Does anyone believe in cheat days?

Options
I've found that having a cheat day works for me especially on the weekends what do you guys think

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I don't need cheat days, since I didn't cut out any foods.

Pretty much same here, I don't try to deprive myself and if I go over my target occasionally I don't lose any sleep over it.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't call them cheat days...I have days when I'm definitely probably over and other days when I'm probably under...I don't log so I don't really know exactly, but I just roll with life and live it good for the most part...train hard and eat well for the most part...and hit up some pizza now and then.
  • aliem
    aliem Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I am usually good Monday-Friday when I am eating my meal prep. I do the best I can on the weekend, but I usually do have some unofficial cheat meals that take me to about maintenance. It's not official and when I can I try to stick to a good diet over the weekend, but life happens! Will I hit my goals as fast, no. But I knocked off the first 15 pounds and only have about 10 more to go, so I can ease up a bit. I did find that the first few weeks I eased up (i.e. the first few cheat days) were really bad. So now I try to be a lot better over the weekend, instead of doing a full out cheat day. It is really up to you and what will help you stick to your goals!
  • maeggggan
    maeggggan Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I follow #iifym so I don't need a cheat day. I eat what I want and when I want it.
  • mccormf1
    mccormf1 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I think it's good mentally so you don't go insane if your trying to 'eat clean' all the time
  • PaulaCribben
    PaulaCribben Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm with the others - as long as I stay within my calorie allotment every day, I can eat what I want... :)
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I have a free day I can have whatever I want up to 2500 Val's for the day. Usually a sat or Sunday so if we go out I can eat with the family
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Yes, cheat days help psychologically. The only problem is how much I eat. My appetite is enormous, so I feel like I'm starving if I'm at a deficit or at maintenance or at a small surplus. At first, I was at a small surplus for months and would allow a cheat day when I reached weight goals. Looking forward to not starving for a day was helpful mentally.

Lately, I've struggled with what to do... I have done more and more frequent cheat days over the past several months. I'm down to the last 5-10 lbs. and just can't seem to eat at a deficit long enough to avoid losing all of it in a cheat day. :(
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    It can be disturbingly easy to wipe out a week's worth of effort with one cheat day/cheat meal depending on how large your daily deficit is. If I have something coming up, or something I want to enjoy I usually compensate by creating larger deficits throughout the week or that day.. I don't know if that counts as a cheat day in that case though.
  • KyleGrace8
    KyleGrace8 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    I think they are helpful but very sparingly. I try to cap it at once every two weeks.
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    It can definitely help, lots of people do it- and if it works for you... fantastico!

That said, sustainability appreciates putting "cheat foods" into your daily caloric allowances and makes food "fun" rather than "endured".
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    Dano74 wrote: »
    It can definitely help, lots of people do it- and if it works for you... fantastico!

That said, sustainability appreciates putting "cheat foods" into your daily caloric allowances and makes food "fun" rather than "endured".

Cheat days are not just about what I eat. They are primarily about how much I eat.
  • Dano74
    edited November 2016
    Options

Cheat days are not just about what I eat. They are primarily about how much I eat.

Ok... why not level out those calories throughout the week...?
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options

My cheat days are often large enough to contain 1.5-2 weeks of calories. That is why doing it more than once every several months sets me back so much. What are you suggesting... cheat day and then fast for 2 weeks?!
  • Dano74
    edited November 2016
    Options

My cheat days are often large enough to contain 1.5-2 weeks of calories. That is why doing it more than once every several months sets me back so much. What are you suggesting... cheat day and then fast for 2 weeks?!

Yep. That's exactly what I'm saying. Fast for 2 weeks, eat as much food as you can pack down for one day and then starve for 2 more weeks.

C'mon, man.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Not me. Not formally. I know "life happens". I let it.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options

You can eat 20,000-30,000 calories in a single day?!?!?!