Tips

Options
What excerise would you recommend for weight loss and how many times a week to see the diffrence? What worked best for you?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    calorie deficit for weight loss

exercise for health - pick something you like
  • kksmom1789
    kksmom1789 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't exercise I have found for me that just going on a quick walk & trying to make my 10,000 steps a day has really helped me out
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    calorie deficit for weight loss

exercise for health - pick something you like

This.
  • taslima786786
    taslima786786 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    @Chef_Barbell @TavistockToad , please can you explain how calorie deficit works as i have just started my weight loss and haven't got quiet the hang of it
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    @Chef_Barbell @TavistockToad , please can you explain how calorie deficit works as i have just started my weight loss and haven't got quiet the hang of it

eat less than you burn.

• taslima786786
    taslima786786 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you @travistocktoad
  • Gotrek1
    Gotrek1 Posts: 64 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Keep track of what you eat using My fitness pal or some other app. Stay under the amount of calories for your target weight loss rate. That's it.

Exercise is for your health (but it does help burn more calories so double bonus). But you don't need to exercise if you don't want too. Just watch what you eat.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

eat less than you burn.

come one now... isn't that a little generic? :persevere:

i'll tell you how it works in detail OP! :) just give me a bit.
  • ericwhitt
    ericwhitt Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    What excerise would you recommend for weight loss and how many times a week to see the diffrence? What worked best for you?

People sometimes give short answers because this site is filled with a lot of more indepth details. But to summarize, figure out your required daily calorie intake using one of several online calculators, and eat 10-20% less than that amount. I use this one personally. http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

You can download the MFP app and setup your profile there, and select your weight loss goal and it will give you a decently accurate goal number to reach as well. If you're obese, you can do 1.5-2lbs pretty safely, however the closer you get to healthy, the less you can try and lose in a week. If you're only trying to lose 10-20lbs, you're better off doing .5-1.0 lbs because anything more makes it hard to eat enough to feel full.

There's a common quote around here that goes something along the lines of "eat right to lose weight, workout to look good naked" because it takes 10 seconds to eat that 500 calorie piece of cake, but takes an hour of exercise to burn it backoff. So you make smart decisions about eating to lose that weight. The exercise while dieting is more about preventing the muscle loss than it is aiding the fat loss. As you lose weight, inevitably you are going to lose muscle mass as well. So if you add a strength training program into your routine, you help to reduce muscle loss and so as the fat loss goes down, you see a more toned body instead of being skinny fat.
  • raychl88
    raychl88 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    The best exercise is one that you enjoy and will actually do :) Don't worry about what you think you should do, or things people say about what works and what doesn't...any activity is better than none. And don't be intimidated to try something new!
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

eat less than you burn.

All of that information is already on the website if people looked in the stickies.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

eat less than you burn.

All of that information is already on the website if people looked in the stickies.

certainly that's true. On the other hand, i imagine they wouldn't have posted and asked for help if they had the know-how to even look at the stickies. :wink:

I know most of us are familiar with MFP, Forums, or even computers in general... but there are certainly people who have no clue how to help themselves or are total newbies who need atleast a general baseline of knowledge.

Also, I think almost all the threads on MFP would have been eliminated if people just read the stickies.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options

eat less than you burn.

certainly that's true. On the other hand, i imagine they wouldn't have posted and asked for help if they had the know-how to even look at the stickies. :wink:

I know most of us are familiar with MFP, Forums, or even computers in general... but there are certainly people who have no clue how to help themselves or are total newbies who need atleast a general baseline of knowledge.

Also, I think almost all the threads on MFP would have been eliminated if people just read the stickies.

This is why the world is in such a sad state of affairs. Smh. Everyone needs information spoon fed instead of taking the time and work to do it yourself.
  • jprewitt1
    jprewitt1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options

eat less than you burn.

This is why the world is in such a sad state of affairs. Smh. Everyone needs information spoon fed instead of taking the time and work to do it yourself.

Yeah, it's horrible that people ask for help on a public forum designed specifically to ask questions and get answers.

OP, give us some information and we can help even more. What is your starting weight? Height? Age? Gender? What would your ideal goal weight be? What are your current eating habits? Have you done any exercises before that you enjoyed?
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options
    jprewitt1 wrote: »

eat less than you burn.

Yeah, it's horrible that people ask for help on a public forum designed specifically to ask questions and get answers.

OP, give us some information and we can help even more. What is your starting weight? Height? Age? Gender? What would your ideal goal weight be? What are your current eating habits? Have you done any exercises before that you enjoyed?

Yup why work when someone else will do it for you. :laugh:
  • TavistockToad
    Options

eat less than you burn.

OP seemed quite happy with my answer anyway!