hip/knee pain

Options
Hey guys, I just had a question. I have always loved running, but recently have been upping my mileage...I used to only go 4-5 miles a day but the last two weeks I have been going somewhere from 7-10 miles a day.

However, when I get to like mile 5, my knees and my hips start to bother me. It feels almost as if the bones are grinding together. By the time my run is complete, my knees and hip joints are very painful and I don't think I could run more then 10 miles in that pain. Which is really frustrating because I could easily run more if not for the pain.

Is this a normal problem to have when beginning to run longer distances? AKA, do i just need to get stronger and the pain will eventually go away? Or is this something I should get checked out.

Thanks for whatever advice you have! :)

Replies

• Scrogdor
    Scrogdor Posts: 4
    Options
    That is a big jump to go 4-5 miles to -10 miles, especially if you are doing it every day. You need time for break, your body needs to recoup. It is jarring on the bones and joints to run for that long. Maybe you need to eat more carbs to be honest, so your body has the energy to continue that run.

You ever watch marathon runners eat liquid food stuffs while they run? Because they have to keep that internal engine fueled.

Scale down your running, and maybe add a mile every 2 weeks or so. Eat more carbs to, if you are happy with where your weight is at. Chances are, your body just doesn't have the energy nor endurance right now to go that far yet.

Keep training, and I have a feeling you will be passing 10 in no time, with no pain.
  • chiwalker
    chiwalker Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    One thing might be your technique. Have you ever tried Chirunning? It's a way to run that is pain-free. I am a Chiwalker and just returned from a week-long workshop on that. I found it really helpful, and I no longer have hip and calf pain when I do my fitness walking. Chirunners from all over the world were there to learn the running technique. Many of them attended because they love to run, but have had injuries. If you are interested, they have a website, www.chirunning.com. They have books and videos that are very helpful. It might be worth it to give it a try. Good luck!