Cottage cheese vs Oatmeal for breakfast.

Options
I used to eat oatmeal and fruit for breakfast, but now I eat cottage cheese and fruit. One half cup of rolled oats has 190 calories and 7 grams of protein. One half cup of 2% cottage cheese has 90 calories and 11 grams of protein. It seems like the cottage cheese is a better choice. The oatmeal has more fiber but I get that from all the fruit and veggies that I eat. Cottage cheese is more expensive than oatmeal but I can afford it. Is there any other nutritional reason where oatmeal might be better than cottage cheese?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i don't find oatmeal (porridge to me!) filling at all, so its not my usual breakfast choice, but really its whatever fits your cals and macros for the day that is best.

if you like both why not alternate?

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Neither would fill me up, lol. But oatmeal has fiber than cottage cheese doesn't have (and is supposedly good for cholesterol).
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup of rolled oats is 150 calories, not 190 (or are you including the fruit in this number?). I love oatmeal and eat it almost every day, either in the morning or at night for supper. I usually do 2 packets of flavored instant oats with 1/4 cup of milk added after it's cooked (I prepare it with water). This fills me up for several hours, I can't imagine cottage cheese doing the same (I look at that as more of a side dish). But you just need to experiment and see what works best for you!
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I have porridge for breakfast plus a boiled egg and cottage cheese as snack ( with fruit)
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I like both, but I prefer cottage cheese for the protein and fat. I feel more satiated when I have it than I do when I have oatmeal.. but I still eat both.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Lisa_Ookoo wrote: »
    I used to eat oatmeal and fruit for breakfast, but now I eat cottage cheese and fruit. One half cup of rolled oats has 190 calories and 7 grams of protein. One half cup of 2% cottage cheese has 90 calories and 11 grams of protein. It seems like the cottage cheese is a better choice. The oatmeal has more fiber but I get that from all the fruit and veggies that I eat. Cottage cheese is more expensive than oatmeal but I can afford it. Is there any other nutritional reason where oatmeal might be better than cottage cheese?

Better choice doesn't necessarily have anything to do with calories, at least not exclusively...I mean, that might be part of the decision making process, but you're also talking about two completely different nutritional profiles. Calories aren't evil...they are necessary...

Oats are a fantastic source of soluble fiber which you don't really get with your veggies...you would get it in some fruits. Personally, I eat oats a few days per week and omelettes and the like other days.

As far as X has more protein so it must be a better choice...well, that's just bull crap. If you need more protein to hit your targets than X with more protein might be a better choice...but ultimately you only need so much protein and going over that is just making more expensive glucose.
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I do all kinds of delicious things to my oatmeal. It's a wonderful healthy base for so many options. Cottage cheese is okay, but really it just would get boring. I look forward to my oatmeal (therefore stay compliant to my deficit.)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I'd always want something else beyond cottage cheese and fruit, but that's just me -- cottage cheese and oatmeal with berries might work, I enjoy cottage cheese as a side with a vegetable omelet.

But to answer your question, if it works for you, it's fine.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Which is "better" depends on your needs and the rest of your diet.
  • mylifeisbeautiful
    mylifeisbeautiful Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I eat both- together!!
  • CaptainJoy
    CaptainJoy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Lisa_Ookoo wrote: »
    Is there any other nutritional reason where oatmeal might be better than cottage cheese?

Nutrition needs vary from person to person. I prefer the higher protein and calcium that cottage cheese provides over the extra fiber that oatmeal provides.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I eat both, but at different times during the day. Never viewed cottage cheese as a breakfast item..more like a snack, a side dish, or a condiment. I tend to prefer oatmeal for breakfast - not so much because of any arbitrary "healthiness", but just because I like to mix fruit, chocolate, nuts, etc into it more so than I would cottage cheese, and it keeps me satiated better.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    They have different vitamins, minerals, fat content, etc. Compare the labels. Both choices are fine.
    Look at your whole day. What food helps you meet your needs best that day? What fills you up more? Which do you like better?
    Is there any reason you have to eat the same thing every day?

I typically eat stuff like Greek yogurt, granola bars, cereal with milk, sandwich, dinner leftovers, fruit, or cottage cheese for breakfast.

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    If you need more carbs/calories then oatmeal is "better". If you need more protein or less calories cottage cheese is "better". It completely depends on your goals.
  • AprilDrezlin
    AprilDrezlin Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I find that cottage cheese (full fat -- low fat has terrible texture and not as good flavor!) on a piece of wheat toast is a good, filling breakfast. Probably most people would like fruit with it, but I like tomatoes. (Tomato slices for breakfast is a tradition in the southern US.)
  • Charis50
    Charis50 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I mix and match them in any given week, just to avoid boredom...and eggs are in the usual breakfast rotation as well. It all depends on what I'm in the mood for and (as @trigden1991 suggests) what sort of macros I may be looking at for the day.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Charis50 wrote: »
    I mix and match them in any given week, just to avoid boredom...and eggs are in the usual breakfast rotation as well. It all depends on what I'm in the mood for and (as @trigden1991 suggests) what sort of macros I may be looking at for the day.

My random "rotation" includes Greek yogurt, All-Bran cereal, eggs, peanut butter on Wasa crackers, and leftovers from the previous night's supper. Since we sleep the morning away (retired), breakfast is also lunch.