tattoo???

Options
Ok, first of all, I'm not exactly sure where I should post this, but I have a question.
My grandma died 13 years ago and ever since she did, I had wanted to get a tattoo in her honor...a heart with angel wings.
My parents have never been for the idea. My mom, in particular. She kept saying, you're grandma wouldn't want that.
Well, last year, I finally got it. I absolutely love it. It's a beautiful purple heart with swirls (her fave color was purple). with angel wings. It's on my left shoulder. Here's the problem. I desperately want to wear tank tops when working out because it gets insanely hot in northeastern Montana. I work out primarly with my mom...a year later, she still doesn't know about the tattoo.
I want to tell her, but I don't know how. I'm also worried that she'll be so upset that I won't have a workout partner...and right now, other than my MFP buddies, she's all the support I have.
Anyone have any suggestions???

tat.jpg

Replies

• spinurbuttoff
    Options
    It's beautiful! You're an adult and so is you're mom. She should be able to except you for you. Tell her!!! You'll feel better and mayber she'll surprise you.
  • kamoira23
    kamoira23 Posts: 193
    Options
    Just outright tell her! It'll be easier that way... she'll have to find out eventually!
  • RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I am a big believer that honesty is the best policy....
  • halphord
    halphord Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    i think if you just tell her and show her, she won't be as upset as you think. it's a very nice tattoo and i think she'll realize it's not a huge back piece or something (i imagine she thinks it would be a HUGE piece). When I got my first tattoo (I was 18), I showed my mom and she freaked...thinking it was much larger than it was. Well, of course she got over it, and today she laughs about how ridiculous her initial reaction was. good luck!
  • Neize
    Neize Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    It's beautiful! Be an adult and just tell your Mom!
  • brianna626
    brianna626 Posts: 156
    Options
    Be honest.
  • LessMe2B
    LessMe2B Posts: 316
    Options
    Two words.......CAP SLEEVES :happy:
  • sfredrickson
    Options
    I am a big fan of just telling the truth, BUT If you decide to hide it, all you have to do is buy a regular tanktop and then wear an aerobic tank top underneath it. The 2 shirts wont line up and 99% of your back and shoulders will be covered. Here in PA, we have very hot sun in the summer and I burn while running outdoors. I use both shirts at one time to stop from burning. Works great. Good Luck.
  • monoxidechick
    Options
    I would say tell her, its going to be harder and worse the longer you put it off!!

Where in MT are you at? I currently live in havre and I am from Missoula.
  • balbannock
    Options
    If one of my daughters got a tattoo, I'd be disgusted, but I wouldn't quit talking to them. Even if she hates it, she will eventually quit talking about it.
  • vdavis_89
    vdavis_89 Posts: 334
    Options
    First of all its a very nice tattoo and its not like its a "tramp stamp" or a giant thing across your back lol there are plenty of worse things you could have on you body lol I have 3 tattoos myself and they all have meanings to me. Just explain to her that it is your way of keeping her spirit alive in a sense. I have a butterfly with a halo on my back/shoulder in honor of my favorite aunt she loved butterflies and when she passed i knew at that moment I had to do it. I think she wil understand.... its your body not hers! Your a big kid and you dont need mommy's permission anymore. Another note..... I pierced my nose and my mom was PISSED, almost took me out of her wedding but she came to terms with it and got over it.... its you body and you can do what you want with it! Good luck and add me if you need a little more support!
  • lauramorris85
    Options
    How does your mom feel about tattoos in general? I don't think you should hide the fact that you have the tattoo. When your mom see's how beautiful it is and that it actually has meaning (unlike a lot of tattoos now a days), she'll appreciate it and love it just as much.
  • tkdgirl23
    tkdgirl23 Posts: 36
    Options
    I think that you need to show her, that you are an adult , by telling her in a confident way. Mom, I know you weren't for me getting a tattoo, but I decided to go ahead and get a beautiful one for me. Because it reminds me of Grandma.. Now, ready to hit the elliptical!

She may or may not get slightly upset , but you will quickly change the subject and move on with your workout.

I have a very strict and old fashion mother, I found to just be straight with her is the best way.

Good luck!:glasses:
  • 1234lbsgone
    1234lbsgone Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Just tell her. You are both adults, you did it in memory of someone you both love, it's not tacky or offensive......

Before you tell her, get rid of your expectations of her reaction. Just tell her, show her, and move on. Let her have her moment, but stand firm that you make your own choices. Be confident. When you look back you will both think, what was the big deal anyway?
  • LMorrison1009
    LMorrison1009 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Just wear the tank top and when she asks say "I told you I got this a year ago!" :laugh: maybe not? My mom hates all of my tattoos and my nose piercing. And my crazy hair colors. But she loves me anyway. I'm sure you're building it up so much in your head but she probably won't make it such a big deal. Just tell her why it meant so much to get it and even if she doesn't agree she will atleast respect your decision.
  • schaapj2
    schaapj2 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I had a very similar situation...one day I just decided it was time. i just walked out with it uncovered and let my parents see. Like others have said...you are an adult and hopefully she is too. And your decision to put something permanant on your body was well thought out and means something special to you. How could she argue that?
  • ivansmomma
    ivansmomma Posts: 500
    Options
    I would just tell her. This is in honor and memory of a loved one. I have three myself, and wear them proudly as they all have meaning . Hoping to get another one soon. Good luck!
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    its a beautiful tattoo and im sure ur nan would be honoured that your remembering her.
    you need to remind ur mum that your an adult.
    and that she needs to let u go, and that its ok ur not going anywhere.
    and that she doesnt need to worry about looseing u too.
    i know thats how my mum saw it when my nan died and i considered getting a tattoo in memory.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I got a tattoo when I was 19 1/2, lived at home, showed my mom the next day and my parents sat me down and yelled at me for about an hour, telling me I should "seriously consider getting it removed", having no idea it would cost 10x more than the tattoo did. My dad told my grandma if I came home with another one, he'd kick me out. Luckily, I moved out shortly after. 3 years later, my parents don't say anything about... though they don't like my nose ring, or my rook ring, or my cartilage ring. But, they don't really talk about it. So get a grip and just wear a tank top that SHOWS IT OFF and see what happens. You'll be working out so if she pisses you off, you can work off your aggression! Treadmill anyone? lol!
  • Erica002
    Erica002 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Show her. My mom wasn't proud of me when I got mine done, but she finally accepted it eventually. She's your mom, she won't disown you. Just tell her and try not to show it off infront of her until she's comfortable with it.