Excited for first 5K!!!

Options
Went on Active.com today and signed up for a 5K walk in my area... its a month from now so really have the time to drop some pounds and shape up some more!!!

From the fat & lazy girl that used to veg out in front of the TV and stuff her face to the girl that just signed up for a 5K and exercises 7 days a week... I feel like a new person and I LOVE IT!!!!!

Anyone else in the Tampa Bay area wanna join me, I can send you the link!

If anyone has any advice for a 1st timer I'd appreciate it... :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Replies

• AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your 1st 5K. Check the links in my signature for pre-race pointers.

you'll have a blast, and like others become addicted. :smile:
  • dreanance
    dreanance Posts: 246
    Options
    Good for you! I ran my first 5k in June, after training for 2 months. I finished in 24:10, I couldn't believe it. I'm addicted now!
  • BaileyBoo13524
    BaileyBoo13524 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Went on Active.com today and signed up for a 5K walk in my area... its a month from now so really have the time to drop some pounds and shape up some more!!!

From the fat & lazy girl that used to veg out in front of the TV and stuff her face to the girl that just signed up for a 5K and exercises 7 days a week... I feel like a new person and I LOVE IT!!!!!

Anyone else in the Tampa Bay area wanna join me, I can send you the link!

If anyone has any advice for a 1st timer I'd appreciate it... :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :heart: :heart: :heart:

GOOD FOR YOU!! When I ran my first 5k it was the most amazing feeling afterwards!! To prepare I used to C25K program which is an 8-9 week program, but I am sure that since you have already been exercising you could bump it up! Just be sure that when you do run to not start out too fast you will burn out!! GOOD LUCK!!
  • lindak71
    lindak71 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I see you're a Yankee fan? I am actually doing the Damon Runyon 5K For Cancer Research at Yankee Stadium on 8/7! I can not wait! I started running about a year and a half ago, mostly walking with little spurts of running. Kept adding distance and now I'm a runner. If you're thinking about running I highly recommend the couch to 5K program on Facebook or www.coolrunning.com. I'm contemplating signing up for a 10K one week after my local 5K.

Good luck! You'll love it! What's great about it is the sense of community you get when all of these people get together to help a charity AND it's a great individual sport. You can ALWAYS improve your time or add distance!
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    getting ready to do my first 5k at the end of August! Really excited but training at easy. I used the c25k program and it is good I am working on speed now :) good luck and have fun!
  • halzuzu
    halzuzu Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I just signed up for my first 5K today as well. Excited but nervous cause I only have a month and I dont usually run. I do work-out for at least 45 mins 5-6 days a week. I'm fit, but running is new to me. Gonna start out with the run/walk training and go from there. Hoping this will turn into a new hobby for me.
  • SmileeBarbFLA
    Options
    Congrats on your 1st 5K. Check the links in my signature for pre-race pointers.

you'll have a blast, and like others become addicted. :smile:

Thanks! Great advice... I'm only doing a "racewalk" as they call it to start with but I figure, gotta start somewhere... :happy:
  • SmileeBarbFLA
    Options
    I see you're a Yankee fan? I am actually doing the Damon Runyon 5K For Cancer Research at Yankee Stadium on 8/7!

That is insane!!! I would totally love that... too bad I don't live in NY anymore or I would be there in a heartbeat!!! Yankee Stadium is my happy place... hehehe
  • paucar7
    paucar7 Posts: 6
    Options
    Ah! Good luck! I ran my first 5k a few weeks ago and absolutely loved it! I ended up getting second place so that was a huge surprise!

Just a little bit of advice - make sure you pace yourself and keep at a speed that you've been training at and know you can do. As soon as the race starts a bunch of people take off running really fast right away and its tempting to want to keep up with them. But if you stick to the pace you know you can hold out for the whole 5k, soon enough you'll be passing lots of them as they burn out. :) Good luck! Have fun!
  • RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Kill it girl!!!!!
  • FL_Nettie
    FL_Nettie Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Just a little bit of advice - make sure you pace yourself and keep at a speed that you've been training at and know you can do. As soon as the race starts a bunch of people take off running really fast right away and its tempting to want to keep up with them. But if you stick to the pace you know you can hold out for the whole 5k, soon enough you'll be passing lots of them as they burn out. :) Good luck! Have fun!

I can't agree with this more! Make sure to run YOUR race, not anyone else's. The 1st one I did my son and I ran together and I started off at his pace. By the 1st mile I was ready to throw up! He's a track and field runner and I'm not. I've learned my lesson and now run at my own pace.

And most of all....HAVE FUN!!!! I always wave and say "Hi" to the volunteers working the race.
  • Jenlynphi
    Jenlynphi Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Yay! I know you are excited. I did my first this past spring. It's too hot to do any right now. I am waiting until the fall to do another one. I started in the very back, with all the moms with the strollers. Big mistake. Took forever to get past them. Good luck!