Family friendly meal ideas???

Options
curvychristi
curvychristi Posts: 1 Member
I have a big hungry man at home, and between 2-4 kids that I have to try and satisfy on any given evening lol. No one is particularly picky, but it can be challenging to eat correctly with all those bellies to fill. Any tried and true recipes/meal ideas? I'm a good cook and fairly creative, but I'll take any help I can get! Thank you

Replies

• vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    If you're from the USA and your family likes hearty comfort food and USA-style home cooking, I highly recommend the following (all available on Amazon):

Healthy Homestyle Cooking, Evelyn Tribole
    More Healthy Homestyle Cooking, Evelyn Tribole
    Healthy Homestyle Desserts, Evelyn Tribole

I own all three, the recipes are easy and delicious.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Start with http://www.skinnytaste.com/

Also http://theskinnyfork.com/

Check out cookinglight.com, eatingwell.com, slenderkitchen.com too.
  • samanthaandshaneswedding2016
    Options
    Try slimmingeats aswell
  • AndOne8675
    AndOne8675 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    We do fancy baked potatoes with lots of toppings: broccoli, wilted chopped spinach, cheese, greek yo or cottage cheese, peas, chopped bacon or beans...chili. Basically what ever you have on hand that would be great on a baked potato. I have 2 littles 2 and 4 and they love to make their own. Super cheap, quick, filling and healthy...depending which toppings you pick.
  • JennaMatthews07
    JennaMatthews07 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    A great thing to make is chicken and veggie rice. It's a one pot, amazing meal. Carrots, celery, white onion; are cooked until onions are translucent. Add garlic, and cook for a few more minutes, then remove it from the pot. Then add butter, and melt it, and then add the chicken which has been seasoned with salt and pepper. Cook until slightly crispy on outside of both sides. Add everything back to the pot, along with rice, broth and thyme. Bring the broth to a boil, then simmer for 25-30 mins. Add frozen peas, allow them to soften, then serve warm.
  • pearso21123
    pearso21123 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I have four kids; one who is a very picky eater. Plus a husband. My go-to quick and easy meal is pasta (whatever shape you happen to have) plus cheese (which of course makes macaroni and cheese, a crowd favorite). Add peas and hamburger or broccoli and tuna for a moderately healthy, one-pot meal that everyone loves. I cook the broccoli right in with the pasta. You can probably come up with other combinations, those are just my family's favorites. You can toss in pretty much any vegetable and any meat.
  • delicaterealms
    delicaterealms Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    vegan/vegetarian meals
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Well, protein, fats and fiber are the things that satisfy most people so recipes with those things might hit the spot more.
    They need different amounts of calories than you. You could figure that out for each family member.
    Give them larger portion sizes than you or let them add things like cheese, potato, rice or bread to their meal while you eat more vegetables.
    You can mix beans or lentils with taco meat to make it more filling.
    Black bean potato nachos are filling.
    Individual pizzas are easy to customize the toppings for each family member.
    Soup or stew. My family likes minestrone, fassolatha, tomato, lemon lentil, ham and bean soup, beef stew, chili.