Anyone grow their own vegies/fruit ?

Options
IzzyBooNZ1
IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
Hi there, I am considering growing my own vegies and maybe fruit but have no idea how to start, what to do and would appreciate if anyone has any tips/advice etc.

Few things :
I am in New Zealand so it is currently my winter .

I would need to grow them in a wooden box of some sort ( our garden isn't suitable for growing vegies etc)

Just not sure what soil, do I need to add stuff to the soil etc etc??

When it is summer I would like to start with fruit.

Also I am a bit clueless about when certain fruit/vegies are in season.

Replies

• Dellonious1
    Dellonious1 Posts: 209
    Options
    Get some plant dirt/soil.. I grow tomatoes and peppers, I buy a plant or buy the seeds. And I grown them in a 5galon pail...Best of luck.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    I would suggest a trip to your local garden centre and a bunch of Googling.
  • Bumblebee26
    Bumblebee26 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I grow a lot. Not sure on the temps there, but instead of getting wood, try to find some old tires and that will help with potatos,beans, sweet potatos, tomatos in the cooler months. You can also start the sprouts inside your house(we built a green house for very little money-we repurposed windows doors,pool liners and pieces of an old house. A "hoop house" is also very economical to build. I know here(WVa-United States) we can start in Febuary for certain things and then plant until the spring.
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Go to Bunnings or a plant nursery, or weekend market, they will have seedlings to plant out now and should be happy to give you advise. I know there are some varieties of citrus that you can grow in a pot, cherry tomatoes, you'll have fun. I grow herbs as pot plants. I request plants for Mother's Day, birthdays. I was so thrilled that my lots of lemons Mother's Day gift this year is now in blossom in the pot it came in. I'm in Brisbane and visit my family in Auckland each year.
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    P S if your dog is inclined to lift his leg, don't grow herbs where he has access to relieve himself (seriously)
  • Litening
    Litening Posts: 1
    Options
    I live in California and grow a number of veges. Some doing well, and some... well they gopher seems to like them more than I do, because he snatched them before I got to taste it!

But I believe there are some plants you can grown in the winter, such as snap peas, spinach, cabbage, broccoli, radishes and onions. It seems to me that veges with vibrant colors are the only ones that don't last the winter.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    thanks all ! ac rtually we have some spare tyres sitting around so might put them to use. I will have to put them away from where my dogs can nose about as theyt do. cheers for everyone and the advice