Weight training - Full body vs single muscle group

Options
I have recently started doing just a couple of lifts for each muscle group every other day with cardio on the other days. Thoughts on which is more effective, working full body or single muscle groups? What do you do?

Replies

• StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Making up your own program is often (but not always) a recipe for an ineffective work out routine.

If you're interested in weight training take a look at this thread which has a summary of lots and lots or established programs: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you

To answer your question though, I guess for a couple of lifts every other day I would go for the big compound lifts since they use multiple muscle groups. So, Squats, Deadlifts, Bench Press, A big Row (Pendlay) and Overhead barbell press.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Making up your own program is often (but not always) a recipe for an ineffective work out routine.

If you're interested in weight training take a look at this thread which has a summary of lots and lots or established programs: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you

To answer your question though, I guess for a couple of lifts every other day I would go for the big compound lifts since they use multiple muscle groups. So, Squats, Deadlifts, Bench Press, A big Row (Pendlay) and Overhead barbell press.

This. Once I get back to working out, I'm going to be restarting Stronglifts 5x5.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I have recently started doing just a couple of lifts for each muscle group every other day with cardio on the other days. Thoughts on which is more effective, working full body or single muscle groups? What do you do?

If I define "effective" as "leading to increased strength and/or muscle" beginners are better off doing a full body lifting program than a bodypart split. A full body program can be done 3+ times per week, meaning that you are working the same muscles 3+ times per week. A bodypart split usually has you work each muscle group less often than that. People who are more advanced in their training generally have to work muscles more intensely in order to progress and that requires more rest between sessions that hit those muscles. Newbies do not have to work at the same intensity and can train more often. (Note: if 2 days a week is all that can fit into your schedule, 2 full body days are fine too.)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

For starters, don't invent your own program...this is like one of the worst things you can do regardless of whether you're talking about a split or full body.

For most people lifting as a matter of general fitness, beginner or not, a full body program is going to be the most efficient way to go about things and they are highly effective...the only reason I see for doing a split is if you are actually trying to put on mass (think bodybuilder, physique competitor, etc) and you need that kind of volume or if you just happen to like spending time in the gym 4-5 days per week lifting...though I do enjoy lifting, I have other things I need to attend to.

I've been lifting on and off most of my life and consistently for about four years now and I do a full body program and hit the weight room as hard as I can two days per week and spend the rest of my week cycling and hanging out with the fam...
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    i do compound lifts because i'm a simple bear with a short attention span. just not into nickel-and-diming my way through my whole self one isolation move at a time.

with that said, i find isolation has a definite place for me too, when i find i have a relative weakness in some specific area which is affecting my form or progress with those lifts. but i wouldn't do isolation stuff just for the sake of doing it; i'm not conscientious enough or something.

adding this though:

within the most common compound lifts, there's still a little bit of specialization. bench and ohp are compound but with upper body emphasis, while squats and deadlifts are mostly done with the legs. and some of them move the bar 'with' the direction of your body, while others move it 'across' your body.

so i liked the stronglifts distribution which mixes them, and also pairs a push with a pull within alternating planes of movement. to me, deadlift and overhead press are 'vertical' days (you push/pull in the same direction as your own body). and bench/pendlay rows are 'perpendicular', i.e. you push and pull at right angles to it.

with wendler it doens't really apply since you do one lift per workout. but i still seem to keep something like the same alternation patterns.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Personally I'm getting better results with a full body workout with compound lifts and some accessories. Finding the compounds really have had a good effect on all my muscle groups, not just those I thought they'd be working (really feel bench press in my core for example as I use that to stabilise the bar/my arms).
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I've very recently gone back to a full body program after a long time running an upper/lower split. I like both methods but needed a switch and I'm enjoying it so far. I like Wendler's 5/3/1 full body template with a couple of small revisions and then I add a little bit of isolation or hypertrophy work at the end (time permitting.)
  • grob49
    grob49 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Just like everyone else for a novice I would stick to a full body compound exercises 3 times a week. I've been hitting the weights off and on all my life. Even trying some powerlifting. When I've been off for awhile I will start back with a full body routine for the first 3 months. Right now I am doing one body part perday for total of 12 to 15 sets for larger muscles 9 sets for arms. First exercise I go heavy with 4 to 6 reps after that I work in the 6 to 8 range going to failure. I use strict form with a pause at the top working on the negative.