Starvation Mode.

Options
Helice
Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
I have a serious problem controlling what i eat..
I just can t stop. And all i eat is crap.
I just dont have the willpower to stop..

But i have heard from alot of people that if you like clean your system of junk (dont have it in a while / go on a detox), then your body doesnt crave it anymore..

So i want to go on a fast..
I dont know for how long, a day, 2 days, a week..
But i just want to try and cleanse my body again and start from scratch..

But iv heard all of this scary stuff about starvation mode..
like if after one day you eat less than 1,200 calories that the next day if u so much as eat 1 thing u like double in size..

So please i need every bit of information anyone knows about starvation mode..
Id appreciate anything, even just links to informative sites.
Thnx.

Replies

• SpaceMarkus
    SpaceMarkus Posts: 651
    Options
    I'll shoot you a message. In short, going under 1200 for a day or two is fine. Your body is an amazing machine. It's when you start the trend of eating under 1200 your body starts to think it's starving.
  • Colfiii
    Colfiii Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    the way to go is not , not to eat anything at all but to eat things that are not crap . U can go on a 'diet' with mostly fruits and vegetables for something like 1 een and with as much natural stuff as possible ( not processed food).
    Indeed, if u don t eat at lest 1200 calories per day your body will go into starvation mode and that's killing your body not eliminating crap. Google detox diets ( I know one with cabbage soup it helps indeed and I m sure there are many others)
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode typically takes weeks to kick in (months for some).
  • leftymac
    leftymac Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    If you truly cannot stop, and truly have no willpower, then you may have a food addiction and should look into overeater's anonymous. It's a real problem. Otherwise, you should think about whether you "truly" cannot stop, or whether you just don't want to.

A cleanse is not going to solve this problem.
  • HotMamaByVday
    HotMamaByVday Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    You don't need to starve to stop the cravings. Just stop eating those foods you crave (you crave sugar, stop eating anything with more than natural sugar, etc). It will take a week or so, but you can do it!

Also, here is an article about starvation mode that made me change my thinking:
    http://fattyfightsback.blogspot.com/2009/03/mtyhbusters-starvation-mode.html

Everyone has a different opinion, so please don't yell at or lecture me! I do eat back some of my exercise calories, I just calculate my "starvation" level different. Based on my BMR, I don't dip below 800 calories per day.

Good luck to you!
  • Aoretta
    Aoretta Posts: 4
    Options
    Please don't do that.

The reason is because if you eat nothing, or less than 1000 cals a day, the next day or the day after you don't just eat one thing...you eat more than you realize...

That's why this app is SO INCREDIBLY HELPFUL.
    Try to keep your calories between 1200 and 1700....
    that way you will have less calories than you need, but not enough to put your mind in to starvation mode.

Because what does one do after they have starved, and then see food?...they eat as much as they can. An end to survival tactics.

Don't tell yourself that you want to lose weight.
    Tell yourself....you just don't want to gain anymore.

.---> Aoretta RN
  • Aoretta
    Aoretta Posts: 4
    Options
    I used to do that starvation mode thing. It was not a good thing, nor was it pleasant.

As for not being able to control what you eat....once you have had enough of the guilt...then you can control it....

Search for spiritual peace. And in that, then you can control your life. And talk with a doctor if you can....or a nutritionist, or a registered nurse, or a registered dietician, or whomever you can look towards for spiritual peace. It is not about the body, it is about the mind. Once the mind is at peace, the body can follow, and begin to heal itself from the mind torturing itself.

Keep talking to us. We are all a team, and we are all here for each other!!!

---Aoretta RN
  • tsmith6569
    tsmith6569 Posts: 63
    Options
    Starvation mode typically takes weeks to kick in (months for some).

I totally agree with this and have used it with success!
  • meganotravels
    meganotravels Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    i saw a documentary recently called "fat, sick and nearly dead" where a guy did a juice fast for 60 days and then only ate real foods afterward. sounds a bit more doable to me than a water-only fast. it helped him kick cravings, lose weight, and get healthier. might be worth checking into. i plan to do it in a few weeks after my vacation.

http://www.fatsickandnearlydead.com/
  • Helice
    Options
    If you truly cannot stop, and truly have no willpower, then you may have a food addiction and should look into overeater's anonymous. It's a real problem. Otherwise, you should think about whether you "truly" cannot stop, or whether you just don't want to.

i think it might be a serious problem..
    earlier i wasnt hungry at all but i really wanted to eat something.
    and i couldnt find any food and i got really pissy because of it.
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with a fast for a couple of days, I'd reccomend 3 at most. You won't instantly go into starvation mode, and it probably won't make you lose rapid weight, but will possibly help you break your addiction by seeing that you can do it. just make sure you start eating healthily once you stop!
  • Hodar
    Hodar Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Going on a fast will only make you hungry. This journey is a decision you have to make. We will encourage you, but if you lack the willpower to walk away from junk food - you are wasting your time. No one is going to enslave you, imprison you or tackle you from sabotaging your diet. No one is going to shake their finger at you to make youndrop that McDonalds tray of fries and shakes. Just isn't going to happen. The reason you want to lose weight, absolutely has to because YOU want to.

