What traits describe you as "fit" or "out of shape"?

Options
DaigaDaiga
DaigaDaiga Posts: 8 Member
I feel out of shape every time I climb a few flights of stairs.

Replies

• thisonetimeatthegym
    thisonetimeatthegym Posts: 1,977 Member
    Options
    My profile pic is me doing feats of fitness. The fat on my belly laughs at me while I do them.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Depends on your definition of 'fit'. I can do a 7 miles moderate hike without needing a break and without breaking a sweat, but I probably wouldn't be able to lift a 120 lb box without having a bit of trouble (female, 5'5", 135 lbs), and I do have some fat in my midsection still.
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I can ride 100 miles on my bike and touch my toes (not at the same time). I can also carry the 50lb bag of dog food to my car by myself. That's enough for me. Ditto on the tummy fat. I'm almost 40 and it's probably not going away.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Technically fit is a shortening of "fit for purpose" and so you could argue that a long term couch potato who had no desire to do anything else was fit - Their body had adapted to their lifestyle and so was fit for purpose. On that basis, those who routinely push themselves to do more (run, lift, swim, whatever) are some of the least fit.

But, in the common usage of fit, I'd consider someone who struggled with everyday tasks like a flight or two or stairs, carrying shopping, walking at a steady pace without being able to hold a conversation as "out of shape" or significantly unfit.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Fit: I can ride my bike over a mountain pass! :smile:
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    melmelw03 wrote: »
    I can change the 5 gallon water bottle without help. So that's pretty much like being a Crossfit bada$$ right?

This was my first biggest accomplishment when I started lifting, so I agree with you!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I feel pretty fit when I use the chainsaw or maul to cut trees and split them into firewood.
  • Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    It may have something to do with the jiggle I feel in my belly.. I don't know, what do you think? O.o
  • MiniMansell1964
    MiniMansell1964 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I can do the things i want to do without having to stop for a rest.
  • _dixiana_
    _dixiana_ Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Depends on your definition of 'fit'. I can do a 7 miles moderate hike without needing a break and without breaking a sweat, but I probably wouldn't be able to lift a 120 lb box without having a bit of trouble (female, 5'5", 135 lbs), and I do have some fat in my midsection still.

Same!
  • JSaus13
    JSaus13 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    melmelw03 wrote: »
    I can change the 5 gallon water bottle without help. So that's pretty much like being a Crossfit bada$$ right?

This made me giggle. We have that at work and I always freak out when I'm the one who gets it to that point to change. I've done it a few times, but I make sure that nobody is watching. It's not pretty. :s
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    DaigaDaiga wrote: »
    What traits describe you as "fit" or "out of shape"?

My legs, arms, chest, azz, and upper back show me as fit.
    My love handles, belly, and back fat show me as out of shape.

• PowerMan40
    PowerMan40 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    When I can take my shirt off in public and not feel ashamed or embarrassed. Thats when Im fit.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Fit.

28328398175_3c5c2656a5_o_d.jpg
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,368 Member
    Options
    Fit...I lifted my mom in her wheelchair up some steps when she broke her leg. I take the stairs always at my parents seniors residence to not tie up the elevators.

Out of shape...running up said stairs make me tired
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    I felt fit when I ran (without walking) my first 5k.