running vs walking???

Options
Today I tried something different. Instead of my usual run,walk,jog,run,walk,jog I tried just walking on the treadmill for the same time but with the incline on the treadmill on max. My mileage wasn't close too what I usually do, and the calories burned were off by 60. I noticed my heart rate stood steady 138-145. When I do my normal routine my heart rate jumps high to low. Im just wondering if I'm wasting my time? One pro too walking is a lot less pain, running is hard on shins and legs

Replies

• squashaclein
    Options
    i always believe that as long as you sweat for more than 20minutes it really doesnt matter what you do...its all beneficial
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    i always believe that as long as you sweat for more than 20minutes it really doesnt matter what you do...its all beneficial

Such a great point! It's not a waste at all!
  • FL_Nettie
    FL_Nettie Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    My trainer loves to put me on the treadmill with a high incline to pump up the heartrate. He also tells me it's good to switch things up so your body doesn't get too used to a particular exercise. I think it's really just a matter of which you prefer. If I don't feel like the pounding of running, I'll walk with the incline to burn calories.
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Try the barefoot (forefoot) running style, you will not have that shin and leg pain. I used to have problems with my shins and knees when running, even in my 20's. With this style I have non of that and I am in my 40's.
  • lisab42
    lisab42 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
  • mmp0001
    mmp0001 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You are targeting a different muscle group. Don't think its a waste, in-fact changing up your workout challenges your body. Keep in mind that you still burn calories after your workout that you are not accounting for. Have you tried the elliptical...I find it easier on my knees.
  • treeman821
    treeman821 Posts: 20
    Options
    That was a great article lisab42. Thank you all for your advise