Pain when running, but I don't want to stop :D

Options
Hi,
When I joined the gym 3 months ago (roughly) I started running on the treadmill, I ran for 2 minutes then walked for 1.
Within days of doing this I started getting pain from my shin (only on the inner part of my leg, about halfway between my ankle & knee).
I googled it & it sounded like I had shin splints!! this suggested that I needed to rest my leg, so I stopped running & started walking on incline instead. Within a week the pain was gone.
4 days ago I decided to try running again & managed to run for 15 minutes straight, the next day when I woke up the pain was back. Since then I have just been running through the pain as i'm really enjoying running, but I don't want to injure myself.
Do you think this sounds like shin splints??

Replies

• suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    what are your running shoes like. Are they old?
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Yes, that's what it sounds like. You have to ramp up to that amount slowly (over weeks), not days :smile:
  • carolynnjoy
    Options
    invest in some good running shoes...also work on your running posture and stride.
  • HolleeERL
    HolleeERL Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Yes, that's what it sounds like. You have to ramp up to that amount slowly (over weeks), not days :smile:

I agree with this. Too much too soon.
  • ncqueenbee
    ncqueenbee Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    The same thing used to happen to me when running. Invested in a nice pair of running shoes...oh what a difference!
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    yes, it's likely shin splints. If you do a search here on MFP you will find tons of advice on the topic.
  • RiseWayward
    RiseWayward Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    yeah and be careful not to run on too high a gradient, as that makes them worse!!
  • Hmgiraffy
    Hmgiraffy Posts: 2
    Options
    Sounds like shin splints.

Get good shoes, and start SLOW - mileage and speed wise.

Ice shins after running, even if they didn't hurt.

Good luck!
  • vdavis_89
    vdavis_89 Posts: 334
    Options
    Definatly shin splints! I ahd them all through highschool :( I've been told my numerous people that proper arch supports help. Get some good running shoes or just get some good arch supports. I have been wearing the same brand of sketchers for 3 years and I havent had a problem at all. :) Hope I helped
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Definitely shin splints. For some relief, fill some of the little paper dixie cups with water, freeze them. Then rub them up and down your shins tearing down the paper as the ice melts. Do this to both shins until the ice melts completely. May be time for new shoes, you could also go to a running store and they can probably put you on their treadmill and let you know what you might be doing wrong with your stride/posture. Good luck! Don't give up! My friend also started wearing Vibram Five Fingers running shoes and doesn't get shin splints anymore!
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    NOOO!!! SHIN SPLINTS!! lol
    those suck! I got them when I started running twice. One round after the first week which lasted for only 2 weeks then another way worse about a year later when I upped the intensity and stuff-- the second time I continued through them, and they got progressively worse, and I had to go to the doctor, and I was a hiar line away from a stress fracture apparently. I took 2 weeks off, then they got better.
    I think it's something most runners will go through at first. I say push through it, then ice after for 20 min or longer. Just listen to your body. If you find you are unable to walk-- hit the doc!

=] !!! good luck on the running tho. it's amazing!!
  • kevandkeira
    kevandkeira Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I got my running shoes when I joined the gym so there only 3 months old.
    What should I be doing now that the pain is back?? I really don't want to stop running when i'm starting to enjoy it.
    Thanks for all the replies.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    yeah, incline is WAY worse for shin splints. The good news is that they are treatable and preventable. Google it, there is TONS of info, mostly stretching.
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Shin splints ... and they SUCK! Keep the faith though, rest until they feel 100% better and then start again VERY slowly ... in fact, starting with walking w/out an incline is where I was told to start when I got them so bad 6 years ago I was unable to walk for a couple of days :(
  • cjsgrimlin
    cjsgrimlin Posts: 246
    Options
    However you approach it do not ignore it. In boot camp one of the girls was told to take it easy because of her shin splints, ignored them and ended up with fractures. DO NOT IGNORE THEM!!!!
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options

When you bought them, did you actually have them professionally fitted where they watch you run, study your gait and make a recommendation ... or did you just buy a pair of running shoes? I did the later the first time I started running and man was I sorry.

The next time, I went to a store that specialized in running shoes and man, did that make a difference! I paid quite a bit more but I would MUCH rather pay the extra $60 than deal with shin splints again ... EVER!
  • zornig
    zornig Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Yes, it does. And "running through the pain" is not such a good idea, and may lead to permanent damage. You should consult your doctor--it may be that something as simple as getting new shoes or special insoles could resolve this for you.
  • kevandkeira
    kevandkeira Posts: 49 Member
    Options

When you bought them, did you actually have them professionally fitted where they watch you run, study your gait and make a recommendation ... or did you just buy a pair of running shoes?
    Just bought them & assumed they would be fine.
    Looks like I need to get professionally fitted, when I have the spare cash.
  • cpsoroff
    cpsoroff Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have been runnning for years and then in the last two years, my back and knees were really starting to hurt. I also did not want to quit running. However, I had to make a choice. I decided to give my knees a break and joined some great spinning classes. I also decided to start doing Yoga and weights. I still miss my running group, but I also want to be healthy and fit into my 80's. I did not want to have a hip or knee replacement, before I am sixty. Just a thought- Good Luck
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    You won't get rid of shin splints unless you strengthen your shins. Google "shin stretches" or "shin stregthening". I got them about a month ago and did stretches 5 or 6 times a day for a week as well as icing after every stretch. Haven't bothered me since. Also, I got proper running shoes. Similarly, if your pain is on the inside of your legs, that's anterior splints, which can be aggrivated by flat feet or plantar fasciitis (what I have). I picked up some arch supports and put them in my running shoes.