I'm new and I really need some advice

Options
Hello all, I'm new to this! I'm pretty young and currently overweight- I want to change my life... and I'm trying to look good in a bikini in 3 months. I want to lose 1kg/2.2lbs/week. I've done my calculator on here and I should be coming in at 1400 calories to loose weight. For the past two weeks, I have been counting calories religiously and staying within the 1300-1350 range. I've cut out all non water drinks (except hot chocolate/ coffee mornings), no fast food, no bread, no pasta, no rice, meal prep every week. I drink 1.5L of water a day and I've been going to dance class 4 times a week (pole and jazz) and I walk 30 mins a day minimum. What am I doing wrong? I've gained 1kg (2.2lbs in just 2 weeks) and I'm feeling rather discouraged by it. Could this be a water weight thing (which I don't understand by the way?) any advice would be great!

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Water retention can occur with a new workout routine, high sodium the day before weighing, and TOM. If those are the culprit, keep doing as you are doing.

You don't need to cut out all of those things you have, but if it helps you stick to your goals, then do what you wish. Are you counting everything you stick in your mouth (including the hot chocolate)? Are you using a food scale to weight your foods (packages can be up to 20% off, and measuring cups are notoriously inaccurate)? Are you entering in and eating back some of those exercise calories (you should be eating about 50% of them until you know how your body reacts)?

Most importantly, have some patience. The 2lb/week is appropriate for obese people, as you are closer to goal, you should lose more slowly to ensure that you are learning new habits along the way. Take the pressure off yourself about being there in 3 months, make lasting changes, and enjoy your vacation (I'm guessing that what this is for).
  • mutesigorg
    mutesigorg Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply! What is TOM? I'm counting everything- even the tablespoon of nesquik chocolate powder. And usually adding a few extra calories than what I take in on here. I'll usually log 1.5 servings instead of 1- just in case. I'll keep at it. Just thought that weight gain was highly abnormal esp. for 2 weeks :/
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Only girls get a TOM ;D

And you are new to this. Just keep at it your body will respond how you want it to eventually. The time limit is a little concerning for other reasons though. Make lifestyle changes you can keep to for the rest of your life and you'll be bikini ready for the rest of your life :p
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    TOM= Time Of Month.
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    mutesigorg wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply! What is TOM? I'm counting everything- even the tablespoon of nesquik chocolate powder. And usually adding a few extra calories than what I take in on here. I'll usually log 1.5 servings instead of 1- just in case. I'll keep at it. Just thought that weight gain was highly abnormal esp. for 2 weeks :/

The others covered TOM for you. If some of your exercise routine is new, it wouldn't be uncommon to have some gain. The muscles hold onto water for repair. Give some consideration to my other points as well (re: food scale for accurate logging, reducing goal to 1lb/week, and eating back some of those exercise calories; of course if you aren't going to get the scale, don't bother eating back those calories, you are eating more than you realize).
  • saphin
    saphin Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    mutesigorg wrote: »

Are you using a food scale to weigh all solids (including packaged foods as these are rarely of the portion size claimed) and calibrated measuring spoons (not cutlery) for all liquids? If so, using 1.5 servings for the nesquik is not needed. You may be eating more than you think If you are not weighing and measuring.
  • nutmegoreo
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Deleted to remove link to spam profile.
  • JaydedMiss
    Options

2 For More Visit.

Go away

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Water weight. Don't worry about it if you are in a calorie deficit.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    That quite an aggressive goal.

Also, until you are weighing and accurately logging you really don't have a handle on how many calories you are actually consuming.

Buy a food scale.
    Pick a more reasonable rate of loss.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    That quite an aggressive goal.

Also, until you are weighing and accurately logging you really don't have a handle on how many calories you are actually consuming.

Buy a food scale.

It depends on how much the OP has to lose.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,637 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Weight and measure everything to the gram.
    Your statement: "even the tablespoon of nesquik chocolate powder" tells me you don't.
    I would log, when trying to be accurate:
    (at McDonald's): 24floz coffee with 2.66 fl oz 2% milk.
    (at home): 1.5g Taster's choice instant coffee with 51g 2% milk and 1g cinnamon powder.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Might be trying to be too aggressive and body is freaking out a little, but you're young so should be able to get away with it. I'd try for a maximum of 1.5 pounds loss per week personally but that's your prerogative.

