Whey Protein is a no go...alternatives?

Options
For years I have always had a scoop of Whey protein after a workout or a nice run. I found it helped ease the soreness from working out. Earlier this year I ran into some medical issues that stopped me from working out, kidney being part of it. Yesterday I went to the gym and had a Whey protein scoop afterwards. This morning I woke up with my kidney being sore.

So looking at the label on the back it states to "avoid this product if you have a kidney disease.' I do not, but I think this is the source of my problems. So my question is there any alternatives I can use or a protein I can buy that doesn't have this warning?

FYI: My doctor and I already talked and believe this is the cause.

Replies

• ccjlgrider
    ccjlgrider Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Vegan Shakeology uses pea, rice and oat protein. I love the tropical strawberry.
  • Gotrek1
    Gotrek1 Posts: 64 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    As Above I had similar issues so I switched to a vegan protein and it seemed to help out alot. Now I don't take any at all, just eat more meat :)
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    Is it not protein in general that would be the issue?
  • CricketClover
    CricketClover Posts: 388 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I like all the Vega products. They have different ones based on your needs and it is completely plant based protein. I currently use the Protein and Greens and the Vega One which is more a nutritional shake with a lot of added good stuff with the protein (pricey but not as pricey as some of the other brands)

Edited to add: I found that Whey protein upset my stomach, as did egg white protein powder, hence why I went to plant based.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Usually kidney issues are made worse by higher protein diets, so a protein shake may not be a good idea for you at all. You don't have to have a protein shake after a workout. You won't lose your gains or starve your muscles by skipping it.
  • WaCowboy
    WaCowboy Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »

That's one thing that is unknown at this time. It's more of an experiment that my doctor and I are doing. Before the surgeries earlier this year I never had any issues. This is just something new that was discovered that know happens on my Whey protein. I was looking for a substitute to see if would still cause the same issue. If it does I will just cut out the protein shakes.

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    I have read that high protein diets if you have kidney problems. The source of the protein won't matter, it's the processing of proteins that causes an issue.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You can try some vegan based proteins, or even a whey isolate to see if that has an effect, but my MIL's nephrologist has her concentrate on protein totals.

Have you tried eating after a good run. Most protein powders use proteins that absorb quickly, so eating might ease up on that.
  • racheljonel
    racheljonel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    WaCowboy wrote: »
    VeryKatie wrote: »

That's one thing that is unknown at this time. It's more of an experiment that my doctor and I are doing. Before the surgeries earlier this year I never had any issues. This is just something new that was discovered that know happens on my Whey protein. I was looking for a substitute to see if would still cause the same issue. If it does I will just cut out the protein shakes.

I like Vega brand....plant based protein powder. And you can buy them in single serve pouches at Whole Foods to see if they affect you in the same way before you buy a whole tub.
  • NewGemini130
    NewGemini130 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Hemp protein powder. Plant based, good protein.