this all adds up doesn't it?

Options
kalebrown87
kalebrown87 Posts: 5 Member
edited November 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I have a pretty active job but short of buying a fitbit is there really any way to account for how much time and energy I've spent riding my bike, walking around, climbing up and down towers and stairs? I would like to be able to account for those activities but they vary so much it's not like I can say I went this far or climbed this much.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Having an active job or lifestyle is part of your overall activity level. It's what you select when you sign up, but you can change it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided

This is the part you want:
    How would you describe your normal daily activities?
    -Sedentary: Spend most of the day sitting (e.g. bank teller, desk job)
    -Lightly Active: Spend a good part of the day on your feet (e.g. teacher, salesman)
    -Active: Spend a good part of the day doing some physical activity (e.g. waitress, mailman)
    -Very Active: Spend most of the day doing heavy physical activity (e.g. bike messenger, carpenter)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Activity setting
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,203 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I have a pretty active job but short of buying a fitbit is there really any way to account for how much time and energy I've spent riding my bike, walking around, climbing up and down towers and stairs? I would like to be able to account for those activities but they vary so much it's not like I can say I went this far or climbed this much.

I do all those things. I time myself, and map out the distances using Google Maps or Ride with GPS, and count how many stairs I climbed.

But if you do all this as part of your job, just pick a higher activity level.
  • kalebrown87
    Options
    I have my activity level set high but does that actually calculate anything? I cant carry my phone in the plant or i would just use it to keep track.
  • kalebrown87
    Options
    Some days are also more sedentary than others
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I have a fitbit and am very active as well if you just want a number from someone who is on his feet all day up and down stairs 10-12 hours its 30000 plus everyday somedays in the high 40,000- I ride a bike 18-21 miles 6 days a week but that doesn't show up on my fitbit as steps hit the gym weights six days a weeks and walk the dogs a mile everyday- did I mention living alone so have to clean everything inside and out and the kids 10 and 12 year old BUSY!!!!!!

The only way I could figure out how many calories to consume was to count them closely and watch the scale everyday to attempt to maintain the same weight for three months straight this gave me a number I could work with then I adjusted my Macro's with the calorie number. it worked great for me hope this helps.