Stuck in a horrible rut :(

Options
I've been stuck in a rut lately and it's really getting me down! In the last 6 months I've gained loads of weight... I don't know how much exactly as I'm terrified to weigh myself. Last time I checked I was about 148lbs but I'm sure I'm more than that now. I got down to 126lbs but found my happy place at around 130-135lbs.

I'm just eating so badly lately and my job doesn't help at all. I work in retail and work in between a subway and a McDonalds so it's just so easy to get a quick and convenient lunch. Most days I also go to lunch with a colleague who will also want to eat bad, easy food. Then I get home and am so tired after being on my feet all day so again, I go to the quick and easy food or I'll get a takeaway. I hate cooking when I get home from a long day. I also have no energy or motivation to use my exercise bike. I keep telling myself "I'll get back on the bandwagon tomorrow" but it never happens.

How can I get myself out of this endless cycle of eating like crap?!

Replies

• Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Choose the Subway over the McDonalds. It's not perfect but it's better (imho). Beyond that my suggestion would be to get up early and work out at least 3 times a week (more if you can). Since I started doing that my stress levels have gone down considerably. Granted I now have to get my sorry *kitten* out of bed by 5:00am so I can work out for about 1.5 hours and still get ready for work, but it's also managed to cure (mostly) my insomnia because I am worn slick by 9-10pm. I am working out 6 days a week, 4 of them early during the work week, and 2 days on the weekends a bit later in the mornings. Setting a regular workout schedule made the biggest difference for me.
  • z4oslo
    z4oslo Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    ajc1309 wrote: »
    I've been stuck in a rut lately and it's really getting me down! In the last 6 months I've gained loads of weight... I don't know how much exactly as I'm terrified to weigh myself. Last time I checked I was about 148lbs but I'm sure I'm more than that now. I got down to 126lbs but found my happy place at around 130-135lbs.

I'm just eating so badly lately and my job doesn't help at all. I work in retail and work in between a subway and a McDonalds so it's just so easy to get a quick and convenient lunch. Most days I also go to lunch with a colleague who will also want to eat bad, easy food. Then I get home and am so tired after being on my feet all day so again, I go to the quick and easy food or I'll get a takeaway. I hate cooking when I get home from a long day. I also have no energy or motivation to use my exercise bike. I keep telling myself "I'll get back on the bandwagon tomorrow" but it never happens.

I can totally relate to this. Its really a vicious cycle. Fast food is not really a energy booster, at least not the fast food I was eating. After a day at work, I would be really low on energy and would eat more fast food.

I really wasnt motivated for a change either. I was just fed up of beeing tired all the time I think, so I just made small changes to my diet, and at the same time I started walking - about 6 hm each night after work.

I got more energy from those small changes really fast - and that was the motivation I needed to eat even better and then I had more energy to even more exercise.

So its about breaking a negative circle and starting a positive one. Once the wheel is spinning in the right direction, its only one way - moving forward to a healthier lifetyle.
  • samweyfitness
    samweyfitness Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree with the earlier post, try to make it to the gym before work. I know it's early, but bring some pre-workout with you. You'll have more energy and will burn more calories if you consume it properly. Several of my clients have reported much better results since they started taking pre-workout supplements. If you don't have time to cook or even prep meals for the next day, frequent places like Jamba Juice, Panera Bread, even Veggie Grill (if there's one near you). These places serve leaner, healthier meals (just don't order the desserts). You'll begin to notice results, and this will motivate you to train harder and continue to lose the weight. Good luck!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    So there are some easy switches you can make to reduce intake. Get the salads or wraps from McDs and if you really want the fries get a kids size. Diet soda only.

In Subway, get the lighter options, skip dressings and again they do salads now right? Don't get the deal with ththe chips and cookie, diet sodas again not full sugar. I don't go in either place really so am not totally au fait with their menus but you get the idea.

In the evening after work, keep it simple. If you like soup fresh from the fridge ready ones with a slice of bread is quick and easy. Batch cook on your day off for the week.

