Back pain limiting my ability to exercise

Options
Hi,

I have recently thrown my back out of alignment and it's keeping from doing any walking or exercising. Until I go to the chiropractor, are there any tips anyone can give me to burn calories with an aching back?

Please help!

Replies

• Levedi
    Levedi Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Gentle stretching and balance exercises on the living room floor. Swimming. Yoga poses - again go gently and don't over do. Yoga feels easy at first but it's more work than you realize. My brother has two herniated disks and he does these because he can't do anything jarring. It's working to keep him in shape with out hurting his back.
  • WWhitaker
    WWhitaker Posts: 309
    Options
    Swimming is the best non-impact exercise for people with back pain.
  • wanderingwest
    Options
    I have a bad back too. Swimming is great. I also find a gentle bike ride is good for me. But you have to be able to tolerate the slight bend forward. Walking is essential. Try to walk even if you are a bit uncomfortable. Walk slowly if you have to but it really will help eventually. Walking is what the human body was meant to do.
  • Majibb
    Majibb Posts: 5
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I tried doing some stretching exercises by using a technique my mom taught me recently. I put one or both the balls of my fists against my back, lay down on my back, then stretch my legs toward the ceiling. It helped me strengthen my abs.
  • radio_flyer
    Options
    I had back surgery in 07 so I completely feel your pain -- yoga is good Do you have netflix? You can steam a few of the DVD's on there. Just go slow -- LEVEDI is right, yoga seems really easy, but can really kick your butt. Otherwise, try looking up stretches on WedMD under their Health and fitness tab. The more you stretch and strengthen those muscles the less it will hurt. And make sure you're drinking enough water -- I got that lecture once in physical therapy. When you aren't drinking enough you're body sucks it out of the muscles to supply the other parts of the body, which causes you to be all tight and injure more easily. It's dehyrdation and just like how your skin gets tight and doesn't rebound -- the muscles get tight and the lock in that way. Sounds stupid I know. I didn't believe the PT guy until I started drinking more and oddly my back stopped aching as much.
  • Majibb
    Majibb Posts: 5
    Options
    No I don't have netflix but I do have exercise videos on demand on Xfinity that I can use. I'll start drinking more water too.
  • radio_flyer
    Options
    I have a bad back too. Swimming is great. I also find a gentle bike ride is good for me. But you have to be able to tolerate the slight bend forward. Walking is essential. Try to walk even if you are a bit uncomfortable. Walk slowly if you have to but it really will help eventually. Walking is what the human body was meant to do.

Oh yeah ... after my surgery, the physical therapist had me ride the stationary bike to warm up -- I started with 5 minutes and then worked up from there. The other thing he had me do, is a basketball move. Get into the defensive position (half a squat, knees bent, arms up) and then shuffle 12 steps to the right and then 12 steps back -- or however much room you have to do it. It helps to loosen up the muscles and strengthens the back. And you don't have to be fast about it. You'll get faster as you get stronger. As for walking, just go 10 minutes away from your house and then walk back and then every week add 2 minutes.
  • radio_flyer
    Options
  • shesblossoming
    Options
    I feel your pain. I've been going to the chiropractor for a month now, and it helped tremendously. For me, it was walking. It's terrible at first but as my body warms up, it feels really good. Swimming is a fantastic way to get some exercise out of the way. Make sure to keep ice on your back.
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options
    as mentioned by others.. stretch. LOTS.
    4-6 times a day for 3 minutes can do wonders for your ability to recover from exercise.

People think I'm crazy when they come in to my cubicle at work and I'm sitting on the floor stretching. :blushing:
  • Erica002
    Erica002 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Swimming or an aqua class at your gym if you have one!
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    water walking in the pool helped me get back on my feet last time I injured my back.

Good luck.

GG