Skipping rope

Options
How affective is skipping rope for weight loss and is it better then the usual gym cardio machines? & how long would you recommend doing it for to see a change

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    calorie deficit for weight loss

skipping is a pretty good cardio work out. the 'best' exercise is the one you enjoy doing and will do regularly
  • taslima786786
    taslima786786 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I having been sticking to my carorie deficit, i enjoy using the treadmill and skipping, however wont using them everytime get my body used to it and wont make a diffrence?
  • taslima786786
    taslima786786 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    ^^ that.

I like jumping rope- I use it as a warm up (about 3-5 minutes) and then when I need to do cardio I'll do 15-25 minutes of it. so do it if you like it- but keep your calorie deficit and you'll be okay either way.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Options
    I having been sticking to my carorie deficit, i enjoy using the treadmill and skipping, however wont using them everytime get my body used to it and wont make a diffrence?

Go further or faster, or both.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,991 Member
    Options
    Jumping rope is a great cardio exercise if you can do it w/o stopping for 5-10+ mins.

I envy those who can. Due to lack of coordination and endurance, I can barely do it for more than a minute and I have no desire or interest to try to get better at it. My jump rope has hung unused in the same spot for almost 10 years as a reminder of my limitations. LOL!

Spin biking and rowing are my cardio exercise preferences.
  • ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    Options

I like skipping rope, and do it between weight lifting sets to keep my heart rate elevated. As far as the body getting used to an activity, that doesn't really happen the way some people seem to think. Yes, as your weight decreases, it takes less energy to move your body. Therefore, fewer calories burned. Also, becoming good at something usually goes hand in had with an improved economy of motion. For example, you don't need to jump as high to clear the rope and your wrists turn the rope in small circles instead of large arm circles. The heart/lungs require less energy as cardio vascular health improves because they aren't working as hard. These decreases can be offset through increased intensity and/or duration. Otherwise, there's no amount of "getting used to" an activity to magically defy the laws of physics and make it possible for you to move without expending any energy (i.e., burn calories).
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Is skipping rope the same as jumping rope? I always thought of them as different things, but now I'm not sure.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,991 Member
    Options
    Sara1791 wrote: »
    Is skipping rope the same as jumping rope?

I always considered them the same and use the terms interchangeably. I think most do.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

No. You're still skipping/jumping/hopping into the air. That requires a certain amount of work. As you get lighter (lose weight), it'll require a little less work to get your body into the air. But that's it.