Wondering what you all think

Options
So I am experiementing with my elliptial. My heart rate tends to go too high if I go straight through so I am wondering if I would get the same type of burn and or work out if I did the elliptial in intervals. 45 seconds (full steam) and 20 second recovery?
Ok so tell me what you think?

Replies

• cjsgrimlin
    cjsgrimlin Posts: 246
    Options
    Start like that for a while and slowly raise the timing up on it!! You'll get there!
    Just do it for a little longer and it should equal out!
  • Phanessa917
    Phanessa917 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    mixing it up is a good idea
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    ? too high? what is too high? lol...

i usually have a HR around 180 when on it, but intervals is a good idea, or just lower the intensity or resistance. that should help
  • laceylovespink
    Options
    what is 'too high'?? When i was 250 and just started on it I had to start at one minute...literally...my pulse would reach 180 sometimes because I was so out of shape (when it did I would quit doing it because that's too high). I now do it on random, level 2 - 5 for an hour and I like to alternate between levels going fast then slowing down...my pulse is usually 120-150 now no mattter how hard I'm going...
  • LauraLLee
    LauraLLee Posts: 210
    Options
    I think my range for fat burn is average between 120-155. I tend to get into the 170-180's and this high of a rate starts to burn muscle, and I want to burn fat. So I was thinking if I had my heart rate at a steady 140-145 ish for the 45 seconds because it tends to go higher that I want it to. Then I slow it down or go into recovery mode until my heart rate hits around 135 which is about 20 seconds then start all over again. I am thinking this may be a better burn for my body if my heart rate is consistantly in the range for maxiumn fat burn.
  • kristiedavis1
    Options
    Have you tried "wallking" backwards? It works a differnt set of muscles and if you are like me, I can't do it as fast. Lowers my heart rate because I'm going slower but seems so much harder. Maybe I'm just crazy though....