Diabetes - Lower Morning Glucose

Options
Hi all. Three months ago my A1C was 10.4 and my doctor advised me to get healthier. She started me on 2 pills and I've been eating better. My A1C is down to 7.8 now. I'm struggling with lowering my morning fasting numbers. It is pretty steady from 150-190. I've stopped eating carbs at dinner, just protein and sometimes vegetables. Been eating more often, smaller portions but my fasting # won't move.

Any one else experience this? Any suggestions?

Replies

• liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Your morning fasting numbers reflect both on the food you have been eating yesterday and days before, and also how much glucose your liver wants to release in the early am so your brain doesn't starve. My am blood glucose is lowest when I maintain a steady diet of mostly vegetables, evening exercise, and my am blood draw right upon waking at the same time every day. I have not given up all carbs and in fact was quite surprised to have a low reading on a morning after a potato and bean dinner. Too much protein actually raises my blood glucose - perhaps because the body needs more energy to digest it.
    good luck

• Elizabeth2360
    Elizabeth2360 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this group! I have type 2 diabetes my numbers have been really high. I take 2 mediform a day 3 glipzide a day and one long last insulin shot ist the end of the day to get me through the night. I started last month eating no carbs, like breads, cereals, rice, potatoes, pastas, just meat trying to keep to lean meats, eggs, green type veggies low carb ones. Pretty strict I notice my numbers are going down! But having a hard time with all of the veggies bother my stomach . I do miss my oatmeal in the morning. I have never tried anything like this before . Besides lowering my glucose numbers I need to loose weight so If this helps I will be happy.
    Liz
  • jvcjim
    jvcjim Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    there are many paths that lead to T2 and everybody is different. fats seem to spike my morning levels more than cabs or protein. the key to getting lower numbers is learning your own triggers and loewering and monitoring them. for support there is a group community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1772-type-2-diabetes-support-group
  • SimplyMagick
    SimplyMagick Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this group! I have type 2 diabetes my numbers have been really high. I take 2 mediform a day 3 glipzide a day and one long last insulin shot ist the end of the day to get me through the night. I started last month eating no carbs, like breads, cereals, rice, potatoes, pastas, just meat trying to keep to lean meats, eggs, green type veggies low carb ones. Pretty strict I notice my numbers are going down! But having a hard time with all of the veggies bother my stomach . I do miss my oatmeal in the morning. I have never tried anything like this before . Besides lowering my glucose numbers I need to loose weight so If this helps I will be happy.
    Liz

Hi Liz, after awhile, your stomach will adjust to the veggies. They used to hurt my stomach too - especially salads. I took a probiotic for a few months while my stomach did adjust and that helped greatly.

My numbers have been lowering and throughout the day they are good even. The morning number though, won't seem to budge down to the "normal" or "good" range (as per my Diabetes:M app). However, the few times I splurged and ate like a huge bowl of ice cream before bed, my numbers were normal at the fasting AM! Obviously, I am not looking to make that a habit, but there has to be something I can eat at night with dinner that is like, a long lasting carb?!
  • nicolebaugh518
    nicolebaugh518 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Right now, I'm not diabetic, but I'm on the brink. Few weeks ago, I got my blood work and my A1C level is at 6.1, which is normal. That's not too bad, but I need to go lower. Still, I just continue to work out and eat right.
  • SteveHummer
    SteveHummer Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm Type 2, and have been working hard to lose weight for 18 months. Have found that the more weight I lose the lower my A1C goes. Started out at 13.5, and the latest blood work was 4.1. But I can still wake up with a 140 to 170 reading in the morning. Usually I can check my food diary and trace it back to high carb treat like pasta, pie or some other food that I know I probably shouldn't eat.