Why am I not losing weight? I'm doing everything right.

Options
2»

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    avskk wrote: »
    Hey, OP, I just wanted to say that the way you listened to people's advice and made a plan was great to see. :)

IKR? We've had a few of those the past month or so. Nice change to the "obvious what the poster's doing wrong; gets pointed out; poster argues that that couldn't be possible; round and round we go..."
  • meeshymoosh
    meeshymoosh Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    As a newer member to the forums, this whole exchange has been very pleasant to read! Sometimes I lurk and am completely baffled by both posters and commenters' attitudes. Good job everyone! xD
  • Micah_Johnson
    Micah_Johnson Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. The scale I ordered does have a TARE button on it, but until I just Googled it, I had no idea what it did. That function will make measurement easier, though.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I think all of them have a tare button.. well postal scales may not, but food scales should. When I started out I used a postal scale for oz and grams but quickly ordered me a scale with a glass top that is removable for easy cleanup. ;)
  • sydnisd183
    sydnisd183 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I just bought a $15 digital scale yesterday from WalMart. It has a Tare feature on it. That little guy is such a great investment. What a difference. My eyeballing and using cups were wildly off and I was wondering why the scale was not moving. I look forward to my next weigh in.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Get a digital scale.

Also get enough protein
  • SDB210
    SDB210 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    ElvenToad wrote: »
    Tips for the food scale, hopefully you got one with a TARE button! Set plate on the scale, turn on, add food (jot down grams) hit TARE, repeat for each item. Also things like peanut butter, put jar on the scale, turn it on, take out desired amount, remove jar, the negative grams number will be how much you scooped out. Little tips and tricks you learn along the way make it much easier. I remember at first I thought I was supposed to put my food directly on the scale lol (no).

Food scale is quick and easy, takes all the guesswork out of the process. I have been losing steadily for 2.5 years now and I give all the credit to my food scale.. well I guess I deserve a little too ;)

Oh my GOD! Why did I never think to do this!!!
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    You don't even have to remove the jar! Tare your scale with the jar on it, scoop out your PB (or yogurt or whatever), and the negative number is how many grams you took.

I mean, you have to remove the jar eventually... but it's not essential to the logging process. ;)
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    For PB&J I put plate on scale. Turn on. Put bread on scale. Note grams, tare. Add PB to bread. Tare. Add no-sugar-added to bread. Tare. That way it doesn't matter that some of the PB clings to the knife!
  • Micah_Johnson
    Micah_Johnson Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    For PB&J I put plate on scale. Turn on. Put bread on scale. Note grams, tare. Add PB to bread. Tare. Add no-sugar-added to bread. Tare. That way it doesn't matter that some of the PB clings to the knife!

Yep, Staci, I was thinking about the same approach to my morning breakfast. Bowl. Tare. Dry granola. Tare. Yoghurt. Tare. Almonds. My scale arrives tomorrow, and I can't wait to get started. For some reason, I'm someone who finds new gadgets kind of motivating. I think I'll spring for a Fitbit for myself for Christmas.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Yep, Staci, I was thinking about the same approach to my morning breakfast. Bowl. Tare. Dry granola. Tare. Yoghurt. Tare. Almonds. My scale arrives tomorrow, and I can't wait to get started. For some reason, I'm someone who finds new gadgets kind of motivating. I think I'll spring for a Fitbit for myself for Christmas.

Do it!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Glad you're getting a digital scale, OP!!

Oh, just to point out; it's not necessary to cut out foods/food groups for weight loss. You can still incorporate your favourites just as long as they fit in your daily calories.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    SDB210 wrote: »
    ElvenToad wrote: »
    Tips for the food scale, hopefully you got one with a TARE button! Set plate on the scale, turn on, add food (jot down grams) hit TARE, repeat for each item. Also things like peanut butter, put jar on the scale, turn it on, take out desired amount, remove jar, the negative grams number will be how much you scooped out. Little tips and tricks you learn along the way make it much easier. I remember at first I thought I was supposed to put my food directly on the scale lol (no).

Food scale is quick and easy, takes all the guesswork out of the process. I have been losing steadily for 2.5 years now and I give all the credit to my food scale.. well I guess I deserve a little too ;)

Oh my GOD! Why did I never think to do this!!!

Works for condiments as well. How much ketchup did you put on your fries.
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Have you done any measurements of your waist, arms, chest? Do your clothes fit more loosely than before. That is something that won't show up on your scale.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Even if the scale doesn't have a tare button (zero button), usually if you put an item on it before you switch it on (or turn it off and on again with the item on it), it will zero itself with the item on it, which achieves the same thing as a tare button.