hear rate monitor

Options
I am looking to purchase a new heart rate monitor soon. I was on my second Polar F24 but it has broke so I am wanting to buy a different brand. I have a fitbit one and I am happy with using it to adjust my calories for walks but overall I like having the HRM for my classes or home workouts.

I am looking to spend no more than 150 for one but honestly under 100 would mean I could afford one sooner.. It seem like so many have bad reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HFPOVE4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AS9UUXZ8KC49B I have thought about this garmin one.. I know it's similar to a fitbit but I would only use it for workout out since I mentioned I am happy with my fitbit.. the only down side is no swimming but as much as I like that feature I don't do it often.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0025VKUPM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2JUPN4BTA3CZV
This garmin I think would be a good fit for me.. I mainly do body combat and a few workouts at home.. plus on the rare occasion I swim it can track for me.. down side is it's more money so the wait would be longer.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B2JMARE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
This one is affordable and does everything I would need it too..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B4UVY1Y/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AM9C408YA688Q
Another really affordable one. The top two have the plus for me for being an actual watch. I have gotten used too wearing a watch and if I get a monitor that doesn't tell me time and date I would most likely keep wearing my current hrm watch..

Anyone got any suggestions on which of the above would be best for a good hrm or another model that you would suggest.

This time of year it's hard to jusify spending money on myself so not sure if I should try to set up a goal to earn it or just buy it when I feel like I can squeeze the dollars out.. If I have to settle for something less expensive and later get a great model I am okay with that.. as long as it does what I need it to do..

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    So they all do quite different things, the only common theme being the ability to track HR.

Given what you describe about your activities, and your comments about budgeting, I'd suggest going for the lowest cost model, or not bothering at all. HR isn't a particularly good proxy for calorie expenditure in what you describe. If you run/ cycle then go for the GPS, absolutely no debate about that. Positional data is of far more value than anything else.

That said, the best of them is the 310XT, although that's principally designed for Triathlon. I have one, as the battery life is good for ultra-running.

I would avoid the VivoFit, it's principally a step tracker that has the ability to collect HR data. It would be a replacement for you Fitbit, not a supplement to it.

I wouldn't bother with either of the Timex ones as they're very limited in capability, and while I can't see their release dates the styling suggests that they're quite antiquated in design.

If you really want something then I'd suggest a first generation VivoActive, which fits into your budget. That's more equivalent to the 310XT but has more flexibility. The 310XT is obsolescent nowadays. The second generation of VivoActive is very capable, but somewhat beyond your budget.

• mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your suggestions. I just got an ad for Sam's for a Garmin Vivoactive HR Bundle. On saturday it will be 169.00 I am considering it.
  • samsmith73
    samsmith73 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I use the Vivoactive HR both for running and at the gym. I love it.
  • mygrl4meee
    Options
    Thanks.. Its what I want.. Do you have the heart rate monitor strap?
  • oldmandee
    oldmandee Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have had the Timex Run Trainer 1.0 (GPS) and the strap and was pretty happy with it ... until it stopped working last week (It was 4 years old). I am considering getting the MyZone MZ-3 HRM Strap as it seems to have some good reviews. It does not require a watch and can pair with several apps. It also stores workouts and can download to your device later. http://www.myzone.org/meet-the-mz3/
    Apparently it also pairs with systems in certain gyms for those who like their workout to be up on the TV.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're looking for a fitness tracker with HR. HR monitors by themselves shouldn't set you back more than $75, usually less but must be paired with a bluetooth device like a phone or a tracker of some sort. I use the Polar H7 but it's for heart rate alone, it pairs with my iPhone for my apps to use the HR. It's accurate and dependable, and cost me $50 on Amazon.
  • U2R2
    U2R2 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    A use a Coospo H6(budget brand) strap style HRM. Coupled with the Endomondo app it has worked very well for me.

Near as I can tell it is comparable to the Polar branded monitors, can even use the polar replacement straps. Though I've only used the Bluetooth capabilities, the Coospo is supposedly ANT+ compliant.

I saved enough on the monitor to purchase a years worth of Endomondo premium.

Just a heads up for the miserly amongst us.

