People of Color & BMI

Options
Not to isolate any groups or seem stereotypical, but I have a problem with the current Body Mass Index. Generally speaking, people of color tend to be shaped and built differently. I am latina and, although all body types exist in every culture, we tend to have bigger thighs/legs/butts/boobs, similar to black people. It's just the way it is.

When I calculate my BMI it says I am obese and that my ideal weight for my height (5'5") is 112 to 150---I am definitely overweight but obese? I don't think so and neither would you if you saw me. My body type is not one to ever go that low naturally. As a matter of fact, when I was 14 I weighed 135 lbs. and was very thin in appearance. I know BMI is a range but I think it is something that has to be mentioned particularly so that people of color do not get discouraged by it.

Replies

• JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    BMI is a bad way to measure health
  • Starkle09
    Starkle09 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    ive given up on carring about BMI....i'm 5'4.5 and 160lbs according to BMI i need to be between 110-140 to be considered healthy weight. its not gonna happen and i have no desire to make it happen. Do whats best for u and dont worry about the numbers
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    You're right, these charts don't take into consideration genetics and cultural differences.
  • mizzdivat
    mizzdivat Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on the BMI thing. I don't agree with it at all and I'm gonna go with an ideal with that I feel is healthy for me. It says I should be 140, but i'm going for 160 as that seems more comfortable for me. Do you girl :) Best to you
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I'm caucasian, but I still think the BMI is a bad tool. I carry muc of my weight in my hips and thighs. And I LIKE my butt. But according to the BMI scale I am at the high end of my healthy weight range. But to go any lower than my current weight would take waaaay more dieting and exercise than I think I have time for.

I figure, go with how you feel, and as long as your heart is healthy, your blood work is healthy, and you feel good, then keep with it.
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I agree. I'm half asian and hispanic and my lower half has always been bigger, especially my butt and thighs. I just try and not let the BMI bother me too much...I didn't before and haven't looked at it since...but now I want to LOL
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I havnt had mine done before, unless it is that pinch test thingy. if it is done on my leg then i would be over weight on my waist or arm i have way less fat.
  • agleckle
    agleckle Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    BMI does not take muscle into account... according to BMI, even very healthy body builders are "obese"...
  • sccamero
    sccamero Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Girl, I have huge hips and I am the same height as you. I am in the same boat but I am stopping at 160. BMI doesn't measure genetics at all. I am big boned and that is not excuse, I have seen my xrays lol.
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,204 Member
    Options
    You have a very healthy self-respect for your own body type. Go with what makes you feel most vital and and makes you uniquely beautiful! Other than maybe your doctor, no one can give you an absolute weight range that is best for you. Stay strong!
  • mnerfariousl
    mnerfariousl Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    BMI doesnt take a lot of things into consideration...i think body fat percentage is a better judge of what's going on...if i followed my BMI i would look like a lollipop...
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I spoke to my Dr about this, and she says as long as I don't carry a lot of my weight around my belly, and all my other indicators, heart rate, sugar, cholesterol etc are fine then i don't have to fuss about where I am on the BMI scale.....

So - have a chat with your dr - you are totally right - we are all different, so how on earth can a simple chart cover all the different types.....
  • alynnbennett
    alynnbennett Posts: 182
    Options
    My healthy weight to where I'm considered not over weight is 114 to 143 I'm 5'4". There is no way I could be that small, currently I am 159 and my hips bones stick out. I want to be 150 and say screw what my BMI tells me! I know I'm healthy plus I work and have obtained a lot of muscle especially in my rear-end! You do what you think is healthy for you!!!
  • dlafarga
    dlafarga Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with all you guys! I am latina as well and I have wide hips, thick thighs and legs and a round butt. I think the BMI scale is ridiculous! I wanna get toned and lean but not skinny.
  • blesliemeow
    Options
    Dont pay any attention to BMI it says I'm overweight because I'm 5'7" 142 pounds. It says I should weigh 120sih which for my sport is ridiculously skinny!
  • lcoulter23
    lcoulter23 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I'm a Caucasian, but I have a large butt as well. thighs too... I'm 5'4 and have a small frame, but I'm still unsure of what my goal weight is going to be.
  • msnewbootie
    msnewbootie Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I agree 105%. as a matter of fact, I dont even pay attention to BMI scales. #totallyignoreit