Question

Options
Hi everyone I'm new to the site and am hoping that this app helps me stay on track ! I do Crossfit about 3 times a week and I love it and I have gained muscle however, my mid section I feel has made me feel not so great! :( I have gained a lot of weight in my mid section and I don't know if it's because of the heavy lifting and not as much cardio? Has anyone else struggled with this I'm 37 and I'm a year went from 115 to 124 any feedback appreciated :)

Replies

• DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Unfortunately we're unable, to spot reduce; without surgery. Also exercise'll cause you to gain muscle, not fat. So the type of exercise, doesn't matter! You only gain fat, by consuming more calories, than you burn! I believe that you're gaining weight, via fat because you're greatly overestimating, just how much you're able to consume; via your exercising. Exercise caloric burns're typically unrealistically high & thus it's recommended, to consume just 50% ~ 75%; of them!
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I doubt you gained weight in your mid section from heavy lifting. You will burn fat from exercising thought, regardless of the type of exercise. Just keep on eating healthier, keep up the exercising. From articles I've read weight loss is more from burning more calories than you consume versus exercising a lot so make sure you are accurately recording what you eat. I've lost a lot of weight just from changing what I eat...I lost 75 pounds at one point before I added ANY type of an exercise routine into my lifestyle.

Good luck!!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    imbrdsilly wrote: »
    Hi everyone I'm new to the site and am hoping that this app helps me stay on track ! I do Crossfit about 3 times a week and I love it and I have gained muscle however, my mid section I feel has made me feel not so great! :( I have gained a lot of weight in my mid section and I don't know if it's because of the heavy lifting and not as much cardio? Has anyone else struggled with this I'm 37 and I'm a year went from 115 to 124 any feedback appreciated :)

No, it's from consuming more calories than you're using, and from genetics deciding that the excess energy should be stored as fat in your midsection.
  • llello75
    llello75 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Actually, your wieght gain is most likely from muscle gain and not fat. How does your clothes fit?
    Think about it like this, picture what a pound of marshmallows would look like compared to a pound of sugar (marshmallows being the fat and sugar being the muscle). The pound of marshmallows would be bulky and take up more space than a pound of sugar. A pound of sugar would be hard compact taking least space. Even though they both wiegh the same.
    Are year ago I weighed 245 and now I weigh 265 but my clothes fit the same and some even fit loose
  • imbrdsilly
    imbrdsilly Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for feedback I guess the struggle is my mid section my clothes fit tighter I actually had to go up 2 sizes because of my thighs to many squats !
  • imbrdsilly
    imbrdsilly Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Oops too