Weather Change & Your Body...Anyone Else in Pain?

Options
Not to sound like a complainer but every year the weather change gets me. I have an autoimmune issue which causes RA and in addition to that I have screws and an implant in one foot, so the weather changing always gets me. It's more bearable whenever it's getting warmer, but summer into fall/winter is terrible. I'm still hitting the gym, but it's frustrating AF to be struggling with weights that are normally easy to me and not because my muscles are tired, but because I'm in legit pain. Anyone else know the struggle? How do you deal?

I have little heat warmers that I put on my foot that ease the spasms so I can sleep, make sure I wear good shoes and attempt to massage my joints/stretch when possible. I hate taking any type of pain meds so I try and avoid that at all costs.

Happy fall, ya'll!

Replies

• Honiebabe
    Honiebabe Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi! I love the colors of fall, but oooh how it hurts me. I was in a car accident and shattered my heel, and I have degenerative nerve damage in my back. I'm going back through physical therapy again, because the way I'm walking is causing problems with the rest of my body. So I completely understand, I always have heating pads and ice packs on rotation lots of Epsom salt. It's very hard to keep a smile on my face while hurting, but I do try
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Yeah I've been noticing my knees are starting to complain more with the cooler weather. Hot epsom salt soaks help a lot. So does ice but it is hard to make myself ice when it is cold out. I also recently got a tens unit to treat a shoulder injury, and am going to try that for my knees to see if it can help when they are really aching.

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I get headaches due to previous brain injuries and some of my old muscle or bone injuries hurt bad when the weather changes. I use a heating pad when it gets really bad and for a few of them I can wrap them with an ace bandage or compression sleeve. I'm not opposed to using pain killers, so a combination pain killer that has caffeine seems to help me the most.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,263 Member
    Options
    Does your gym have a hot tub? I wonder if it would help to get good and warm before beginning your workout? Just an idea as I don't suffer from this, but it must be disheartening and demotivating. Good luck :heart:
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I was just discussing this with someone in the gym, we both said we were having more general aches and pains right now. So, if I am feeling it, then I would assume that having other issues like RA and surgeries, etc would make it worse. Although I had hip replacement surgery almost 6 years ago and that doesn't seem to ache.
  • mgookin
    mgookin Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Yes! I have permanent damage done to my pelvis and lower spine from severe SPD when I was pregnant with my son. The second the cold weather rolled in, its been a struggle moving ever since.
    I been doing a combination of Epsom salt soaks w/ menthol, Heating pads, and patches. With those I can atleast manage about 10k steps a day and doing at home workouts. Gym will have to wait till warmer weather comes back.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Does your gym have a hot tub? I wonder if it would help to get good and warm before beginning your workout? Just an idea as I don't suffer from this, but it must be disheartening and demotivating. Good luck :heart:

We don't have a hot tub, but we DO have a sauna. I wish we had a hot tub though, that would be phenomenal.
  • peaceout_aly
    Options
    Alidecker wrote: »
    I was just discussing this with someone in the gym, we both said we were having more general aches and pains right now. So, if I am feeling it, then I would assume that having other issues like RA and surgeries, etc would make it worse. Although I had hip replacement surgery almost 6 years ago and that doesn't seem to ache.

WOW you're lucky that your hip isn't bothering you. Can't even imagine going through that! I feel like the change of seasons and the chill of winter does a number on so many (even otherwise very healthy and in-shape gym-goers). The cold just isn't good for the body :(
  • peaceout_aly
    Options
    Yeah I've been noticing my knees are starting to complain more with the cooler weather. Hot epsom salt soaks help a lot. So does ice but it is hard to make myself ice when it is cold out. I also recently got a tens unit to treat a shoulder injury, and am going to try that for my knees to see if it can help when they are really aching.

Everyone suggests epsom salt baths but we don't have a bath tub, unfortunately, only showers. We're moving sometime after the new year and my top priorities are a jacuzzi tub and a shower with a built-in bench seat in the master bathroom LOL
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    In to hear from others, I have no advice. This is the first year it's happened to me, but my knees, hips, and shoulders have been really unhappy this week as it's gotten colder (and it's not COLD here yet by any means... I hate to think how I'm going to feel when it starts to freeze). I've been putting very little stress on my body, sticking to just walking. I'm hoping I'll adapt, but if not, it sounds like there's a lot of hot baths and trips to the hot tub in my future.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    My left knee starts in on me about this time of year. It's been much better since I started taking Osteo Biflex daily but I can still feel it. Generally once I start working out the pain/stiffness goes away, but getting started in the mornings sometimes takes a lot of will power when it's aching. Right knee was repaired a few years ago (I folded it sideways lol) and surprisingly it causes me no trouble.
  • ereilly311
    ereilly311 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Not to sound like a complainer but every year the weather change gets me. I have an autoimmune issue which causes RA and in addition to that I have screws and an implant in one foot, so the weather changing always gets me. It's more bearable whenever it's getting warmer, but summer into fall/winter is terrible. I'm still hitting the gym, but it's frustrating AF to be struggling with weights that are normally easy to me and not because my muscles are tired, but because I'm in legit pain. Anyone else know the struggle? How do you deal?

