Increased appetite when sick

Options
Hi! I am not really sick but I can feel that I've had a cold trying to take hold for the past few days. I'm still hoping to fight it off before it's full blown. Regardless, since I started feeing symptoms I have been STARVING and feeling lethargic. I can't seem to get enough food. I noticed that this seems to be a pattern when I'm sick. Is increased appetite when you're sick actually a thing??

Replies

• cbusnightowl
    cbusnightowl Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    For me it's not so much an increased appetite but a craving for some specific type of comfort food. I'm fighting off an infection in my plumbing right now and all I want to eat is some beef stew (made a big pot on Monday).
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    I don't know, but I always heard the Old Wives Tale, "Feed a cold, starve a fever."

Could be somethin' to it I guess. Chicken soup!!
  • janekana
    janekana Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I think it's probably your body's way of trying to say that it needs more nutrients to fend off the cold.

Which you should do! Once your cold's gone and you don't feel so lethargic anymore, you can go hard on exercise and going back to a calorie deficit! The last thing you need right now is not feeding your body enough to defeat that cold and feeling lethargic for weeks at end. Get well soon :)
  • KyleGrace8
    KyleGrace8 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    Yes! Same thing happens to me! I assume it's my body's way of saying "Give me more fuel to fight this crap off!"
  • sunburntgalaxy
    sunburntgalaxy Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I thought I was the only one - when I am getting or have a cold I am starving and I always seem to want stuff like cheeseburgers and meaty things, which I am not normally into. Not sure why this is, and I haven't really heard anyone mention it other than me until today. It only happens with colds though.
  • HungryHungrystepho
    Options
    Thank you so much for commenting!! I feel so much better about it. I've been trying to fight it so badly but maybe that's the wrong thing to do. I just know it only takes a day or two of poor eating to undo weeks of hard work. It's nice to know there could be a real reason that it is happening!
  • zorander6
    zorander6 Posts: 2,711 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for commenting!! I feel so much better about it. I've been trying to fight it so badly but maybe that's the wrong thing to do. I just know it only takes a day or two of poor eating to undo weeks of hard work. It's nice to know there could be a real reason that it is happening!

Eat till you aren't hungry and log what you eat. You won't die if it takes a couple weeks to make up the extra. This isn't a race and the first one to win doesn't get a special prize. Your body is telling you it needs more fuel to fight the infection off.

Our bodies are amazing at telling us what it needs if we are willing to listen. It's just understanding that being hungry doesn't mean eat till you can't eat any longer. Hope you start feeling better.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    KyleGrace8 wrote: »
    Yes! Same thing happens to me! I assume it's my body's way of saying "Give me more fuel to fight this crap off!"

That's exactly what I was going to say. Your body is fighting so it needs the nutrients. If you help the process hopefully it will be shorter and without complications.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I always switch to maintenance when I feel a cold coming on. Seems to help with recovery at least a little!

~Lyssa
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I ALWAYS have more of an appetite when Im sick, and I dont think I've ever lost my appetite...like ever...in my life lmao
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I always eat more when I'm sick, my body needs the fuel to fight the infection/virus. It takes energy to recover from illness, so give your body what it needs. You risk prolonging recovery otherwise.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    If you are actually sick then it may be good practice to eat at maintenance to allow your body to fight the bug/infection/injury. A calorie deficit can suppress the immune system to some extent.