What MFP CAN do is make you aware of the calories you need to survive, the nutrients you need, and provide you the information you need so you can budget your calories so you can have that "treat" and still lose the weight you need to use. You have a brain, you have the ability to make decisions - it's all you, babe.

You know what your daily calorie intake needs to be in order to hit your goal. I suggest you purge your home of junk food. It's not in the home, you won't be tempted. Stock up on nutritious food, plan your meals, plan your treats. If you go out to eat, use MFP to plan your meal before you see the menu. The tool is only as good as the person who uses it.
  • LaurenH2010
    Options
    First of all, I am no expert. Secondly I have read about detoxes that allow you to eat nothing but one type of food such as apples. I always thought if I did a detox I would choose an option like that rather than simply not eating anything. As far as I understand it, starvation mode is a serious thing but not so serious that after one day of eating fewer than 1200 you would suddenly enter it. You also have to remember that we are all unique and so we all metabolize differently. The 1200 calories is a guideline. I have been doing some research on starvation mode and there do seem to be some subtle warning signs that you are in it, so I would look into that as well. Best of luck to you and I hope I have been helpful.
  • IamMsDeniece
    Options
    I can try to help. My friend is a trainer and owner of a local Curves center. From what I have learned, you can cleanse your system just by putting better things into it. For example, I use to drink soda every day. I was addicted. But I switched to diet just to have it and hated it so I stopped drinking it altogether. Instead, I drink tea or water and I have lost 8 pounds and don't crave the soda at all. Everyone is different tho, so you need to try something that works for you. Fasting is ok, but you will more than likely want the junk even more afterwards. Your body goes into starvation mode when it doesn't get enough calories. You can actually gain weight rather than lose it if you stay in starvation mode. Plus, you risk the chance of damaging your organs. Eat between 1200-1500 calories a day of healthy foods and drink tea or water. You will cleanse your system in a healthy way and still eat and provide your body and brain with nutrients it needs. Make your menus and watch that you don't go over your allowments for the day. You can even sneak a goodie in there sometimes as long as you adjust your menu to fit everything else in without going over. It works. I hope this helps. Good luck!
  • Helice
    Options
    i saw a documentary recently called "fat, sick and nearly dead" where a guy did a juice fast for 60 days and then only ate real foods afterward. sounds a bit more doable to me than a water-only fast. it helped him kick cravings, lose weight, and get healthier. might be worth checking into. i plan to do it in a few weeks after my vacation.

it wouldnt be water only.
    id still drink like tea, juice, etc..
    just nothing solid.
    so that when i next eat food my body is like mmm lettuce.
    lol.
  • Levedi
    Levedi Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Fasting is not going to help your problem. I had exactly the same problem and I was completely capable of fasting for days, even a week. It didn't help. In fact, it made things worse because it increased my sense of isolation and deprivation. If you eat and eat and cannot stop yourself, you don't have a nutrition problem, you have a food-emotion connection problem.

I'm not saying this to be judgmental - not at all. But I've been there and I can tell you no amount of short term purging is going to solve the internal compulsion to stuff food into your mouth. You have to make a long term internal change, probably by starting to admit you can't can't control your food relationship and that possibly you still don't want to because food fulfills an emotional need in your life. Seriously consider keeping a food journal and asking yourself WHY am I putting this food in my mouth every time you do. And check out Overeaters Anonymous. They helped me a lot. It's not the food that's the source of the problem, it's the needs inside you that you want to meet with food whether you've made a conscious connection or not.
  • vdavis_89
    vdavis_89 Posts: 334
    Options
    You don't need to starve to stop the cravings. Just stop eating those foods you crave (you crave sugar, stop eating anything with more than natural sugar, etc). It will take a week or so, but you can do it!

Also, here is an article about starvation mode that made me change my thinking:
    http://fattyfightsback.blogspot.com/2009/03/mtyhbusters-starvation-mode.html

Everyone has a different opinion, so please don't yell at or lecture me! I do eat back some of my exercise calories, I just calculate my "starvation" level different. Based on my BMR, I don't dip below 800 calories per day.

Good luck to you!
    That is a great article!!!
  • Levedi
    Levedi Posts: 290 Member
    Options

i think it might be a serious problem..
    earlier i wasnt hungry at all but i really wanted to eat something.
    and i couldnt find any food and i got really pissy because of it.

YUP! Sounds very, very familiar. Believe me, honey, a lot of us on here know exactly what that's like. The good news is that there is help and there is hope and you don't have to do this all alone. Friend me or drop me a line if you want to chat. :)
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I'll shoot you a message. In short, going under 1200 for a day or two is fine. Your body is an amazing machine. It's when you start the trend of eating under 1200 your body starts to think it's starving.

but what if one eats over 1200 a day, but still has a 1000+ deficit? will 'starvation mode' still kick in - even though the 1200 number (or thereabouts) is met? i would imagine it's a variable thing since we are all different. i just started using a BodyMedia device and am blown away at my daily calorie burns. i have been way undereating and am thinking that this has a big part in me not being able to lose a F-ing pound in a.... year or more. i generally eat anywhere from 1250-1450 a day... but apparently my burns are anywhere from 2300-2700 (only been doing the BMedia tracking for a few days)....
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options

watched this last night-- amazing!!!