Ranch Dressing

Options
sceck
sceck Posts: 219
Just made a GREAT Ranch Dressing. Used my homemade yogurt instead of sour cream (calorie savings there), used my reserved whey instead of buttermilk (LOTS of calorie savings there, too). Used some mayo, rice vinegar and lots of herbs. It really tastes just like good ol' Ranch Dressing. I'm amazed!!

Replies

• mistyb47711
    mistyb47711 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    post it on here so we al can enjoy ;)
  • skoch8
    skoch8 Posts: 5
    Options
    Ranch has been one of things I just can't give up! I know it's bad for you but it TASTES SO GOOD!!!!!
  • accio_skinnyjeans
    Options
    You should definitely post the recipe. I absolutely love ranch dressing and I'm trying to avoid it since starting my diet.
  • sceck
    sceck Posts: 219
    Options
    Okay, here goes. I made crockpot yogurt with skim milk. Love it. I strain it through coffee filters and the result is creamy yogurt and a LOT of whey. I just pour the whey into glasses, cover in the frig. Use the whey like buttermilk, but 1c. of whey is 59 calories, 1c. of buttermilk is 137. And yogurt calories are far less than sour cream. They both taste similar, so I tried it.

Ranch Dressing:

1/3 c. Mayonnaise
    1/3 c. Yogurt (instead of sour cream)
    1/3 c. Whey (instead of buttermilk)
    3 T. lemon juice or rice vinegar
    1/2 t. garlic powder
    1/2 t. onion powder
    1/2 t. dry dill
    1/2 t. dry parsley
    1/4 t. salt
    1/4 t. pepper
    honey to taste

Mix well, that's it!!!

The recipe I found calls for fresh parsley, chives, and garlic. I didn't have those so that is what I used. I used the rice vinegar instead of the lemon juice, and honestly, I probably would only use 2T. the next time, because the homemade yogurt is a little bitier than most. I let it sit a little while, then added one drizzle of honey. (Just walked into the kitchen to see if it still tastes the way I said it did, and it does.) Try it, you'll like it.
  • med79
    med79 Posts: 288
    Options
    bump
  • ch178
    ch178 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    bump