tips for cold weather hunger

Options
So in the last few days the temperature has dropped below 5℃/40℉ and cold weather makes me ravenous. Last night I had a cheeky cuppa soup (80cals) which seemed to help. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Replies

• alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Hot broth or stock, hot tea, hot chocolate. Pretty much stick the word hot in front of anything you can consume and you're good
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Agreed re the hot drinks. I'm also increasing my activity to free up some extra calories.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Hot drinks, or make yourself a pot of veggie soup you can munch on. Other filling comfort foods are veggie and lentil curries, or casseroles. Low cal and satisfying.
  • frannyupnorth
    frannyupnorth Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Ah yes, when you said stock I thought of bovril - that probably even helps with the protein target as well, thanks
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    low cal hot chocolate for me.
  • frannyupnorth
    frannyupnorth Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hot chocolate is another one I'll try, wish there were low cal marshmallows to go in those too
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    For myself, I have found out that it's not actual hunger, it's more of a desire for "comfort" and comfort eating. I make a lot of soups and stews this time of year and are great for lunches and dinners and reasonable calorie wise...I also gravitate towards warm beverages and that helps.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    For myself, I have found out that it's not actual hunger, it's more of a desire for "comfort" and comfort eating. I make a lot of soups and stews this time of year and are great for lunches and dinners and reasonable calorie wise...I also gravitate towards warm beverages and that helps.

Same. Soups, stews, chili, curries, etc. All of the one pot hot meals.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Roasted butternut squash does it for me, with a handful of pecans cooked in. Also roasted Brussels sprouts and cauliflower with garlic.
  • LessofAJ
    LessofAJ Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I almost always have a hot herbal tea in my hand. Comforting, gets my "water" in and curbs appetite. Shop around for flavors, I found Salted Caramel by Bigalow and drink it with no added sweeteners.
  • akamran1
    akamran1 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I love creamy soups like chowders when it's colder, and found a great hack: puree. For a chowder, I'd puree a potato and add it back in -- means no actual cream is necessary. I also love this black bean soup from Weight Watchers: https://www.weightwatchers.com/us/recipe/spicy-black-bean-soup-1/5626a5ef2084d63a340186b2
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    LessofAJ wrote: »
    I almost always have a hot herbal tea in my hand. Comforting, gets my "water" in and curbs appetite. Shop around for flavors, I found Salted Caramel by Bigalow and drink it with no added sweeteners.

• SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Soup! Filling and low calorie (as long as it's not a "cream of..." variety.

Stews are great. Roasted vegetables too.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,374 Member
    Options
    soon as i run out of chicken soup, I make more & put different veggies in it, also hot tea with raw honey