Paul McKenna : I can make you thin

Options
Hello guys, I am thinking of giving Paul McKenna I can make you thin a try. Reaching out to all of you to know if you have tried his book and CD and has it worked for any of you?

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Jakep2323 wrote: »
    What donut flagged me. Of course it is about cico etc - but using a book to help you mentally with cravings etc can't do any harm. Is possible to use cico and other tools

The OP would do better to spend the money on a food scale.

PS- It wasn't me ;)
  • Wombat468
    Wombat468 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    It's a good book, and can help you stick to your calorie goal - addresses the psychological side of eating.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    If this is a book about eating less and moving more, and some perspectives on maintaining a positive mindset, I'd go out and buy it just to support the author. We talk a lot here about nobody writes a book about CICO because common sense doesn't sell, so I'd like to see a book like that be successful :)

eta: Yikes! I accidently misspelled a word into a racial slur and the kitten filter let it go through! Good lord!
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,452 Member
    Options
    I tried, and it didn't work for me. However, I had a friend who found it worked for her, so maybe it's an individual thing.

It's not about eating less and moving more or CICO, though. I'd describe it as more about mindful or intuitive eating. IIRC (it's years since I did it!) he encourages you to learn to gauge your hunger, to eat when you're hungry and to stop eating when you're satiated. He did a TV programme on it a few years back, and maybe you might be able to find it on youtube. It did seem to work for the people who took part, but I have to say that they were eating a LOT - just about anything would have worked!

Personally, I found that it didn't fit with my lifestyle. I'm not able to just eat when I'm hungry. Leaving aside work and so on, I prepare my meals from scratch and some are slow cooking, and to be honest, I'm not going to not eat a meal I spend a long time making, or eat something else before it's ready because I'm hungry now, or not start cooking it until really late at night because I'm not hungry until then, and so on. But obviously, people are different and I'm not knocking it. If nothing else it would be an interesting experiment in seeing how your hunger signals work for you.
  • Lucy1752
    Lucy1752 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    What donut flagged me. Of course it is about cico etc - but using a book to help you mentally with cravings etc can't do any harm. Is possible to use cico and other tools

Donut...lol

Great shirt btw!
  • eml1909
    eml1909 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    For crying out loud - you can pick up a copy (including the CD) on eBay for around £2.99, so those people suggesting it's a waste of money are a little wide of the mark!

Also - it's not "either/or" (i.e. it's not a choice between Paul McKenna and CICO). On the contrary, the former assists with the latter.

I don't find the book itself very helpful, but I think the CD is excellent and I am finding it a huge boost. Been listening to it every day for the last 2 weeks, and I'm finding a big difference in terms of dealing with hunger / reducing cravings and increasing exercise. I know a number of other people who have found the CD a great help.

Of course there are people who didn't find it very beneficial, but for £2.99 it's definitely worth a go!

• trigden1991
    Options
    eml1909 wrote: »
    For crying out loud - you can pick up a copy (including the CD) on eBay for around £2.99, so those people suggesting it's a waste of money are a little wide of the mark!

Also - it's not "either/or" (i.e. it's not a choice between Paul McKenna and CICO). On the contrary, the former assists with the latter.

I don't find the book itself very helpful, but I think the CD is excellent and I am finding it a huge boost. Been listening to it every day for the last 2 weeks, and I'm finding a big difference in terms of dealing with hunger / reducing cravings and increasing exercise. I know a number of other people who have found the CD a great help.

Of course there are people who didn't find it very beneficial, but for £2.99 it's definitely worth a go!

But I could be spending that £2.99 on food............
  • peter2100
    peter2100 Posts: 101 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    All you need is a calorie deficit.

You are right in the technical sense, but there's a lot of psychological, emotional, habitual or even biochemical blocks for a lot of people that makes it a lot easier said than done.

I could never do it until I radically changed my mindset, values, self image, food psychology and habits. Something that has only recently come into alignment for me.

For one, the type of food you eat makes a massive difference. You could lose weight in a caloric deficit eating only chocolate, being hungry and craving more food the whole time, but that's a different thing from eating plants to satiety and the caloric deficit being a side effect of your natural satiety.

Anyone can lose weight in the short term, but the trick is losing weight consisently until you get slim, and then staying that way for years, maintaining that weight loss is one of the hardest things for most people. How many people here have already lost a lot of weight in the past and put it all back on again? I bet a lot.

I haven't read or seen Paul Mckenna's books, but if it's about changing your psychology, it might be useful for many people.
  • ladyteapot
    ladyteapot Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have this and I'm using it..I gave up smoking almost 9 years ago using his techniques.
    Sure people are posting 'all you need is a calorie deficit' that's great and it's true! But if you need an extra bit of motivation to help change your mindset then what's the harm! Best of luck :)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I have not read this book, but I find books or articles that make the act of controlling calories take less mental effort to be great, like ways to change the environment around you or creating habits here and there that aid with that purpose. I find having to mentally restrict 500 calories to be harder than restricting 250 calories by default without even thinking then only putting mental work into 250.

If you feel the book will aid you in any way, go for it!
  • trigden1991
    Options
    Lol - you're the sort of fella that splits a restaurant bill to the penny :)

Nope. But when it comes to food, that's serious ;)