Goal: drop 75lbs in a year

Hi All!
I was wondering if anyone has any tips for me to stay on track on losing 75lbs within a year? I need to find something that will help me stay motivated. I'm struggling because I keep yo-yo-ing on my weight and staying on track.

Help!

Replies

• Intentional_Me
    Intentional_Me Posts: 336 Member
    What is your starting weight and height?
  • stephi9
    stephi9 Posts: 417 Member
    I want to drop 65lb in 6 months!!! wish me luck
  • Just pointing out first...suggesting that OP aim to drop 2-3 lbs a week without knowing her starting height or weight is not really the best call. If OP is, for instance, a 5'6" woman who weighs 200 lbs and wants to get down to 125 lb, then 2-3 lbs a week is not at ALL safe or realistic.
    If you give us those details, OP, we'll try to get you started on a game plan that will hopefully work well for you!

well 200lbs at 5'6'' is considered Obese (32 bmi)...but then again, bone frame plays a role too... educate me on how losing 2-3 lbs would be unsafe
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,787 Member
    edited November 2016
    For one thing, you don't know the OP is 5'6" or weighs 200 pounds.

For another thing, weight loss of 3lb/week is generally only recommended for the seriously obese, under medical supervision. The OP has 75lbs to lose, which is a lot, but isn't the 100-300 pounds a severely obese person needs to lose quickly.
  • Intentional_Me
    Intentional_Me Posts: 336 Member
    Just pointing out first...suggesting that OP aim to drop 2-3 lbs a week without knowing her starting height or weight is not really the best call. If OP is, for instance, a 5'6" woman who weighs 200 lbs and wants to get down to 125 lb, then 2-3 lbs a week is not at ALL safe or realistic.
    If you give us those details, OP, we'll try to get you started on a game plan that will hopefully work well for you!

Thank you. I was just about to say, woah. We don't have stats yet!
  • i lost my excess weight quite fast (but i still have more to lose too). eventho health-wise i'm in the clear and didn't really experience any complications other than minor annoyances like feeling cold, headaches, etc...it was definitely something i was ignorant about because my goal was to work really hard every day/stay in control and get closer and closer to healthy bmi for my height
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    edited November 2016
    i lost my excess weight quite fast (but i still have more to lose too). eventho health-wise i'm in the clear and didn't really experience any complications other than minor annoyances like feeling cold, headaches, etc...it was definitely something i was ignorant about because my goal was to work really hard every day/stay in control and get closer and closer to healthy bmi for

This type of perspective isn't helpful for a woman just starting out. Men can drop weight faster but you've also sacrificed muscle losing in this way. What you call minor annoyances can have a detrimental effect on long term success and health.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited November 2016
    avskk wrote: »
    For one thing, you don't know the OP is 5'6" or weighs 200 pounds.

For another thing, weight loss of 3lb/week is generally only recommended for the seriously obese, under medical supervision. The OP has 75lbs to lose, which is a lot, but isn't the 100-300 pounds a severely obese person needs to lose quickly.

Right, plus we don't even know if OP is obese. She may not even really need to lose 75lbs. If she is merely overweight, then keeping a 1000 calorie deficit per day that's necessary to lose 2 lbs/wk will likely have her netting well below 1200 calories. That's not a good place to be.
    Plus, the smaller a person gets, the less quickly they need to lose weight, ensuring preservation of muscle mass, hair, nails, etc..
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    75lbs is doable in 6 months too (that's about 12 lbs lost every 30 days)....aim to lose 2-3 lbs a week by focusing on the 24 hours in front of you (if ur weight is a lot higher, u'll lose more faster)--burn more than you eat each day. also don't aim to clean up your diet--if u want a big mac after work--EAT IT and log it.. All that matters is that you don't overdo the cals. even if u do, LOG IT and learn from it. as long as you don't make it a habit, u'll see progress... also, cardio and lifting weights helps so much... it raises serotonin in your brain--especially when u sweat!

I agree with most of the rest of your advice though..especially the part about logging your calories and learning from it. That's great stuff.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    amyepdx wrote: »
    i lost my excess weight quite fast (but i still have more to lose too). eventho health-wise i'm in the clear and didn't really experience any complications other than minor annoyances like feeling cold, headaches, etc...it was definitely something i was ignorant about because my goal was to work really hard every day/stay in control and get closer and closer to healthy bmi for

This type of perspective isn't helpful for a woman just starting out. Men can drop weight faster but you've also sacrificed muscle losing in this way. What you call minor annoyances can have a detrimental effect on long term success and health.