So you don't have to make massive changes or even get back on the workout wagon straight away. Just start making small changes to daily habits.
  • Meghanebk
    Meghanebk Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Curbing the fast food may help with the energy. I love Big Macs but I get a lot less tired when I eat Mcdonalds rarely. If you do go, make lower calorie choices and record everything! McD french fries are a lot less appealing when you remind yourself how much of your calorie budget they use. Try to pack your lunch for the next day when you get home - sandwiches, soup, fruit, salads with meat or whatever added for protein. A measured baggie of nuts or cereal or veggies is a good snack. Then you can just grab it on your way out in the morning. You could try batch cooking on your day off - cook and freeze/pack meals for the week. Casseroles and pasta dishes give me several days of meals with minimal hassle (but measure portions). Exercise in the morning is a good idea, never worked for me because I hate getting up.

If you want to hang out with the fast food loving colleague, find a table outside (or a communal area inside) and have them meet you there.

I'm also in retail and I have no shame, especially during the holiday season. If I have no energy after a long day, I am perfectly willing to eat instant oatmeal with milk and some protein powder and some veggies with yogurt dip or other sauce for dinner. Two minute prep. and better for my calories and macros than eating half a pizza.

Get on a scale so you know where you are - it's just a number. But how can you know changes are working without a starting point? And don't forget to get enough water and sleep!
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    There are lots of decent choices at Subway. Avoid the mayo, Ranch and other oily/creamy dressings. The 6" subs range from 280 to about 600 calories without sauces. I particularly like either turkey or turkey+ham with all the veggies and mustard as my only condiment (280 cals without cheese; 330 cals with cheese). You can also turn any sub into a salad which saves you the bread calories (though I would usually want a dressing so wouldn't actually save any total calories).

Add a water or diet pop and you have a pretty low calorie lunch. White milk, while adding calories, would also add nutrients and might make you feel fuller.

The only thing I really like at McDonalds are the Egg McMuffins, but that's just personal taste. I'm sure their salads and such are fine. Google the nutritional information sometime to find some lower calorie options.
  • Vegplotter
    Vegplotter Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    It does sound like you've got it bad.
    Do you have friends who. An support you. Or join a slimming club?
    Why not try buying fresh food, preparing it at home and then eating it with friends. Going to fast food outlets only makes the owners rich!
    Try recipes, go to a cookery class, experiment with real food?
    That might give you the motivation you need to get out of the fast food rut.
    It's like AA - you just have to NEVER go back.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Look at the calorie content of your favourite meal choices from the resturants, pick the ones that fit your calories. When you get home, have easy to eat, ready meals that also fit into your calories.

Eating out doesn't mean that you need to eat to excess.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Given that you've already lost weight successfully, I'm going to assume that you know all about CICO and filling foods and exercise. In fact, you probably know everything others before me have said and anything I might add, but little reminders might still be just what you need.

Do you have any fitness minded friends you can call on to meet you for walks, hikes, bike rides or trips to gym? Could you be the one that motivates your colleagues to healthy it up a little? Can you throw some fruits or veggies in a container and bring it with you to McD's to fibre up your lunch? Have you been getting enough iron? Enough protein?

Sometimes, as a reset button of sorts, I skip a meal or even just postpone a meal. I just need a reminder that it's ok to be a little hungry, and that I don't have to reach for food the moment I feel even the tiniest blood sugar drop.

Alternatively, some particularly vigorous exercise can help shake me out of the weight gain spiral. Perhaps try a session of sprint intervals instead of your exercise bike.

And lastly, when I'm tired (even just mentally), I sometimes can't face cardio. But I'm never too tired to lift some dumbbells at home in front of the tv. It's enough to stop the downward spiral feeling.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Then I get home and am so tired after being on my feet all day so again, I go to the quick and easy food or I'll get a takeaway. I hate cooking when I get home from a long day. I also have no energy or motivation to use my exercise bike. I keep telling myself "I'll get back on the bandwagon tomorrow" but it never happens.

I get home late and used to have this problem a lot.

On exercise I had to get real and accept that I wouldn't exercise if I went home first, so do it in the morning or at the gym near my office (which I joined for this reason).

