20 pounds advice?

Options
Hi everyone! I am looking to lose about 45 pounds but I'm starting with 20. My current weight is 190. I have lost 30 pounds before but I gained it all back in the span of two years and then some. I'm looking for advice as to the fastest ways to lose 20 pounds? I would ultimately like to do this in a month but if it takes longer, it's still worth it to me. Does anyone have any advice on what has worked for them? Diet plans, certain exercises, anything. I would love to hear what works for you.

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,363 Member
    Options
    You don't have a lot of weight to lose, and 20lb in a month is an extreme goal and unlikely to be achieved without some extreme unhealthy behaviour and eating.

First week you will lose a lot of water weight so first week loss will be much higher than the following weeks.

My tips would be to set reasonable and achievable goals otherwise you are setting yourself up for failure, set your MFP profile it will give your daily allowance, eat back some exercise calories, plan your daily menu in advance..but be flexible if need be.
  • erinhaley11
    erinhaley11 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You don't have a lot of weight to lose, and 20lb in a month is an extreme goal and unlikely to be achieved without some extreme unhealthy behaviour and eating.

First week you will lose a lot of water weight so first week loss will be much higher than the following weeks.

My tips would be to set reasonable and achievable goals otherwise you are setting yourself up for failure, set your MFP profile it will give your daily allowance, eat back some exercise calories, plan your daily menu in advance..but be flexible if need be.

Thank you! Like I said I am okay if it takes longer. I made that my goal because the first time around losing weight, I lost about 25 in the first month. I did this by exercising everyday for 30 minutes and eating healthy foods while calorie counting 1200 a day(: I don't think I was doing anything unhealthy
  • Sepa
    Sepa Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    1200 calories a day and exercise is very low and quite hard to maintain in the long run. I would probably advise eating back your exercise calories if you're eating 1200 cals as a way of maintaining in the future
  • erinhaley11
    Options
    Sepa wrote: »
    1200 calories a day and exercise is very low and quite hard to maintain in the long run. I would probably advise eating back your exercise calories if you're eating 1200 cals as a way of maintaining in the future

Thank you! 1200 is my limit from this app
  • cosmonew
    cosmonew Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I have lost 30lbs in 3 months. I went from 176-146 August -October. I did this by exercising (lots of cardio and some strength to keep muscle tone) drinking lots of water and logging every single thing I ate. I ate volumous, healthy food like spinach, cabbage, tomatoes and pumpkin. I ate alot of food. I gave up bread, pasta and most processed foods. My diary is open if you want to see it and feel free to friend me as I am still working to loose 20 more lbs.
  • pdo27789
    pdo27789 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    My uncle died at 50 years old, after losing a ton of weight - I was young so I don't know specifics. Basically his heart didn't have the time to adjust to his new body size ...

They call rapid weight loss unhealthy, because it is unhealthy.
  • erinhaley11
    Options

I am very sorry to hear that. However I am 19, and I'm not planning on losing weight in an unhealthy way. I am being 100% safe and healthy. I will work for as long as it takes.
    pdo27789 wrote: »
    My uncle died at 50 years old, after losing a ton of weight - I was young so I don't know specifics. Basically his heart didn't have the time to adjust to his new body size ...

They call rapid weight loss unhealthy, because it is unhealthy.

• erinhaley11
    Options
    cosmonew wrote: »
    I have lost 30lbs in 3 months. I went from 176-146 August -October. I did this by exercising (lots of cardio and some strength to keep muscle tone) drinking lots of water and logging every single thing I ate. I ate volumous, healthy food like spinach, cabbage, tomatoes and pumpkin. I ate alot of food. I gave up bread, pasta and most processed foods. My diary is open if you want to see it and feel free to friend me as I am still working to loose 20 more lbs.

Thank you so much for the advice! I will definitely get in touch with you about your plan!
  • freckles2392
    freckles2392 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am 188 so I am looking at the same weight loss as you. At first I want 20lb but ultimately want to be 145. Would love to be friends!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    What worked for me was 1. Use the MFP food diary to factually record everything you eat. The only way to be factual is to use a digital food scale and use accurate food database entries. That's not actually trivial. It takes some effort to do it accurately.

There's really nothing else. Once you write the truth to your food diary, you start thinking about what that means to your progress, or not, toward your goal. Once you start thinking about what you're eating, you start making changes and finding things that help you lose weight and feel good. Then you start experimenting with recipes and new dishes and before much time passes you've become a foodie. A slim foodie.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Myfitnesspal is working for me in combination with tracking macros, strength training and hiit cardio.

Remember maintenance mode is just as important as the weight loss phase so you don't gain it back.
  • erinhaley11
    Options
    I am 188 so I am looking at the same weight loss as you. At first I want 20lb but ultimately want to be 145. Would love to be friends!

Yes! We can do this together!

• erinhaley11
    Options
    What worked for me was 1. Use the MFP food diary to factually record everything you eat. The only way to be factual is to use a digital food scale and use accurate food database entries. That's not actually trivial. It takes some effort to do it accurately.

There's really nothing else. Once you write the truth to your food diary, you start thinking about what that means to your progress, or not, toward your goal. Once you start thinking about what you're eating, you start making changes and finding things that help you lose weight and feel good. Then you start experimenting with recipes and new dishes and before much time passes you've become a foodie. A slim foodie.
    Thank you!
  • erinhaley11
    Options
    Myfitnesspal is working for me in combination with tracking macros, strength training and hiit cardio.

Remember maintenance mode is just as important as the weight loss phase so you don't gain it back.

Thank you!