innaccurate scales

Options
i bought some salter bathroom scales about 2 weeks ago so there brand new, but each time i step ion them i get about 3 different reading each time. the difference is between 2lbs. i do have to move them as the bathroom isnt big enough to keep them where they are.. is there something i need to do each time i get them down before weighing myself?

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    The floor is probably uneven. Either find a flat area where you can keep them or get a piece of wood big enough to create a flat, level hard standing.
  • meeshymoosh
    meeshymoosh Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    ^^ Yes. If you're weighing on tile, the grooves can provide an uneven surface. Or on carpet. Or on a bowing wood floor. :)
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Uneven floor, not stepping on it JUST right, etc..... Some of these things are touchy. Maybe try it in different rooms with a non-carpeted floor and see where it shows a more accurate reading.
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Uneven floor, not stepping on tit JUST right, etc..... Some of these things are touchy. Maybe try it in different rooms with a non-carpeted floor and see where it shows a more accurate reading.

Please don't step on your tit.

Good lawd! Yes, please ignore my typo! LOL!

In all seriousness, this is sage advice for 65 and older crowd.
  • slickmickey
    slickmickey Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    i have that issue because i have natural slate in the bathroom - i just weigh myself until i get 2 of the same reading and thats what i go with for that weigh-in. somedays i get the same back to back, sometimes it can take 4 or 5 tries. i try to put it in the exact same place on one single tile for the most accurate results i can produce without bringing the scale into the living room lol
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Yes that's what I do. The 1 tile is big enough to just fit the scales and I get on it until a same reading shows 3 times lol
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Yes that's what I do. The 1 tile is big enough to just fit the scales and I get on it until a same reading shows 3 times lol

Also understand that the number really doesn't matter...you could get on three different scales and you're likely to get three different weights...the actual number doesn't matter, the trend is what matters.
  • leahcollett1
    Options
    Yea but when it's the difference between losing gaining or staying the same it's hard to know
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    That's unfortunate. I had a pair of scales like these. Couldn't keep track of whether I was losing or gaining. I replaced them.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I care about trend. I step on the scale. It's an electronic scale. I stand there and wait for it to lock a reading, then record that reading. I don't turn it off and back on and try again hoping for a lower reading. I just take the first reading it gives me. The trend lately hasn't been so good. I know why. It's me.
    Options
    If a set of scales is consistently wrong contact the manufacturer. Often they will replace the faulty merchandise or refund your money, even with out a receipt. Also, giving them feed back at the very least may possibly prompt a change in the product if enough people have the same complaint.
  • DanniB423
    DanniB423 Posts: 776 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Make sure you are recalibrating when you move it. Put the scale where you want. Press it on. Let it turn off totally and then use it.

Edit: typo.
  • leahcollett1
    Options
    DanniB423 wrote: »
    Make sure you are recalibrating when you move it. Put the scale where you want. Press it on. Let it turn off totally and then use it.

Ah this is interesting I turn it on then hop on it after moving it in place..I'll try that thank you
  • DanniB423
    DanniB423 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    DanniB423 wrote: »

Ah this is interesting I turn it on then hop on it after moving it in place..I'll try that thank you
    This is necessary for any scale I have ever had. :)