ENJOY
  • _NMW
    _NMW Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I purchased my first HR watch last week - Garmin Forerunner 35 - not sure how much it is in other parts of the world. Does what I need it to do and can be customized. Tracks HR, can be used with a foot pod which is what I do for treadmill, quick GPS lock.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    U2R2 wrote: »
    A use a Coospo H6(budget brand) strap style HRM. Coupled with the Endomondo app it has worked very well for me.

Thanks!! My girlfriend needs a chest strap. She wants to use it with her phone. I use Garmin stuff so it also being ANT+ means it's a spare if I ever need to borrow one. And the price is right. :smile:
  • U2R2
    U2R2 Posts: 260 Member
    Options

Thanks!! My girlfriend needs a chest strap. She wants to use it with her phone. I use Garmin stuff so it also being ANT+ means it's a spare if I ever need to borrow one. And the price is right. :smile:

You're welcome. Hope it proves as useful to her as it has me.

BTW, I got curious after the above post and downloaded Polar's phone app(Polar Beat) and the Coospo works with it as well. PB has a nice interface, perhaps a worthy alternative to Endomondo. Further testing is needed but if PB's voice updates are on par with Endomondo Premium I will have mild regrets of upgrading to premium. :|
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Just food for thought: If your girlfriend finds a chest strap uncomfortable, check out the Scosche Rhythm+ armband strap. It's an optical sensor, but works very well (DCRainman has an excellent in-depth review of it on his site). I've been using one for a couple months and am completely satisfied with the accuracy and dependability. It's BTLE and ANT+, and will connect to both simultaneously (when I ride, I pair it with both my Apple Watch and my Garmin Edge 520, it works perfectly with both). Through playing around with it a bit, I've found that I get the best results wearing it on the outside of my upper arm, right where the biceps/delts meet.
  • _mr_b
    _mr_b Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I love my Garmin stuff, all works well, has good battery life and the Connect app is pretty good too.
    Mine mostly pre-date the vivoactive but I do have a Vivosmart HR which is very good and surprisingly accurate when compared to a chest strap. My mum has a first generation Vivoactive (the watch) and loves it, the second generation has the optical HR and it's what I'd go for if I didn't have all the others already.
  • mygrl4meee
    Options
    Sadly I don't think I am buying anything this weekend. If I am honest with myself I can't afford it unless I use credit. It bums me out but I know I should be wise and not use credit. There will be other sales.
  • noirprncess
    noirprncess Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what types of activities you like to do. Wrist HRM work well for some activities but tend not to do as well for water based workouts and some activities involving heavy wrist work. Chest HR straps are great but have to pair with something like a phone or tablet. Think about what workouts you do before you pick.

I bought a Fitbit wrist HRM (Blaze) and quickly realized that it doesn't work for all of my favorite activities. So, I invested in a Polar HRM (chest strap) that I have to sync with my cell phone for the activities that do not work with the Fitbit.
  • mygrl4meee
    Options
    My polar hrm keep breaking. They last about 2 years its why I was looking into different options. I mainly do fitness classes at the YMCA like body combat. Its possible I might do zumba or even a new class called zumba strong.. Or body attack or body pump. There has been a lot of changes so its giving me more options.. At home i am doing jillian micheals killer butt and thighs DVD and I recently started doing a little pyio at home plus I own body pump.. I am trying to get into the weight room twice a week.. Its not really my comfort zone..
  • sweetpea813
    sweetpea813 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    mygrl4meee wrote: »
    My polar hrm keep breaking. They last about 2 years its why I was looking into different options. I mainly do fitness classes at the YMCA like body combat. Its possible I might do zumba or even a new class called zumba strong.. Or body attack or body pump. There has been a lot of changes so its giving me more options.. At home i am doing jillian micheals killer butt and thighs DVD and I recently started doing a little pyio at home plus I own body pump.. I am trying to get into the weight room twice a week.. Its not really my comfort zone..

I do Zumba! I wear a Polar HRM and burn at least 650-750 a class! I lost most of my weight with Zumba. I used to do Body Pump and it gave me definition and the toned look but I will choose Zumba any day. So fun and the hour goes by so fast!