Fitbit do the calculations for me based on my steps, I don't enter any activity on either one but enjoy the extra credit that I get on MFP :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I don't put a lot of stock into a database of any kind...with a fitbit and other such devices (HRMs,etc) your actual activity is being measured and is going to be more accurate...granted, it is still very much an estimate.

When I was logging and tracking exercise calories, etc I generally compared values from several different sources...as I went along I was able to dial things in pretty good for any one particular exercise as per my results vs anticipated results...i.e. if I was going for 1 Lb per week but only losing 0.5 Lbs per week then I knew I had an error somewhere...for me, that somewhere was most often my estimated expenditure as it is much easier to be accurate with CI than CO.
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    MFP is my food tracker.

This, although anything that isn't step based and/or steady state you should log manually, e.g. cycling, lifting, any form of HIIT etc
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    bfanny wrote: »
    I let my Fitbit do the calculations for me based on my steps, I don't enter any activity on either one but enjoy the extra credit that I get on MFP :)

This. I don't fit into any of the activity categories on MFP so I let FitBit adjust my "allowed calories" for the day and use MFP to track my food.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,020 Member
    Options
    I use MFP to log my food and fitbit to log my exercise. I eat back all of my adjustment and it works for me.
  • jcrfts
    jcrfts Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi I just use fitbit to exercise although you can now use the app for food as well, but battery is chocking so I use my phone with endomondo which also links with MFP to a calorific input to your day for longer events such as running or cycling, anything that involves time and movement, indoor stuff like weights skipping and rowing I just leave to fitbit. its only a guide after all.
  • KristyF08
    KristyF08 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, looks like I will continue to do what I have been :)