Measure food with a digital scale

Give it at least a month before you decide if you've lost weight or not- women retain water at different times of the month- usually right before their period and a little in the middle of their cycle during ovulation, so depending when you first weighed and when you recently weighed the pound + could be that. Or it could be sodium water retention from a salty meal the day before weighing. Or it could be water retention from exercise- when I first started hiking and working out I would gain up to 2 pounds of water weight the day after a tough workout due to muscle repair water retention.

You don't need to cut out all those carbs you know, actually having too little carbs slows the metabolism quicker and reduces fat burning hormones. But too many carbs can have negative effects too- try to have a good balance. I WOULD cut out alcohol for the time being, if you are consuming any.

Make sure you're getting enough protein. Aldo rest/recovery/sleep is just as important as exercise and eating right so don't neglect that.. I would suggest some Strength training exercises in addition to your dance classes and walking. But keep at least 1 or 2 rest days a week (walks are fine on rest days).

Keep at it :)
  • espressoshotsnheavysquats
    Options
    hate to be the one to tell you, you're not eating enough. When you put that much stress on your body (especially at once) it reacts negatively to it and can do the opposite of what you want. You're essentially telling your body to starve and it's like, but I don't wanna. So eat more but just replace the sugary starchy carbs you were eating before with nutritious dense foods like veggies, lean meat, healthy fats... you got this girl. Patience is a virtue, and slow and steady wins the race.
  • JaydedMiss
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Lol 1400 is not to low her body is not starving of shed be losing weight not gaining. Gainin weight from starvation is a lie. CICO. Especially after 2 weeks that wouldn't even have time to effect her metabolism even if it did. She looks smaller than me and im losing just fine on less calories. Just sayin.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    hate to be the one to tell you, you're not eating enough. When you put that much stress on your body (especially at once) it reacts negatively to it and can do the opposite of what you want. You're essentially telling your body to starve and it's like, but I don't wanna. So eat more but just replace the sugary starchy carbs you were eating before with nutritious dense foods like veggies, lean meat, healthy fats... you got this girl. Patience is a virtue, and slow and steady wins the race.

Memo to starving children in Africa.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    You don't gain weight by eating too little. Your body can't produce fat out of thin air. She's not accurately logging her food; she needs a scale and a reasonable goal.
  • mutesigorg
    mutesigorg Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips y'all!! It seems like the reoccurring theme is get a food scale. I'll try to get one of those- I'm in Switzerland and currently our grocery stores put weight on your veggies when you pick them fresh so I've been going by those. But like you said some of the little things like powder I might not be measuring. And I didn't even think about TOM!. I've always done unhealthy dieting methods that have made me lose the 10lbs/15lbs I wanted very quickly. Now that I'm doing things by the book the result wAs discouraging but as you all said maybe it will be better in a week. And for the starving típ honestly I don't get hungry at all- I snack like one banana and one orange and then sometimes I'll take almonds too. I feel not hungry-not full most of the time. But because I've cut out all the foods I love it's hard not to eat chocolate and biscuits and juices! And yes I usually get 10 hours a night- I can't function without sleep!
  • skellymama1
    skellymama1 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I restarted mfp last week.
    I've done none of the things you have done. No exercise other than walking the dog for the obligatory 30 mins daily. No water, it's too cold at the moment I can only drink water when it's warm. I've still eaten bread, pasta, chocolate and biscuits, I've had wine
  • skellymama1
    skellymama1 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Sorry lost half my post.
    Anyway... I've weighed and measured everything. I have measuring spoons and cups and a little digital scale. I eat the same food but stay within my daily goal. I cook from scratch and eat fairly healthily anyway but I was still eating too many calories per day. I've lost 1.4kg first week and am expecting a loss when I weigh in tomorrow.
    The advice is correct, weigh and measure everything accurately and stay within your daily goal.