Migraines and Exercise

Options
I've been suffering migraines for as long as I can remember, though they have decreased in both intensity and frequency since I started working towards a "healthier" lifestyle a few months ago. I currently have a whopping migraine and I want to lay in the dark until I feel better -- but I also want to do today's workout (I'm on day 16 of the 30 day shred).

My question is: will working out make my migraine worse or will it go away? Does anyone have any experience with this? I don't want to start jumping around and sweating like a maniac if it's going to make it worse ... but if it will help, then that's another story.

Anyone have any experience with migraines and exercise? As I said, I definitely want to do my workout today, but I don't know if I should wait until I feel better or push through it anyway.

Replies

• ranewell
    ranewell Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I think it's what you feel up to. I get migraines and I can't imagine forcing myself through a workout when I have it. I've had minor headaches and been ok, so I don't think it'll make it worse.
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you; migraines galore for me. But I've never worked out while having one or even after it's gone in the same day, but I'd like to know what other people are saying. If it makes it go away faster since I'm not on meds for them, then I'll DEFINITELY start jogging when I get them! Stupid migraines. :explode:
  • cillytilly
    cillytilly Posts: 243
    Options
    I am a migraine sufferer and have been dealing with a fairly mild one this week. Listen to your body with it. Sometimes you can workout other times working out just makes me feel worse because of the nausea and visual issues. The adreneline can sometimes help though if you are able to get going.
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I couldn't work out like that with a migraine! I lay in the dark with something over my eyes til I feel better.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    I get migraines too! Last time I went to the doc he gave me an info sheet on migraines that said that it is very important to REST during the headache and NOT to read! I would say to not work out!!
  • KatiePeca
    KatiePeca Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    If it were me, I would not be able to do it, I'd be debilitated with pain and nausea. Plus, I get exercise induced headaches, so I would be afraid working out would make the migraine worse.

Katie
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    it's probably the intensity problem...
    I used to get it all the time.
    It could be from being dehydrated or if you are a smoker-- that is the problem probably.
    maybe just try walks. remember stay hydrated. also take some advil or something! sometimes you need it!
  • sillymesillyyou
    sillymesillyyou Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do a workout because it will raise your blood pressure and temperature and may make it worse. If you feel up to it, go for a gentle walk outside (fresh air may help). If not, just rest.
  • lcoulter23
    lcoulter23 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I've had migraines and felt like that and then did my workout and felt better after I was done.
  • squigglypuff
    squigglypuff Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Wow! So many responses! Thanks everybody.

This is a minor migraine (if such a thing exists!) -- I was able to drive home from work just fine, and the light from my computer is only slightly offensive, but I don't know what would happen if I turned all the lights on and started to move around.

I think I'll try to do some stretching and crunches and see how that makes me feel. Maybe it would be better to skip 30DS today rather than doing it unenthusiastically.
  • cillytilly
    cillytilly Posts: 243
    Options
    I think there is multiple levels of migraines. I sometimes get ones I call functional migraines. I think just doing a light workout or a walk would be perfect. Make sure you are hydrated I agree with that one but I am one of those people who is hydrated and they still don't go away. This is definately one of those issues you have to take care and listen to your body.
  • GreatSetOfBrains
    GreatSetOfBrains Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    There are several types of migraine and it will depend on what type it is. I used to get migraine like CRAZY, mine was due to being on birth control. I've had a mirena since December and now I've only had one. When you have a headache you want to vasodialate. Drinking water will help decrease pressure, along with watching sodium. I would think because your heart is pumping your gonna have more of a throbbing heachache if you do work out. Try a banana peel on your forehead. . . it may help. Otherwise. . . don't treat with just a pain med, get an anti-inflammatory. :) I would talk to you doctor if you have them frequently, it could be a simple fix :)
  • Roxie65
    Roxie65 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I have a migraine today and there is no way I plan on working out I know it will just make it worse. If anyone is interested I have found that 2 Excedrine and a bottle of real coca cola helps the most, I usually take tordol but it just doesn't work as well.
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I have a migraine today and there is no way I plan on working out I know it will just make it worse. If anyone is interested I have found that 2 Excedrine and a bottle of real coca cola helps the most, I usually take tordol but it just doesn't work as well.
    I upped my dose to 3 excedrin migraine pills. My poor kidneys, but it seriously improved my last migraine, if that's even possible!
  • squigglypuff
    Options
    I've seen two different neurologists and several different eye doctors and nobody could determine the causes of my migraines. I've tried prescription medicine as well as over the counter medicines, and those didn't do anything at all for me.