I have little heat warmers that I put on my foot that ease the spasms so I can sleep, make sure I wear good shoes and attempt to massage my joints/stretch when possible. I hate taking any type of pain meds so I try and avoid that at all costs.

Happy fall, ya'll!

@peaceout_aly I'm new to this thread but just wanted to say I totally know your pain! I have RA too and have been having issues with the weather changes. I live in NH and our weather keeps flip flopping this fall from warm to cold, so my body doesn't know what it wants to do either.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I have gout and I will often get a flare up...usually sometime in September/October when fall starts to roll in...it actually hasn't happened for a couple of years, but I got wracked this year...worst of the pain lasted for about two weeks but wasn't pain free for about six weeks. It sucked to because I had just been cleared by my physical therapist to resume training (had been out for about six weeks with a herniated disk/pinched nerve) and my flare happened the very next day...so all in all, I was sidelined for about 12 weeks.
  • peaceout_aly
    Options
    In to hear from others, I have no advice. This is the first year it's happened to me, but my knees, hips, and shoulders have been really unhappy this week as it's gotten colder (and it's not COLD here yet by any means... I hate to think how I'm going to feel when it starts to freeze). I've been putting very little stress on my body, sticking to just walking. I'm hoping I'll adapt, but if not, it sounds like there's a lot of hot baths and trips to the hot tub in my future.

I hate thinking about the fact that it's only going to get colder! From experience, it usually gets a little more bearable mid-winter when your body kind of adjusts. It's more the change of seasons and daily dramatic temperature changes that affect it the most. I'm terrible at taking it easy! Props to you for listening to your body.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I have RA as well. I also work helping people with RA/cancer in fitness. Weather & stress of the two biggest triggers of flare ups.

I'm med free so the pain in somewhat of a balancing act for lifting. One has to pay a little more attention on what is causing pain and swelling than people who don't have the silent disease. I've found yoga has helped a lot of us with autoimmune disease. The breathing alone and calming the tense of the body does wonders.
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    For me it varies, by year; not temperature and/or even wind. 1 year I physically couldn't cope, with anything under 40 degrees and/or windy. I remember 1 day, it was 29 degrees, with an okay breeze & I was all bundled but it all made my face hurt, so awfully anyway; that I had to not cry because I was afraid that, the tears freezing to my face'd hurt; even more. Other years before & after, I've been been able to deal with, nearly 0 degree weather just fine!
  • ereilly311
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    I have RA as well. I also work helping people with RA/cancer in fitness. Weather & stress of the two biggest triggers of flare ups.

I'm med free so the pain in somewhat of a balancing act for lifting. One has to pay a little more attention on what is causing pain and swelling than people who don't have the silent disease. I've found yoga has helped a lot of us with autoimmune disease. The breathing alone and calming the tense of the body does wonders.

@Chieflrg What kind of yoga would you suggest for someone with RA? I've tried it a few times at my gym, but the classes all seemed to be the fast moving "power yoga" types and I was in more pain after doing that.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    ereilly311 wrote: »

@Chieflrg What kind of yoga would you suggest for someone with RA? I've tried it a few times at my gym, but the classes all seemed to be the fast moving "power yoga" types and I was in more pain after doing that.

@ereilly311
    I know, I made that mistake early on myself.

I yoga mostly by alone, pretty much Kripalu style with inverts mixed in.

I've taken some Yin classes which focuses on lengthening the connective tissues, which can be perfect for those with RA. Trick is to take your time, do what you can and use child pose when you need a break. We get hit swelling ten fold going to hard to soon.

Also using yoga blocks and resistance bands or straps really helps with some of the poses.
  • ereilly311
    Options
    ereilly311 wrote: »

@ereilly311
    I know, I made that mistake early on myself.

I yoga mostly by alone, pretty much Kripalu style with inverts mixed in.

I've taken some Yin classes which focuses on lengthening the connective tissues, which can be perfect for those with RA. Trick is to take your time, do what you can and use child pose when you need a break. We get hit swelling ten fold going to hard to soon.

Also using yoga blocks and resistance bands or straps really helps with some of the poses.

@Chieflrg Thanks! I will definitely look into some of those to try out!