Sorry - quote error - continued...

OP - read all the excellent advice above - set your calories to lose no more than 1.5 lb/week and take it one day at a time - a year will go by before you know it! I lost 65 the first year and that accounts for holidays, vacations, business trips and other life events that you need to learn to deal with to keep losing and eventually maintain which is what it's all about! You can do it!!
  • bl3ss3dmfp
    bl3ss3dmfp Posts: 43 Member
    My advice... stay away from quick fixes and fad diets. You get fast results, but then lose the results fast as well. Be realistic with your approach, setting mini goals along the way and mini awards as well to keep you pushing day to day. Log your meals accurately, shoot to exercise at least 5 times a wk. Lots of waters, veggies, protein, fruits, minimal starchy foods, processed foods and sweets.

Back in 2012 I lost over 80 lbs in less than 7 months.... that was done without any fad diets, meal plans or even a gym membership. I just ate clean as I could 5 days a week usually ate around the 1500 cal range w/exercise. I exercised 5-6 days a week usually hiit training with some weights occasionally but mainly just bodyweight circuits. And on weekends I was more lenient with my foods to keep the cravings midweek at bay. I drank 100oz-gallon day of pure water and set mini goals/rewards to keep pushing forwards. I used this app to lose it. The reason Im back now is because Ive have 2 little ones since then and have pre/pregnancy weight to lose.

While I lost that weight fast I was bigger to begin with so most was in the beginning... it slowed down as I went. Please don't undereat, buy into gimmicks or products to lose it. Believe me it can be done with just good eating habits to lose the weight and working out to shape the body as you lose.Find some good fitness pals, and enjoy the journey. Take lots of pics as you go.... they tend to be the best indicator or progress made and motivator Good luck!!! :-)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Why do you want to lose 75 lbs? Why do you want to do it in a year? The answers are your motivation. Then set a plan as to how you can accomplish this. Then follow the plan regardless of how you feel on any given day.
  • modifiedrabbitt
    modifiedrabbitt Posts: 13 Member
    Just pointing out first...suggesting that OP aim to drop 2-3 lbs a week without knowing her starting height or weight is not really the best call. If OP is, for instance, a 5'6" woman who weighs 200 lbs and wants to get down to 125 lb, then 2-3 lbs a week is not at ALL safe or realistic.

I didn't realize I had notifications on this post. :( still fairly new to this app.
    It's almost been a year since this post and I have not lost 75lbs but I have lost 25! So I would like to drop 60 more.

SW 218
    CW 192.4
    Goal 130-135 pounds
    Height 5'6"

I just had my gallbladder taken out two weeks ago and I just had my second baby 3 weeks ago and basically lost my baby weight from my second son but still have some from my first and poor habits I made during his 3 years of life.

I want to turn my life around due to health issues and wanting to be there for my kids and husband to have more energy etc.

I want this to be my lifestyle and not some quick fix.

• ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    The answer to your question is yes, you can potentially lose 75 lbs in a year, but since you want to adopt a new lifestyle, you may need to set your goals a little lower. My personal advice is not to set a timeline for your goals, just adopt a new lifestyle and go along with it. In the long run you will feel better and you will per sure reach your goals.
  • r_b_s_m_g
    r_b_s_m_g Posts: 4 Member
    I lost 20 pounds in 2 months
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,839 Member
    Losing weight too fast can, among other things, be hard on your gall bladder.
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    edited September 2017
    As others here have suggested, I would not put a clock on things. As you will find out if you stick around for awhile, this is not typically a linear process. I was at a crazy pace myself at first, but after awhile one of two things tends to happen. Either A) You eventually fall into a more normal routine that is sustainable and this becomes the new normal, or B ) You carry on with a 3rd Reich style approach until it burns you out and you quit.

Look at it this way: you're losing weight, theoretically anyway, to increase the quality of your life. This can't happen with extreme diets because extreme diets mean you have very little life to speak of other than losing weight. Trust me when I tell you that this is no way to live.