On dinner, I needed a plan -- either have leftovers or stuff that would be fast to cook (I know I can do a vegetable omelet really fast as a fallback) and then just to get in the habit so it felt routine.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Just because something is quick and easy and convenient, doesn't mean that you have to do it, or that you can't do something else that is just as quick and easy and convenient. Apart from calling what you want, bad - and I think working on your attitude towards food is just as important as working on your habits and rearranging your environment - you could make and bring your own food, food that you think is okay. Plan so that you have everything ready and prepped to cook a meal when you get home. Also plan and cook/prepare meals you want to eat, today, this is important, because your alternative is easily available fast food, which you WILL choose when you are tired, hungry, willpower is low and there is no acceptable meal within reach... and again, postpone everything to "tomorrow".

When you consistently eat better, you'll get more energy. When you start to move more, you'll have more energy. When you exercise, you'll want real food. When you eat more real food, your cravings for junk will decrease. When you eat less junk, you'll think less about junk.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    I would love to live near a subway!! I would get a nice giant salad every day, they have wonderful fresh veggies! They have really low calorie/healthy options at mcdonalds and subway!! You are not doomed! Just do your research.
  • ajc1309
    ajc1309 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, this helped.
    Yes, I have successfully lost weight in the past. I used to weigh 183lbs and went down to 126lbs but that was when I was jobless and could fully focus on losing weight. I started making diet changes today and went with a healthy turkey and wheat sub and am having soup for dinner!
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Of course you don't want to cook after a long hard day... but you probably have 1 or 2 days off a week and you can cook a big batch of a few foods to have later in the week. Have subway a few days a week and skip the McDonald's altogether unless you get a salad- but maybe bring your own dressing, theirs is full of sugar.

When I used to work long hours I would do this on one of my days off (now I work from home but I still do this sometimes):

•Grill a few chicken breasts and/or thighs
    •Buy some already cooked chargrilled salmon from Whole Foods deli
    •get some ground turkey, season with salt & pepper & garlic powder, form into small patties and grill them (on the grill or in a pan)
    •cook some rice or buy frozen cooked rice
    •cook some quinoa or buy frozen cooked quinoa
    •buy some medium sized red potatoes
    •buy some sweet potatoes
    •buy a party platter of veggies
    •buy a big bag of spinach

Ok now: portion out your cooked meats into portions. Most women do 4oz for a serving of they plan to have 3 meals a day, I do 2-3oz for mine because I eat 5-6 mini meals. Put each portion of meat into a snack sized ziplock bag, put all those into a big freezer bag and freeze.

Then: portion out your rice & quinoa into single servings (1/2to 1 cup, depending on meal frequency), bag & freeze.

Then: portion out your veggies into individual portions in snack bags and store those in the fridge.

These are now ready-to-go meal components! When you pack a lunch or want a quick dinner grab 1 protein, 1 carb, 1 veggie. When you reheat it in the microwave the veggies steam cook. You can add a handful of spinach if you want. You can skip the rice or quinoa and grab a potato or sweet potato instead if you want- you can just pop it in the microwave for 5 or 6 minutes and it cooks! Just like a baked potato but in way less time!

If you don't feel like a cooked meal like this you could make a bunch of salads on the weekend, then just add one of the frozen proteins the night before, it will be thawed by the next day when you eat your salad. Remember not to put dressing in it until you're ready to eat it. You can snack on the pre-portioned raw veggies too. Also get some fruits and single serve yogurts or cottage cheese for easy snacks.

Basically this is a simplified way to meal prep and I like it because it's mix and match and everything lasts a really long time in the freezer.

Hope this helps- it will really be a good way to stop eating out for lunch so much and take out for dinner. A lot less calories and you can control the ingredients (most fast food/takeout has so much oil, salt, sugar, etc).

• peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options

Pack a lunch. It sounds like most of your issue is coming from when you're at work. Try packing a hearty lunch along with some snacks to get you through the day. Pre-log your meals and don't go off track unless you have a specific day when you deem it acceptable. Getting in the habit is the hardest part, after that it's all easy sailing.