I also decided not to even attempt 30DS today, which is bumming me out, but whatever, hopefully I feel up to it tomorrow. I'll probably go for a walk in a bit now that it's cooled off outside.

Thanks for all the suggestions everybody :)
  • k8edge
    k8edge Posts: 380
    Options
    I get migraines that cause me to be physically ill...

I wouldn't over do it... Have you ever seen the doc about your migraines. If you get them chronically... you should have them checked out.
  • happyjoyousfree
    happyjoyousfree Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have been prone to migraines in the past several years. I also have something called PMDD - not PMS - its premenstrual dysphoric disorder - if you never heard of it it is worth looking up. The only things that control the PMDD SOMEWHAT is birth control - low estrogen kind - well ever since I've been on this kind of birth control the last couple of months have been hell for me. I've had probably 12 to 15 migraines and in the last week 3. Yesterday was awful. I get auras with my migraines. So first I get nausea. Then I get double vision, heaviness in my arms and yesterday vomiting. I was supposed to be on day 3 of the 30DS but I was so sore from the first 2 days I took the day off. I decided that isn't what I'm going to be doing right now. It is pushing me too much. Today my migraine isn't completely gone after taking two doses of Imitrex which is a prescription for breaking migraines and sleeping/laying in the dark. I am not dehydrated because I have been drinking plenty of water. I think its a combination of not eating enough of my calories and this birth control. I also smoke - INFREQUENTLY and that contributes to my head pain. Today there is a pain in the back of my head on both sides that feels like someone hit me with a bat or something. I start 4 weeks of physical therapy Monday because my regular doctor thought I had tense muscles at the base of my neck. I think I need a referral to a Neurologist at this point. I'm going to go back and ask for one.

For now taking it easy until my migraines are solved - that is just me. I can't function like this. PLUS my job is website marketing & design! I can't look at my computer for too long or I start getting the auras again!!! VERY frustrating. Thanks for letting me vent ladies.
  • squigglypuff
    Options
    I have been prone to migraines in the past several years. I also have something called PMDD - not PMS - its premenstrual dysphoric disorder - if you never heard of it it is worth looking up. The only things that control the PMDD SOMEWHAT is birth control - low estrogen kind - well ever since I've been on this kind of birth control the last couple of months have been hell for me. I've had probably 12 to 15 migraines and in the last week 3. Yesterday was awful. I get auras with my migraines. So first I get nausea. Then I get double vision, heaviness in my arms and yesterday vomiting. I was supposed to be on day 3 of the 30DS but I was so sore from the first 2 days I took the day off. I decided that isn't what I'm going to be doing right now. It is pushing me too much. Today my migraine isn't completely gone after taking two doses of Imitrex which is a prescription for breaking migraines and sleeping/laying in the dark. I am not dehydrated because I have been drinking plenty of water. I think its a combination of not eating enough of my calories and this birth control. I also smoke - INFREQUENTLY and that contributes to my head pain. Today there is a pain in the back of my head on both sides that feels like someone hit me with a bat or something. I start 4 weeks of physical therapy Monday because my regular doctor thought I had tense muscles at the base of my neck. I think I need a referral to a Neurologist at this point. I'm going to go back and ask for one.

For now taking it easy until my migraines are solved - that is just me. I can't function like this. PLUS my job is website marketing & design! I can't look at my computer for too long or I start getting the auras again!!! VERY frustrating. Thanks for letting me vent ladies.

I work for an online retailer, so most of my work day is in front of a screen -- very frustrating indeed!