13 lbs in 1 week?

Options
justinbfield1490
justinbfield1490 Posts: 4 Member
edited November 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Howdy folks. I started my weight loss journey 1 week ago today on 11/2/16. My starting weight was 350. I'm 6'2'' 23 years-old. Today I weighed myself and I weighed in at 337. -13 lbs in 1 week!!! I have weighed myself under the same conditions. I have been counting calories religiously. I have set myself a 1500 calorie goal every day. I am very comfortable with this. I use a very accurate digital scale. My question is: can I have really lost 13 lbs in 1 week?

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Did you recently have an amputation?
  • hawkmancody
    hawkmancody Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Yes it is usually normal to loose a lot in the first few weeks. I lost 8 the first week then over the next couple weeks it went down to around 2-3 a week. Keep up the good work!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Yep, a load of it us water, but it all counts!

Keep up the good work, but expect a loss of 1-2lbs from now on
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If your scale says so, it might very well be true. Whether it's an exceptional loss, or whether it's mostly water, and whether the loss will continue at the same rate - no, most likely, no.

Keep at it, you're doing a great job!
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Dont worry if you see no loss this week or even an increase water weight can fluctuate quite a bit. Be religious about calorie counting and look for overall trend.

Also congrats on a good first week. Even if a lot of that was water weight some was fat. Keep it up!
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Water loss from reducing sodium and carbs, less waste in your digestive tract, a few pounds of fat loss. Hopefully you are getting adequate protein and exercising to ensure you don't lose too much muscle.

Great job, congrats!!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Water weight - but with that much to lose do you really want to start out with the lowest possible calorie goal for a male? You have no where to go when you need to adjust. Plus that's a massive deficit and may be hard to maintain for the long term.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    Even for weight loss 1500cals is low for a male your weight and height, I am not surprised you've lost a significant amount even if there was a large percentage of fluid loss.

I hope you are eating back some or all of your exercise calories. If you substantially under eat on an ongoing basis...it is likely that you will lose more lean body mass than is healthy while losing weight. It's not lean body mass you want to lose but bodyfat.
  • janekana
    janekana Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Did you recently have an amputation?

lol I actually read a horror story where a girl couldn't diet because she had binge-eating disorder, and she was obsessed with the scale that she cut her leg off so that she could impress her crush, since her leg took off a lot of weight.

It was really scary, and somehow it seems like something someone out there might be crazy enough to do.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Howdy folks. I started my weight loss journey 1 week ago today on 11/2/16. My starting weight was 350. I'm 6'2'' 23 years-old. Today I weighed myself and I weighed in at 337. -13 lbs in 1 week!!! I have weighed myself under the same conditions. I have been counting calories religiously. I have set myself a 1500 calorie goal every day. I am very comfortable with this. I use a very accurate digital scale. My question is: can I have really lost 13 lbs in 1 week?

Awesome brother and welcome aboard!

As many others have stated this is mostly water weight. I'm around 240 and my weight fluctuates ~5-6 lbs/day with water. Weight loss is by no means linear and you'll have these whoosh moments. Keep up the good work!
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Of course you can lose any amount of "weight" but only a small portion of that will be actually body tissue (i.e. fat or muscle) loss. Your scale does not distinguish between water, clothes, shoes, jewelry, hair or intestinal content weight.

Seriously, you don't actually think you can lose 13 pounds of body weight in one week do you?
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Why are you only eating 1500kcal at your weight and height? You should eat the calorie goal MFP tells you to eat for a 2lb/week loss.
  • justinbfield1490
    justinbfield1490 Posts: 4 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Thank you to all who replied. I assumed that most of the weight loss would be water weight. Hopefully, 1-2 lbs of it was fat. I was just curious if it was normal to lose that much in water weight and fat with just 1 week of proper dieting. Thank you for reassuring that it is. I expect to keep losing fat as I stay in a caloric deficit.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Lots of water, some fat and probably some muscle. As you are quite overweight, you will hopefully lose a greater proportion of fat.
  • NewGemini130
    NewGemini130 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Yes- it's normal for many- and it's more for you because your starting weight is higher. My first week was about 9 lost, I think, at about 230 to start. It will slow, but it is encouraging, right?